3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is MDS really beneficial?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '06 300C got 21.3 mpg on a recent trip. Avg. speed was 74 and change.

Don't rely on the computer or the trip odometer, either for that matter. A GPS will be more accurate than the odo.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evo8
That is exactly what I am doing.

Here is a procedure list for me:

1. Run until 1/4 of a tank is left...

2. Reset all computers (dash and dome light)

3. Fill it up to full....

4. Run until 1/4 of a tank is left...

5. Record how many miles were driven.

6. Divide the miles driven by the number of gallons put in

So for instance I have driven 300 miles on 22 gallons. Real calculation tells me 13.6 mpg, where my computer would be telling me 17-18 mpg I have driven since I have reset it (before fill up)

This thing always worked with my infiniti QX-56, my computer reading would always match real world calculations
You're doing it wrong...add another fill up between #4 and #5 and use those gallons added into your calculations.. not from the first fill-up. And for both of those fill ups use the same amount....so if you top off on the first one top off the second. Make sure you get an odo reading at the first fill up too.

Also it doesn't matter how much fuel you have in the tank before you start.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find I get better mileage numbers runing the truck down till the low flue light comes on on the over head, (I can drive and drive when the low flue lite comes on on the dash) Than I flue up.

As expected, I get awsome mileage numbers on the highway at 60 mph, I have the 35 gallon tank ( standard on long boxs ) City mileage sucks, but I can cheat a bit costing down hills.

When I drive with a full tank on thw highway, the DTE numbers go up as I drive, not down, once I have gone threw a 1/4 tank the coumputer is close to real time math.

MdS is a great idea, but its not going to beat a manual transmisson for MPG.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:24 AM
justanothermoparman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my Ram the MDS will kick in as low as 11-12 m.p.h. I know this because my Edge Evo has a MDS display. Just accelerate as if you had a marble on your hood and you will see.

Quick Reply: Is MDS really beneficial?