3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Towing - Downhill Manageability

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Rojhan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeech
My Prodigy warns me about cut wires or the plug not plugged in. Any open wires it will detect and give me a warning screen. i luv it! it's also inertia braking and not one setting all the time.

Proper weight ditribution will stop the "wagging tail" motion or any other problems such as bad mpg's or squishing the suspension.
I have had 7k a few times and the truck pulls no problem. The Tow/haul mode uses a trans kick down for down hill braking. it helps out alot, where most times you barely have to touch the brakes.
The hemi's can pull 10k, but it's the bracketry and frame that restrict it. Th brakes are oversized already so you have a benefit already.
I set my brakes so when I'm moving at 10mph and slam on the brakes with an empty trailer, the tires just start wanting to lock up and slide. When the trailer is loaded, I make sure I can feel the trailer stopping the truck before the truck stops itself. You want to hear the ball hitch draw tight so it will have a clunk or similar sound when you hit your brakes at a slower speed. if you set your controller up to do that, your truck won't need to work any harder than it does empty other than taking off ot going uphill.
Yup. I have the prodigy as well. The wires apparently got pinched while driving. It would be a nice feature to have the controller start beeping if the connection got lost while driving rather than just changing the display. I set the contorller like you do, you can feel the trailer start to hold back the truck a little bit.

Even with the controller set properly, it's still a smart idea to give a lot of extra room when braking.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 PM
a4twenty
Professional

brake fade isn't nearly as big of a problem with disk brakes ( opposed to drums ) but can still be an issue if your trailer isn't set up / loaded properly. as other have pointed out, proper loading techniques and trailer brake setup are far more important than the stock brakes on your ram.

Originally Posted by Rojhan
Even with the controller set properly, it's still a smart idea to give a lot of extra room when braking.
very good advice

Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have often towed about 7500 lbs with my Hemi QC. I have trailer brakes on all 4 wheels and it stops fine. I too use a weight distribution hitch as well.
Unless you have a Laramie, you probably only have rear ABS on the truck, but with trailer brakes, it doesn't matter too much.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:26 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
I have often towed about 7500 lbs with my Hemi QC. I have trailer brakes on all 4 wheels and it stops fine. I too use a weight distribution hitch as well.
Unless you have a Laramie, you probably only have rear ABS on the truck, but with trailer brakes, it doesn't matter too much.
it would matter alot i think...because the hitch actually picks up the rear tires in a sense..making the rears easier to lock.

That said, in my dakota, I got the rear ABS to kick in, and it scared me. I went from Max-G braking, to pulsing between brake and no brake...i just pitched it in the ditch to scrub speed....way too close a call.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:12 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

My fist tow, some dim witted woman turned left right across in front of me when I had about 8200lbs in tow (firewood). When I slammed on the brakes, it was slowing but the fronts locked due to no abs. The rears held as did the trailer brakes of that Cavalier would have been a spot in the road!!
This was my point on not needing ABS on the front, I think it would have hurt me more than it helped in that situation.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:05 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by lxman1
My fist tow, some dim witted woman turned left right across in front of me when I had about 8200lbs in tow (firewood). When I slammed on the brakes, it was slowing but the fronts locked due to no abs. The rears held as did the trailer brakes of that Cavalier would have been a spot in the road!!
This was my point on not needing ABS on the front, I think it would have hurt me more than it helped in that situation.
There are just some circumstances in which ABS will hurt, other cases it will help.

However, I think if a vehicle is going to have ABS, it should keep all 4 from locking. In your case, ABS would have hurt because you needed all the brakes you could get. In my case, I wanted more brakes, and ABS took them away. Basically the same situation, where the front and rear wheels disagreed. Overall, i think ABS sucks and should be disablable on dry pavement, but it's very valuable in slick conditions to prevent hydroplaning (even if you lose braking power).

Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

How come the Ford F-150s are much more superior when it comes to towing than the Ram 1500s? I've noticed the Hemi is much more powerful than the Triton engines, yet the frames on the F-150s feel like dump trucks.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
How come the Ford F-150s are much more superior when it comes to towing than the Ram 1500s? I've noticed the Hemi is much more powerful than the Triton engines, yet the frames on the F-150s feel like dump trucks.
1 word: 545RFE

Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 AM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Much as I hate to say it, I think the Fords are actually built to be used and abused. The Dodges are more of a street truck built for looks.

I've only been a Dodge owner for about a month but the Fords and Chevy's I've had in the past were just built beefier. Everything from the sheet metal and interior to frame and suspension.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Weak transmissions and differentials. The frame is ok, but the suspension is tuned way too soft for my liking.
Besides, I wouldn't want to tow 11K with a 1/2 ton truck anyway. 8K is more than enough.

Quick Reply: Hemi Towing - Downhill Manageability