3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Towing - Downhill Manageability

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Ram4wd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Towing - Downhill Manageability

I have read here, and else where, that the Hemi WILL readily pull 7,000 lbs worth of trailer load!

I have an '06 RCLB 1500 4x4. According to Dodge it is rated to a max towing weight of 8,650 lbs.

So, assuming my truck will be configured with a brake controller and weight distributing hitch, who has experience towing at least this 7,000 lbs. of trailer behind a Hemi on a decent downhill grade?

I hope to learn of any braking or controllability issues; I am already aware of the arguments for a heavier truck. However, the above keeps me in line with design specifications for my current vehicle. This would be a hitch pull; not a 5th wheel or gooseneck setup.

I am most concerned with issues such as brake fade, or tail wagging the dog actions; plus any other significant issues which I may not have yet considered.

Thanks,

Old 05-01-2009, 08:08 AM
07Hemi696
Amateur

I have a 30 Surveyor Travel Trailer that I tow with my Hemi Quad Cab. It weighs a little over 6000 lbs dry. I have the electronic brake controller, weight distributing hitch and sway bar for towing. I have no issues at all towing or stopping. The camper and truck stop surprisingly well. I had to make a very hard sudden stop on the Interstate a couple of weekends ago due to some road construction and the A-Hole in front of me.......The truck stopped just fine. As long as you are within the towing limits of your truck you should be ok.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
V10Venom
Captain

I don't have the Hemi but these Dodges stop. I had to borrow my father-in-law's Chevy the other weekend and their brakes straight up suck!! It didn't squat nearly as bad and did feal a lot better considering it had half of the miles on it. But the brakes on the Dodge are 5x better.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

It's not really about the truck as much as it is about the trailer. As long as the trailer has good brakes that are adjusted properly you should be good to go.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Rojhan
Veteran

I've had my trailer brakes fail (pinched wires) on my 1500 with about 7,000lbs on the truck. I was able to come to a surprise stop from ~40Mph without squishing the car in front of me (which "surprised" me by cutting in front of me coming up on a red light).

Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

agreed. Trailer brakes are 75% of the equasion on downhills, truck brakes are 25%.

That said, with our 4 ton dually and 4.5 ton race car trailer on the gravevine in california, the dually kicked all the belts, with hydroboost steering/brakes. With trailer brakes only, the whole rig stopped in about 2 miles on a downhill road from 75 MPH.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Cheeech
Banned

Originally Posted by Rojhan
I've had my trailer brakes fail (pinched wires) on my 1500 with about 7,000lbs on the truck. I was able to come to a surprise stop from ~40Mph without squishing the car in front of me (which "surprised" me by cutting in front of me coming up on a red light).

My Prodigy warns me about cut wires or the plug not plugged in. Any open wires it will detect and give me a warning screen. i luv it! it's also inertia braking and not one setting all the time.

Proper weight ditribution will stop the "wagging tail" motion or any other problems such as bad mpg's or squishing the suspension.
I have had 7k a few times and the truck pulls no problem. The Tow/haul mode uses a trans kick down for down hill braking. it helps out alot, where most times you barely have to touch the brakes.
The hemi's can pull 10k, but it's the bracketry and frame that restrict it. Th brakes are oversized already so you have a benefit already.
I set my brakes so when I'm moving at 10mph and slam on the brakes with an empty trailer, the tires just start wanting to lock up and slide. When the trailer is loaded, I make sure I can feel the trailer stopping the truck before the truck stops itself. You want to hear the ball hitch draw tight so it will have a clunk or similar sound when you hit your brakes at a slower speed. if you set your controller up to do that, your truck won't need to work any harder than it does empty other than taking off ot going uphill.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Ram4wd
Rookie

Thanks everyone!

You guys are hitting the specific points I had questions on.

Good day to all!!

Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by 07Hemi696
I have a 30 Surveyor Travel Trailer that I tow with my Hemi Quad Cab. It weighs a little over 6000 lbs dry. I have the electronic brake controller, weight distributing hitch and sway bar for towing. I have no issues at all towing or stopping. The camper and truck stop surprisingly well. I had to make a very hard sudden stop on the Interstate a couple of weekends ago due to some road construction and the A-Hole in front of me.......The truck stopped just fine. As long as you are within the towing limits of your truck you should be ok.
Is your truck the mega cab thats "almost" a 3/4 ton or just the standard quad cab 1500?

Good thread, I recently purchased a 1500 Hemi and was concerned about it being able to handle 5500-6000lbs.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Ram4wd
Rookie

Mine is a Regular Cab - Long Bed 1500 4x4.

Quick Reply: Hemi Towing - Downhill Manageability