3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07' Hemi, True Duals, CODE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
wish I'da known that when we had the one on our 02 firebird done...good info to keep handy
Did you get a letter from GM a 1-2 years ago? They extended theirs to 10yr 100k on f-bodies due to so many cat failures.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wonder why they are failing??

Haven't even made them since 02

Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Cats are designed to last the life of the vehicle....if they go out it's usually because they're either defective from the factory or there's something wrong with the engine. I'm surprised rams don't have more cat failures with the factory tune being so damn rich.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Cheeech
Banned

Originally Posted by BromR1
I have a 2007 Hemi half ton with 60,000 miles. Yesterday I got true duals, 3 inch with single chamber mufflers. It is a cat back system and all sensors are in the original location.

Any ideas? Does it need some more back pressure? Too much heat? or not enough.

First off....A TRUE DUAL system is from the headerss back, not from catback. The catback means the headers meet and form into 1 pipe and then go back into 2 pipes. That's not technically a true dual. It's merely a dual catback set-up.

Also, backpressure was for older cars with carbuerators. Newer Fuel injected vehicles do not need the backpressure like those older models did because the ack of carb.
Backpressure is merely in throtle lag or low/high performance. No back pressure(open headers) will cause a small noticeable difference off the line, so you would loose a little bit of torque. If you cut off all of your catback off that you just had put on, your truck would run just fine.
I think the exhaust pulses are causing the code. When you go from 2 exhaust pipes(manifolds) into 1 pipe and then back into 2 pipes, the pulses fight each other and actually result in a loss of performance. it's been dyno proven.
I'm gonna venture out and say your dealer won't even look at your truck because it didn't do this before the change.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Either they messed up your sensor, taking it out or plugging it back in or there is an exhaust leak/bad weld somewhere. Have the place that did the work double check their job. You just paid them, make them do it right!

Old 05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cheeech
First off....A TRUE DUAL system is from the headerss back, not from catback. The catback means the headers meet and form into 1 pipe and then go back into 2 pipes. That's not technically a true dual. It's merely a dual catback set-up.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the 3rd gens have 2 exhaust manifolds which run into 2 cats (1 for each manifold) and then 2 pipes into a crappy Y which ends w/ a single muffler and tailpipe. So to make true duals all that is needed is cutting off from behind the cats and running 2 separate pipes w/ or w/o mufflers.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Correct, Chambers.

There is usually one or two resonators in there somewhere as well, but all in the large 3" single part of the system. On my 08 it is behind the axle in the tailpipe after the muffler
Name:  IMG_0104-1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0112-1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  108.3 KB

Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 AM
BromR1

Like I said it is true duals. There are 2 cats on the hemi's and the pipes never touch. I think one of 2 things have happened. O2 sensor got bumped/damaged at the shop or the fact that there is no resistance on that side that the sensor is reading an exhaust leak. They are looking at the truck today. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 PM
meen green machine
Professional

ever find out what happened? i have an 07 and got the p0430 code right after putting on a true dual exhaust and all the work was done behind the rear o2

Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 AM
BromR1

It was a bad cat. They fixed it under warranty but because my exhaust is now welded i had to take the cats to my muffler shop and pay them a few bucks to install it. But the cat was free.

Quick Reply: 07' Hemi, True Duals, CODE