3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disconnecting Front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
74charger
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man that awesome, and the welding fabbing should be no problem, my dads a journeyman welder/fabber so im sure he can give me a hand. I'll probably take it off this weekend and see if it actually does make a difference and if so then im deffintely gonna try fabbign something up .

Old 05-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Cheeech
Banned

Running without a front sway bar increases the potential of the back end coming around without notice while in a turn going into a highway or driving normal on the road in a rain storm. Sway bars work the opposite ends of the car/truck.

I'm sure if your are driving within the speed limits and drive with care, you'll be fine.

Towing without one attached isn't good news if the brakes need to be used heavily in any corner or downhill!

Old 05-03-2009, 04:21 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Your right, towing without a sway bar, isnt a smart idea. Like I stated above, the front end of a truck was designed with a swaybar, so its probably best that you use it.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you only have 2wd, more articulation in the front end of your vehicle will do nothing at all to help you.
people use the swaybar trick to get more traction in the front when offroading, meaning more contact with the ground to get grip, usually when rock crawling. if you only have 2wd, why would you need the front tires to grip the ground? also, the amount of articulation your going to get really isnt going to change at all unless you also change out your bumpstops to shorter ones. and still you would see no performance advantage over leaving the sway bar where it is.
so unless your rockcrawling with a 4x4, i wouldnt waste my time.

Last edited by nim81; 05-03-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nim81
if you only have 2wd, more articulation in the front end of your vehicle will do nothing at all to help you.
people use the swaybar trick to get more traction in the front when offroading, meaning more contact with the ground to get grip, usually when rock crawling. if you only have 2wd, why would you need the front tires to grip the ground? also, the amount of articulation your going to get really isnt going to change at all unless you also change out your bumpstops to shorter ones. and still you would see no performance advantage over leaving the sway bar where it is.
+1^^^

Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by nim81
Well I was just thinking that with it disconnected it would cause less body roll when flexing therefore providing less chance of tipping the truck over. I could be wrong though I dont know a whole lot about that set up and what it actually does. Would it help with that at all? I could change the bump stops over, im sure it wouldnt be to hard.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the sway bar prevents body roll, removing the sway bar would in fact cause more body roll.
and with the setup you have now, and the terrain you would be wheeling on with a 4x2, this would not help you at all.
im not trying to put down your idea or be a naysayer, im just trying to save you some money and keep you from wasting your time.
if you really want to do it, go for it. but i cant see anything being worth the time you would spend on it.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:07 PM
74charger
Veteran

alright i was just asking cus a friend mentioned it, said thats what lots of ppl do on the nissian forum, but what do they know they drive nissians lol

Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

You know, I think I might have to disagree with you nim, sorry, but hear me out. Just a thought...

When the sway bar is connected, its going eliminate the 'body roll', therefore making the rear suspension reach in order to maintain traction. However, if it is disconnected, the front end will reach more, therefore making the truck sit more level, giving more traction to the back.

I understand completely the why people use discos up front, but when I was doing mild wheeling in the jeep, even though I might have stayed in 2wd, i disconnected because it gave me a little more in the off camber areas, giving me more traction in the rear.

Just a thought... let me know what you think.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:30 PM
74charger
Veteran

yeah thats kinda what i was thinking. I figured it would allow the front end to actualy work independently from side to side. Because isnt the sway bar keeping the front end one piece rather then two.
Name:  swaybar.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  65.9 KB

so in that situation wouldnt the disconnected sway bar allow might right side to drop more and my left side to raise some just as if i had a solid axle making my whole truck more level. The sway bar prevents body roll and I want my body to roll more and not stay so rigid with my front end. I think that makes sence.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting Front sway bar