3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tinting Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting Wheels?

Okay, for those of us with the new style chrome 20's, we have the chrome "clad" wheels. That would be a plastic cover over a steel/alum wheel, whichever it is. Kind of like the chrome covers you put on your door handles!

Well I am in a VHT Nightshade spree, can't stop trying to find new uses for it...so I have a exciting but probably impossible idea, and am coming to the self proclaimed professionals to answer it. Tinting my plastic wheels.

I'm sure there is a coat over the chrome huh? a thin clear or something? So technically I could sand it down and make my chrome rims BLACK CHROME rims by tinting them, with either nightshades or get my buddy at dodge to use a tinted clear coat?

Tell me your thoughts

Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i wouldnt even try nightshades. but the tinted clear coat might work. i would test it on some chrome trim first, because those arent cheap wheels.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

duplicolor makes that metalcast for tinting metal dont know with chrome tho but it does come in smoked

Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Cheeech
Banned

I wouldn't bother. You'll end up making them look terrible. try and scrub or pressure wash any of the brake dust off of them and the paint will start to flake. The only thing worthy enough for wheel paint is powder coating. Sure it may look good for a few month, but after that, you'll be wishing you never did it because you'll have to do it all over again. i just don't see how any niteshade coating can work for wheels??? Plan on your wheels being near worthless when you sand them down. i don't believe they sell the covers seperately from the wheel either. The covers are pretty much molded into the cast of the wheel.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by Cheeech
I wouldn't bother. You'll end up making them look terrible. try and scrub or pressure wash any of the brake dust off of them and the paint will start to flake. The only thing worthy enough for wheel paint is powder coating. Sure it may look good for a few month, but after that, you'll be wishing you never did it because you'll have to do it all over again. i just don't see how any niteshade coating can work for wheels??? Plan on your wheels being near worthless when you sand them down. i don't believe they sell the covers seperately from the wheel either. The covers are pretty much molded into the cast of the wheel.

+1 to much work on a big gamble

Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea I was just wondering. I was photoshopping a pic and accidentally made them black chrome and it popped up in my mind...

Do you know if the cover has a coat on top of the chrome or if it just has chrome as the outside layer?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Cheeech
Banned

The chrome on those wheels is very durable, but don't spray any "wheel cleaners" on them as those wheel cleaners will eat right through them in just a few washes. Those cleaners are harsh and I would never reccdomend them for anyone period. They are basically like pouring Muriatic acid on your wheels.
Use only glass cleaner or a degreaser like Simple green.

As far as the coating, the chrome process has a clear layer on top, but it's actually part of the chroming. They fuse together. They will peel together just like door chrome molding if you've ever seen that peel or pit??
If you get the wheel weights off the outside of the rim and have them put stickies on the inside of the lip and wash using a low concentrate degreaser, those wheels will shine for a long time.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

you want black chrome like mine ??

Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Matt99
Champion

ramhunter,
no...i was wanting some really good looking black chrome rims...haha j/k yes exactly like yours but less spoke. I really favor the thin 5 spokes for some reason, I guess more of a sport truck look. But you can go ahead and ship out your tires to me like you promised.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:49 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt99
ramhunter,
no...i was wanting some really good looking black chrome rims...haha j/k yes exactly like yours but less spoke. I really favor the thin 5 spokes for some reason, I guess more of a sport truck look. But you can go ahead and ship out your tires to me like you promised.
all get right on it. lol

Quick Reply: Tinting Wheels?