3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

any ideas on how to get the mechanical fan and clutch assembly off

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
It's not reverse threaded on my truck. Sounds like you might be turning it the wrong way
L.M.F.A.O.

now you gotta bend another steel bar turning it the other way

Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Alpheus
Banned

Only reversed threaded on the CTD. You are turning it the wrong way...

Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM
berndog67
Rookie

im def not, cuz the hayes manual shows the listing for 3rd gen rams, and is clearly shows all 2002 except diesels have reverse threads, and i went to advance auto, autozone and a couple of local auto stores and no one has even heard of the spanner tool, everytime i got dumbfounded faces, well has anyone else had problems getting theres off, i need to know if its alright to just cut it off flush with the pulley, cuz if i try again (both ways!) and cant get it off, im thinking of just cutting it off, cuz this is just getting frustrating

Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T cut it off! It isn't necessary. The pulley will stay without the fan nut. Use the Hayne's manual to line your bird cage.

Dang! I can't remember where I got my spanner. Hold on, though. I'll see if I can remember/find the invoice.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

berndog I have the haynes manual right here and it says "On all models except 2002 diesels, turn the nut counterclockwise to loosen it. On 2002 diesel models the nut has left hand threads..." So you need to put some bolts in the holes to span the gap, and have someone hold a crow bar or something in there to hold it still. Place a large wrench on the nut and hit it w/ a small sledge if you can't move it by hand turning COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

edit: If you need to check it's on page 3-6 in the middle column under step 13.

Last edited by chambers; 05-06-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Whew!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I looked at it like getting the blade off a lawnmower, you know how you have to wedge a block of wood in there, and made a jig out of a 2x4 to hold it in place while turning the nut. It still was a bi*ch, but it worked...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when i went to auto zone i asked for a spanner wrench and they looked at me funny also.Then i told them "you know,To get the fan clutch off".they looked at me funny somemore then it was like a light went off and they said"OOOHH a fan clutch removal tool" they gave me one for a ford the first time.the second time they gave me the right one

Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by berndog67
im def not, cuz the hayes manual shows the listing for 3rd gen rams, and is clearly shows all 2002 except diesels have reverse threads, and i went to advance auto, autozone and a couple of local auto stores and no one has even heard of the spanner tool, everytime i got dumbfounded faces, well has anyone else had problems getting theres off, i need to know if its alright to just cut it off flush with the pulley, cuz if i try again (both ways!) and cant get it off, im thinking of just cutting it off, cuz this is just getting frustrating
NOOOOOO, don't cut it off. It will come off if you turn it the right way and use a spanner wrench or even just jam something in there to keep it from turning.

Quick Reply: any ideas on how to get the mechanical fan and clutch assembly off