3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

any ideas on how to get the mechanical fan and clutch assembly off

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Markmm0000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

air hammer works good

Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most people that work at autozone are dumb as hell! i wouldnt want them getting my my french fries much less parts for my truck

Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nim81
most people that work at autozone are dumb as hell! i wouldnt want them getting my my french fries much less parts for my truck
+10000000!! Thats why I usually look up what I need on the puter and either print it out or go ahead and buy it online to pick up in store then all I got to do when I get there is hand them the paper and say "give me this!" Makes dealin with the Dumb A**es alot easier. By the way, has this dude ever got the thing off??

Old 05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

I submit that if you are getting advice from autozone, than you do not have the requisite skills to work on your vehicle. What would make you think some kid working at an auto parts store has any real world wrenching experience? Maybe if you asked him about honda civics or something... I dunno.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I submit that if you are getting advice from autozone, than you do not have the requisite skills to work on your vehicle. What would make you think some kid working at an auto parts store has any real world wrenching experience? Maybe if you asked him about honda civics or something... I dunno.
just gotta find the right store. i get all my stuff from a local shop with a bunch of old timers workin there. they know their stuff.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

My local places all have kids and one even has some old lady that looks like a walmart greeter. All she knows about cars is how to drive them. And she always acts like I'm the idiot. lol

Old 05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, one time I went into pep boys to get some lug nuts for my dad's trailer. When I got there I asked what aisle they were in and he told me. They didn't have the size I needed so I went back over and asked if they had anymore somewhere else. He thought for a second then said maybe in the aisle where we have washers. Feeling like I had an idea where he was going with this, I asked why he thought they would be with the washers. His response, "you need washers to go with you lug nuts, don't you know all nuts should be used with washers?" Ummm, WHAT!?!? That pretty much summed up the typeof employee they have working there.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I like going in and if I'm with someone, I'll really give the mindless $8 an hour clerks they got a real going over. Act like I ain't got a clue just to see the "expert" advice I get.
In about the last 5 years, I've actually only found 2 in any auto parts store who had a clue.
One was in an Advanced in Ga. where there was a guy in his early 60's who was a retired mechanic working part time to supplement his retirement and social security.
The other was this HOT looking chic, all of about 22 years old in Florida. I was in with a buddy and said "lets mess with this bubble headed bleach blond". To my surprise, she knew her chit! Her dad and uncle owned a shop in north Florida and she was in college in Melbourne, Fl. and took the after school job at an Advance Auto Parts.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 PM
berndog67
Rookie

thanks MikeHTally that was finally the answer i was looking for! only took forever to find it! haha, anyways im not sure how you found that, cuz i have been searching to no avail and there it was, well thanks ill be buying it and hopefully that will be the end of this darn fan problem! and as for everyone who kept telling me i was turning it wrong had 5.2 or 5.9's or a newer truck, cuz i took a look at the threads to make sure and they are reverse, but i have found several instances online on other forums and sites that showed 4.7's with either reg or reverse, so im guessing that they either changed there source of hardware or fan assemblies during production, or even different plants used different parts, so who knows, but anyways mine is reverse threaded, and i will post a pic to prove it if you guys want, thanks for all the input and feedback, ill also post a pic of the before and after if you guys want, cuz the fan i got from summit racing will look sweet with all the upgrades and parts under the hood, later

Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Make sure to post up some pics!

Quick Reply: any ideas on how to get the mechanical fan and clutch assembly off