3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.7 - hemi swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM
joethomas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.7 - hemi swap

MY question is to everyone with input; is it worth swapping a 3.7 with a 5 speed for a hemi?

Here is my situation i have a 2004 ram 1500 quad cab 2wd st the motor has 55,000 miles and i build decks and fence. I don't have a trailer but am considering buying one. problem is a 3.7 barley pulls the trailer let alone anything on it. i like the truck because it has the rubber floor and not much electronics inside to brake. Would it be worth having a hemi installed for what I'm looking to do with it. i still owe 9,000 on the truck just finished installing two front wheel bearings upper control arms and ball joints lower ball joints. center u joint and front rotors. the rear rotors need to be replaces along with the e brake pads. it has 2.5 inch leveling kit in the front and overload leafs in the back with a 1.5 inch left in the springs. i want all the input i can get if its worth it. thanks. looking to tow a 10 foot trailer

Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's trade-in time. You'll need heavier front springs, maybe some other suspension work, new computer, etc., etc. I'm not sure the clutch/tranny would be stout enough for it, either.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

It would be a WHOLE lot easier to trade it in for a truck with a hemi. The way truck prices are it wouldn't really be worth it to swap.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Alpheus
Banned

That would all be well and good just to trade it in but 9000 bucks is a lot of money to be upside down on a loan. A Hemi swap is not all that hard believe it or not. I was involved in putting a 6.1 liter Hemi in a 2nd gen Ram and we had it done in less than a week, but that was in an actual auto shop and not in a driveway. It would be easier in your case because the guages,fuel pump and just allot of the little things will all carry over with the new harness. It can be done. Believe it or not I will be involved with a CTD swap in my truck in the coming months. I already have the engine, I am just in the process of gathering all the other stuff. It will be the best documented diesel swap on the net IMHO. Hell I might make a video of it...

Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Alpheus
That would all be well and good just to trade it in but 9000 bucks is a lot of money to be upside down on a loan. A Hemi swap is not all that hard believe it or not. I was involved in putting a 6.1 liter Hemi in a 2nd gen Ram and we had it done in less than a week, but that was in an actual auto shop and not in a driveway. It would be easier in your case because the guages,fuel pump and just allot of the little things will all carry over with the new harness. It can be done. Believe it or not I will be involved with a CTD swap in my truck in the coming months. I already have the engine, I am just in the process of gathering all the other stuff. It will be the best documented diesel swap on the net IMHO. Hell I might make a video of it...
The 3.7 and the 5.7 have the same fuel pump

Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
The 3.7 and the 5.7 have the same fuel pump
Probably not, but they more than likely operate off the same harness and setup, simply a swap. The 4.7 would probably be an even easier swap, not as powerful as a 5.7, plus the 3.7 & 4.7 are the same engine family. With the exception of maybe some better springs and the electronics/harnesses required, physically its damn near a drop in.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just get a Mopar crate engine with electronics. Put a 392 in that puppy!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
Just get a Mopar crate engine with electronics. Put a 392 in that puppy!!!
I want a 392 for my puppy...Although, Indy Cylinder and Arrington came up with 426 versions of the 3G hemi. Arrington managed a 440 version. 2 old sayings come to mind: there's no replacement for displacement, and too much power is just enough

Quick Reply: 3.7 - hemi swap