3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

most affordable 6" lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default most affordable 6" lift

after 2 months of searching through endless photos, ive decided i want a 4-6" lift with 35 or 37 tires & 20x10 rims. the tires and wheels arent the problem so much because i have a credit line with my local tire shop, but they dont do lifts, which needs to come out of pocket. so...

what's the most affordable way to achieve the lift i need? i was thinking a 2" leveling kit for the front, then readjust the back with new leaf springs (i like the rear high stance) then a 2 or 3" body lift so i dont need to replace so many suspenion components, which seems to jack up the price. if i were to buy a 6" lift kit it'd run me a grand to 1500 for parts, or 2 grand installed. i dont mind installing this stuff myself to save some coin though. i've never lifted a truck, but im no stranger around the garage either, and my father in law is a retired mechanic, so no worries there.

what do you guys think would be the most affordable way to achieve the height i need to clear these new tires' heights and widths? i play in the sand from time to time but never any "real" offroading, i just love the look more than anything else.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

The most affordable way to clear those tires would be to run a leveling kit & body lift combo. That'll give it that aggressive stance and clear those 35's and even the 37's with a little trimming.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I did my coil spacers + spindle lift and shackle lift all by myself. It took a bit longer but I managed to get it done. All I can tell you is to make sure you get with those who have already done it and get all the info you can.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I did my coil spacers + spindle lift and shackle lift all by myself. It took a bit longer but I managed to get it done. All I can tell you is to make sure you get with those who have already done it and get all the info you can.
about how much did it cost you?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can get a 3''bl at 4wheelonline.com for 320

Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CreativeOffroad
The most affordable way to clear those tires would be to run a leveling kit & body lift combo. That'll give it that aggressive stance and clear those 35's and even the 37's with a little trimming.
+1 I have a front leveling kit, 3" rear add-a-leaf and 3" Body lift and I had to trim a little and re-mold my wheel well liners to fit 37's but I have no rubbing now.

If you want to spend a little more money you could do a 4" suspension and a 3" Body lift and you probably won't have to trim or re-mold anything.

But if you are going with larger tires you will want to re-gear as well, I recommend 4:56. And if you do gears then you might as well swing a deal while they have the diff open to throw in a Detroit Tru Trac or Auburn LSD.

And if you wheel in the sand then stay with a 17" wheel so you can air down and get a wide footprint.

Last edited by dodgenitto; 05-17-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 AM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by dodgenitto
+1 I have a front leveling kit, 3" rear add-a-leaf and 3" Body lift and I had to trim a little and re-mold my wheel well liners to fit 37's but I have no rubbing now.

If you want to spend a little more money you could do a 4" suspension and a 3" Body lift and you probably won't have to trim or re-mold anything.

But if you are going with larger tires you will want to re-gear as well, I recommend 4:56. And if you do gears then you might as well swing a deal while they have the diff open to throw in a Detroit Tru Trac or Auburn LSD.

And if you wheel in the sand then stay with a 17" wheel so you can air down and get a wide footprint.
didnt know i needed to change the gears too, that sucks! i didnt even think about it really. i might just have to stick to stock 33s with 20s then and just go a little wider, maybe 20x9s. if i do lift a bit and move to larger tire diameters what else would need to be changed along with the gears? i have a 2WD if that makes a difference

Old 05-18-2009, 04:03 AM
AhmedRam
Professional

how do u go in the sand with a 2wd? i think the lift in ur case will be just for the looks....

Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 AM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by AhmedRam
how do u go in the sand with a 2wd? i think the lift in ur case will be just for the looks....
like i said i dont do any real offroading. so far i havent had any trouble with sand nor mud, but i dont go dune jumping either. and yes, i said the lift was pretty much just for looks. i have no plans of climbing mountains or driving on the beaches, just wanna sit up a lil higher in traffic

Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 AM
whitealexander
Professional

Originally Posted by CreativeOffroad
+1 on this mate..

Quick Reply: most affordable 6" lift