3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MUFFLER QUESTION - I gotta get rid of this MagnaFlow

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Horseapples
The flowmaster 50 hd is perfect for HEMI powered trucks, it is quiet at idle and sounds awesome at wide open throttle and mellow at all points between. If the resinator has been removed, it will be quite a bit louder. The resinator does exactly what the name implies, it cancels cab resonance. If yours has been removed, check local muffler shops for one, and re install. It will quiet your Magnaflow and eliminate cab resonance. It is after the muffler, so it will not negitively impact exhaust flow.
Whats the resonator look like so I'll know what to look for?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

go see how long ur current muffler is. if its not 24'', then get a 24 inch magnaflow.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  16500.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  22.3 KB
Originally Posted by TheFist
Whats the resonator look like so I'll know what to look for?
The resonator looks like a small muffler and mounts at the very back of the exhaust system. The only thing after the resinator is the tail pipe that exits the truck.

Last edited by Horseapples; 06-09-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The resonator on the 08 is in the tailpipe. Like in the picture. Earlier models had one in front of the muffler as well.
Name:  Canonclean-up067.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  139.0 KB

Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
go see how long ur current muffler is. if its not 24'', then get a 24 inch magnaflow.
I agree, a bigger magnaflow will quiet it down some.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

Hey ya'll, long time no post for me, but I recently put on an Aero Turbine and am quite happy so I feel I should post. After my bad experiences with magnaflow and aero stealth I was on the brink of going back to stock again, but I still wanted a free flowing exhaust. The magnaflow was great at first then after a few months it just got downright annoying. Lots of cab drone and sometimes piercing around 1900 rpm. I then went to aero stealth which was excellent at first, but after only a few years the insides were failing and it was getting loud again. I decided to give aero turbine 3030 a try. The resonated one.
Well, first, I have to say when it arrived the damn thing is beautiful, but I didn't really care. I was just looking for some quiet. I put it on and wow what a difference. Instantly quiet in the cab and no drone in all rpms. The only thing I didn't like is that it was too loud for me on the outside. It almost has a raspy pipey sound to it. If you like a big exhaust sound that sounds bigger than the hp your making then this is muffler will do it for you without torturing you in the cab. Well, after a week of that I went and bought just the aero resonator and stuck that in there as well and all I can say, FOR NOW, is perfection! It got rid of that crackle pipey sound and smoothed it out and made it totally humane and comfortable in the cab. I am very pleased. We'll see after a year or so if the insides hold up as they claim. It's supposed to be a ceramic fiber (or something) that is better than the normal glass they use in most mufflers.

I should also note that my pre-aero turbine exhaust consisted of the single in dual out. I decided to cut all that crap out since it was becoming a pita with uneven sag, rattle and tip maintenance. That said, my exhaust note would change considerably.....just so you know... My real goal was making it quiet on the inside. With the aero turbine in I now have single in single out and i cut the tail high and tight so you don't see anything anymore. Before it was two nice polished magnaflow tips which I kind of miss. They looked good. Now it's just sleek, clean cut and efficient. I like that better anyway.

Last edited by DeWalt378G; 06-09-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I am in the same boat as you. I've tried the Flowmaster Super 44 and have the Flowmaster 50 HD on right now. Both give me intense headaches with all of the droning, especially when towing or on the highway. So I've come up with a new scheme to help me get everything I want. I'm having my stock muffler put back on. I also bought a magnaflow y-pipe to be placed at the outlet of the muffler so it can still run into my existing dual tailpipes. Running the stock muffler will silence the truck when I need a break from the noise.

Then, I bought a DMH exhaust cutout. I love exhaust, and could not live with just running a quiet muffler full time. So when I want it to be the loudest, just hit the switch in the cab, and have the loudest truck around town. But when I want a little break from the droning, hit that switch again and enjoy the soothing tone of the hemi motor purring.

Running an electronic exhaust cutout will do three things for me:
1.) I still get the look of dual tail pipes running the y-pipe of the stock muffler.
2.) Have the ability to have a silent truck when desired.
3.) Have the ability to have the loudest truck when desired.

I'm having this all done next Friday and I cannot wait. It's the best way to go. I love how I don't have to stay committed to just one loud exhaust system, I can have it anyway I want at anytime depending upon how I am feeling.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:28 AM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

yeah i read that other post you had a while back. a lot of money we've spent just for it to end up at the business end of a sawzall. oh well. at least it's fun, yeah?! lol good luck with your cutout. that should be incredibly loud.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look to see where that muffler is located at. Out of all these post I can't believe only one person mentioned this.
If that muffler is located really close to the cab that is the majority of your problem. Take your truck to an exhaust shop and see if they can move the muffler back.
I run dual FM 40's series on my truck, and when I installed them, I really wasn't thinking too much about what I was doing. I ended up mounting the mufflers damn near touching the front of the rear axle. The result kinda pissed me off in the beginning since I thought that I had picked out a really quiet muffler. It wasn't for another few months when someone else drove my truck that I found out how loud it is. The only reason you don't notice it in the cab is because it is mounted so far back.
It's something to keep in mind, especially if you enjoy how your truck sounds when you are fooling around.

Oh, we also did this on an 08 avie, and had the same results. Mounted a super 44 in the same location as factory. The drone was killing us on road trips. Finally got sick of it, and moved it back. Quiet as a lamb in there now.

Hope this helps you out a little bit.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:21 AM
1LowRam
Professional

Id like to hear the Magnaflow on a 4.7. Anyon got a video?

Quick Reply: MUFFLER QUESTION - I gotta get rid of this MagnaFlow