3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noticable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 AM
ToyBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noticable difference?

I just put a flowmaster 40 series on my truck because the parts counter guy said it would be a nice sound, and not loud. Well i didnt research it anymore and ordered because it believed him. Well, after two nights on the town i have a headache from the niose.

Reading the flowmaster website i also see the 40 is the louder of the mufflers they offer. I was looking at the 50 series, is this going to be quiet enough i wont get headaches but still give me a nice rumble?

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Blue_Demon4.7
Rookie

how is your exhaust exiting the muffler? dumped,tips,side?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Get rid of the Flowmaster. You'll have headaches regardless of choice. They all reonate the same in the cab. Irritating drone, it will just be a different tone. Either lower or highewr pitched but is there on ALL Flowmaster mufflers.
I actually think Flowmaster sounds really good on the Ram trucks, but never have i heard of a Flow that didn't drone. It's the nature of their design.
That's prob what's got you all bothered and headached. It's not the Loud exhaust. Trust me.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Blue_Demon4.7
Rookie

hmmmm

Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Blue_Demon4.7
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Get rid of the Flowmaster. You'll have headaches regardless of choice. They all reonate the same in the cab. Irritating drone, it will just be a different tone. Either lower or highewr pitched but is there on ALL Flowmaster mufflers.
I actually think Flowmaster sounds really good on the Ram trucks, but never have i heard of a Flow that didn't drone. It's the nature of their design.
That's prob what's got you all bothered and headached. It's not the Loud exhaust. Trust me.
True, try a magnaflow and see how that goes or maybe a gibson

Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyBoy
I just put a flowmaster 40 series on my truck because the parts counter guy said it would be a nice sound, and not loud. Well i didnt research it anymore and ordered because it believed him. Well, after two nights on the town i have a headache from the niose.

Reading the flowmaster website i also see the 40 is the louder of the mufflers they offer. I was looking at the 50 series, is this going to be quiet enough i wont get headaches but still give me a nice rumble?
and the moral to that story is........ NEVER TRUST THE GUY AT THE PARTS COUNTER!!!

I have the 50HD series, although I'm fixin' to replace it with a Cherry Bomb Extreme. I want a bit louder.

The 50HD is nice. Deep, throaty sound when you get on it, not loud at all on idle or when just cruising. Slight drone in the 1800-2200 rpm range, but not bad. Not the best flowing muffler in the world though. Although I gotta agree with the consensus on this one, the Magnaflow will give you the quieter sound you seek, should not drone in the cab, still have a nice rumble when you give it some gas, and best of all, flow better than anything Flowmaster offers...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-11-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hammer did you look at the vortex? Or you like the extrreme cause its red to match your truck??? lol

Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Blue_Demon4.7
Rookie

I love the way my flow sounds when i goose it, kinda want to replace it for better cruising sound but scared i will regret it, idk so many mufflers offer different things....

Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
Hammer did you look at the vortex? Or you like the extrreme cause its red to match your truck??? lol

I actually was going to get the Vortex, was afraid the Extreme was just gonna be too loud in the Cab. But Pyro just recently changed out his Flowmaster for the Extreme and I've heard it from both outside and inside his truck. It is a good bit louder outside the truck than the Vortex's I've heard, but not any louder inside the truck, so I'm going that way...

Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Ive heard good things about magnaflows on the dodges. I had one on my jeep, and like the tone a lot. Ive kinda always leaned towards magnaflow versus flowmaster because of the vibrating drone.

good luck...

Quick Reply: Noticable difference?