3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HIDs Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
ilovemyram

Originally Posted by mmstar23
im running 8000K and love them. i got a guy that has excellent kits for $85 shipped if you want and theyre far better than anything ive run. i had to replace my kits because the quality was horrible and had major radio interference the first time, but after going with my new kits i ordered, theyre perfect! no strobing, radio interferance or anything.
yeah where do you get them?

and what's the deal with the flickering? i've heard a lot about it but i dont really understand why or anything.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ilovemyram
yeah where do you get them?

and what's the deal with the flickering? i've heard a lot about it but i dont really understand why or anything.
Flickering is when your lights will flash while driving. Alot of the cheaper lights will do that and will leave the lamp out light on your dash on too. I have a set by HID's by Twiggy and they work great! Just got a set for my wifes Grand Cherokee too.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Matt99
Champion

I have Twiggys HIDs too...Your computer sends little bursts of electricity every time you cut the truck on to see if all of your bulbs are working, if the filament is broken it doesn't let the current through, so it lets the computer know that you have a "lamp out"

HIDs do not use near as much electricity and the ballast cuts the 12V down, so a lower voltage gets sent back to the computer tricking it into thinking you have a lamp out. The flickering is the pulses of electricity. You can fix this on a cheap kit with some work but its really not worth it, buy a quality kit.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:21 AM
mmstar23
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Stay away from the super cheap kits for strobing issues and burnt bulbs. The colored pic you posted need to have the colors moved to the left. 5k is white. 6k is noticeably blue, not white. 8k is blue. 10k is super blue, 12k is going purple.

mmstar23, you need to crank down those housings. Your lights are shining almost to the roof. That's gotta be blinding for other cars??? The one house, your lights actually lit up the roof edge and your house the middle of the beams were like neck height on the garage door. They shouldn't be any higher than the bulb itself at 20ft away. Prob the level kit that threw them up there?
well thanks for looking out and tryting to help, but you are sadly mistaken. the light you see on the roofs of the houses are a combination of some glare from my fogs and glare from the housing of my headlights. under the projector there is almost a shelf under the projector lens which in my case is chrome and reflects upward, which you can see on my garrage door. if you look carefully on the houses in the neighborhood you can see the cut off line fairly low, and the light towards the roof is only glare, not bad aiming. i actually spent about an hour getting the da*n projectors to align perfectly.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 AM
ilovemyram

Originally Posted by Matt99
I have Twiggys HIDs too...Your computer sends little bursts of electricity every time you cut the truck on to see if all of your bulbs are working, if the filament is broken it doesn't let the current through, so it lets the computer know that you have a "lamp out"

HIDs do not use near as much electricity and the ballast cuts the 12V down, so a lower voltage gets sent back to the computer tricking it into thinking you have a lamp out. The flickering is the pulses of electricity. You can fix this on a cheap kit with some work but its really not worth it, buy a quality kit.
is twiggy a company or something? lol.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Matt99
Champion

Twiggy is a company. HIDs by Twiggy. He is pretty much ahead of the game when it comes to HIDs, less wires smaller ballasts and a lifetime warranty. PM me for his email.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 AM
That1guy
Veteran

I have a set of sliver stars in my ram. The low beams with the fogs are amazing, but the high beams suck. Anyone have a link to a kit that lets me keep the stock headlights and doesn't **** off the computer and are worth buying?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Matt99
Champion

email directsaleshids@gmail.com with any questions...thats the kit that me and raider have, both have had them for two years and both love them. He has different kits for whatever you want, but those are the real deal

Quick Reply: HIDs Questions