3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loss of HP after installing new exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not uncommon to lose low end torque with a modification such as a free flowing exhaust. The peak torque and the resulting horsepower may increase, but in a higher rpm range. Back in the day (carbs, points and leaded gas), we calculated the shift points and the rpms through the lights (based on the gears) and tuned the engine accordingly. In other words, you may have increased power, but you have to be doing 105 to use it. Bet it sounds good at that speed!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my take..

I now have a dual ex system I love..

Just after I bought my 06 2500 5.7 6sp hemi, I had the y pipe cut out and a ultra flow x dyno max mufler installed, two inlets, tow out lets..

The mufler sounded great, mpg improved, but I kept blowing out the packing in the muffler ( aviod any mufler that has fiberglass packing )

After three replacement's, I had a generic walker mufler 2 inlets two out lets. mpg went down, performance went down..

Calgary mufler installed two muflers called super formula Z ( only mufler shop in Calgary that sells them ) They sound like a turbo 400 mufler, verry quiet at idle, made out of steal.

The flow patern is a Z muflers are extreamly high flow, and in average driving my low end toruqe is back, and the performance is back..

If your going to replace your stock ex sytem, cut out the Y pipe, run two individual mufflers that do not have baffels or fiberglass packing, aviod dynomax, mangna flow.

Othier wise keep your ex sytem stock, cat back ex systems, or kits have one basic flaw, they keep the factery Y pipe..

Once you make one part of a factery ex sytem better flowing, the limitations of stock sytem are more noticed, stock, every thing works by keeping the back pressure = threw out the rpm range.

2 and half in are the size of my two muflers, I kept the fabed out tail pipes that run over the rear diff and in front of the bumper ( left )

My rear tail pipes are not mandrel bent, were as most cat back kits are, I was talked out of mandrel bending the rear ex pipes due to cost and the mufler guy advised that on gas engines, its not going to make a big differance, on diesel engines, mandrel bending is the only way to go..

One othier item you might find with a high flowing ex sytem is you will notice the hemi tick..

Last edited by cyclone429; 06-19-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:14 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I've owned several magnaflows and have never "blown out the packing"...they did get a little louder though as the packing absorbed moisture.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Magnaflow is a better built muffler than the Dynomax, but I have never heard of any packing problems with either.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

even if he is talking about the one resonator + one muffler = two things. where di three come from?

a catback all by itself isn't gonna gain/lose much of anything. if you like how it sounds, keep it

Old 06-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Doobie

yea, I love the sound....plus I picked up about 2mpg.
The performance difference is very slight, so I guess the next mod I need is a tuner!

Last edited by Doobie; 06-20-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
even if he is talking about the one resonator + one muffler = two things. where di three come from?

a catback all by itself isn't gonna gain/lose much of anything. if you like how it sounds, keep it
Two resonators and a muffler, 'Feej. He's an '07, went that way starting with the '06s. C'mon man, you're a 3rd Gen section mod now, get with the program...

and to the OP, yes Flowmaster's are quite restrictive, they sacrifice flow by using a chambered design to get that sound...

Quick Reply: loss of HP after installing new exhaust?