3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

started my custom Halos this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up started my custom Halos this weekend

So if anyone has been following my projects or atleast read my sig, you all know I have been planning on doing custome Halo rings for some time. But with so many other projects going on, that project has been on the back burner until this weekend.

So with that said, here are some start pics for you guys. This is NOT simple being the huge size of the bowls but also the way they are shaped, I couldnt find a way to make them smaller and look proportioned and sit right. However, this is my first attemp and it only gets better from here. For anyone wanting to follow my lead, DO NOT get 5mm LEDs. Trying to fit a 5mm LED in an 8mm rod doesnt work. You get LUCKY at best.

And dont leave the rod in the over too long or you end up looking like my first one did.

Left in the oven too long

First thing I did was remove the amber lens

After lots of heating at 250* and carefully watching, I managed to get the shape I wanted. This one is for the headlight bowl.

This one is for the turn signal bowl. Although next time I may do a different shape

Just a pc of both side by side

This is a bad cell phone shot but you can see the grooves notched into the rod

I used tin foil (shiney side up) on the back side of the rods as a reflector and used clear masking tape to hold it in place.

Here is my first light up pic of the turn signal rod. Only one side is lit

Here is one of the headlight rod with both sides lit.

This is one with it mounted in the bowl in the kitchen with the lights on and the blinds open.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks pretty sweet man. nice work!!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow those are real nice! good work

Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Here are some more pics. Ive only done the drivers side. I do the pass side next weekend maybe. Ill do some nite time pics tonight if I get the chance.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

ok seein as you have recent experience in your mind, how long did you leave them in the oven at 250? also im plannin on paintin the chrome black, how hard would that be? i see there is three def pieces and id only have to worry about tapin off the smaller light bowl. also what glue did you use to put them back together and are you worried about moisture in there?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Bigc9164
Veteran

so you used to semi cirlces? did the 55000 mcd leds not light up an entire ring? but looks good!!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by disturbedgator
ok seein as you have recent experience in your mind, how long did you leave them in the oven at 250? also im plannin on paintin the chrome black, how hard would that be? i see there is three def pieces and id only have to worry about tapin off the smaller light bowl. also what glue did you use to put them back together and are you worried about moisture in there?
I didnt paint mine and havent done a pair (painted) so I cant comment on that. However, lots of guys here have painted theirs so I dont think you will have any issues doing it. I didnt use any extra glue as I heated them back up and squeezed them back together very good to get a good seal. Am I worried about moisture? No. Many guys have taken them apart and put them back together and have not had any issues.

Originally Posted by Bigc9164
so you used to semi cirlces? did the 55000 mcd leds not light up an entire ring? but looks good!!
The first time I did my ring I used 2 LEDs. It looks good but in the middle of the ring it wasnt as bright as the ends where the LEDs were at. So as much as I didnt want to I took it back apart and cut the ring in half and added two more LEDs in opposite directions which I am not happy with. So I used 4 LEDs in the headlight ring and only 2 in the turn signal ring.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Matt99
Champion

I painted mine. Not that big of a deal. Just make sure your in a cooler area to do it, about 70degrees or lower. Freeze the lights to take the tape back off.

Use high temp black RTV gasket maker. Also, I had to reseal my first ones. The 06+ lights have some weird areas that are hard to do. Just take some extra time and get a good bead of glue. The painting part is not hard.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:45 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

WOW, those pics are too big. Use links or resize!! They reek havoc on our dial-up users!!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Styx
Amateur

R E S I Z E

Quick Reply: started my custom Halos this weekend