3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Doug Thorley Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Them sure are pretty, Hammer!!

As for the Muffler shop, get a new shop. Properly installed with GOOD gaskets and bolts, they will not cause any problems. Sounds like he is just too lazy to install them and stand behind his work.

Last edited by lxman1; 07-09-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
Them sure are pretty, Hammer!!
yeah i was thinking that myself. I was actually thinking of photo chopping his pic and painting my blue over his red and pretend that it's my truck in the pic....lmao

Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeHEMI08
I bought a set of pacesetter longtubes for my 08 Hemi and tried to have them installed at the local muffler shop. The owner said that he won't do it because headers are a pain in the *** and they rattle and cause all sorts of problems down the road. Has anyone installed headers, regardless of brand, and had issues not related to a bad install or damage to the pipes? I'm just looking for a devils advocate before I throw in the towel on the mod.
Yep, sounds to me like this guy is just that, a MUFFLER SHOP, not an exhaust shop. Wants to stick $25 mufflers on the back of vehicles, charge $100 for them, another $50 for a $10 chrome tip, $100 more in labor and shove you on your way. I know the type!

Other than getting under the truck about twice a year (when I'm under there to change the oil) to check and re-torque 8 bolts per side, mine have required no additional care for over three years now...

Old 07-10-2009, 02:12 PM
orangeHEMI08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, sounds to me like this guy is just that, a MUFFLER SHOP, not an exhaust shop. Wants to stick $25 mufflers on the back of vehicles, charge $100 for them, another $50 for a $10 chrome tip, $100 more in labor and shove you on your way. I know the type!

Other than getting under the truck about twice a year (when I'm under there to change the oil) to check and re-torque 8 bolts per side, mine have required no additional care for over three years now...
Thats what I thought when I heard him say that. I appreciate the feedback and will post what it sounds like before and after the pipes are installed.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by orangeHEMI08
I bought a set of pacesetter longtubes for my 08 Hemi and tried to have them installed at the local muffler shop. The owner said that he won't do it because headers are a pain in the *** and they rattle and cause all sorts of problems down the road. Has anyone installed headers, regardless of brand, and had issues not related to a bad install or damage to the pipes? I'm just looking for a devils advocate before I throw in the towel on the mod.

You need to get Stage8 Locking header bolts and then you will have Zero issue's with coming loose or future gasket problems. Owner sounds like a total Douche who hasn't a clue and doesn't know how to install LT headers.

Pretty typical they wanna play "we choose the work we want to" kinda thing.(easy money work) Mother F'er, if you own a shop, you should do any type of work that comes your way. Ugghh, those guys, I just wanna spit in their faces. All about the money and not the customer at that point really if you think about it.

sorry for the rant but those things really urk me.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, I was impatient when I picked mine up, used the cardboard type gaskets that came with them and the included bolts.

I am waiting to see a gasket issue (which I have NOT yet, but I think keeping the bolts in check is a big factor there), and I'm going to replace it with the gasket and locking bolts from Moe's...

Old 07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I thought the same thing about the paper gaskets when I bought my MAC nickel plated headers back in around 1990 for the Mustang. Well, it is 19 years later and even though the bolts have worked loose a couple of times, the gaskets still have not blown. This car was daily driven until about 1998 and still gets driven to this day. Same old gaskets. They can be seen in this recent picture.
Name:  IMG_0256.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  123.1 KB

Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, my truck is an '04, did most of my mods from spring of '06 thru spring of '07 when I was stuck at my parents while they were both ill. I didn't join here till July of '07, so I didn't have anybody to ask before undertaking my mods. Had I had this forum to go to, I'da done a couple things different...

Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

lxman, that oil pressure line is a bit close to the header don't ya think??

Also, paper gaskets wouldn't last too long if the header bolts get loose. That's what generally eats them up. I used stage8 bolts with my Stang and Percy's Gaskets. Never had any problems but i hardly drove the car, although it was pushing 500 to the rear wheels.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Just an optical illusion on the oil pressure line. It is actually not close at all. It's a good 4" away from the header tube secured with a zip tie for good measure
165K and still holds 42psi @ 2000rpm hot!!

Quick Reply: Doug Thorley Headers