3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Solid Axle conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:12 AM
Ryanhizzle89
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do offroad some, but mostly driving too, I like to mud though.

I want the 5 on 5.5 because of my wheels, I don't want to have to buy new ones, its worth the money to me for the conversion and the bolt pattern conversion.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Ryanhizzle89
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmstar23
dont get me wrong i think its awesome....but your question can be asked as to why even do a solid axle swap then? if its only for street use why do a solid axle swap, thats not the easiest/most common/cheapest thing to do....so if you say why 8 lugs since its only for street, then why a solid axle at all?
Because I want to go bigger and I got a good deal for my axle/labor/lift.

Rougly $2800. But thats before me selling my lift kit for my truck, another lift kit, and my other wheels and tires. So that literally covers the cost of everything. So why not? That way if I go mudding, I won't have to worry about a stupid IFS and my 38's will be a hell of a lot better. Thats why I want it .

Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanhizzle89
About to get my solid axle done here in about a week or 2. Already got everything good to go.
Only theres one question,
Can I get my new solid axle custom fab'd to a 5 on 5.5 Bolt pattern instead of 8?
If you are asking this you are NO where near ready to go. Go over to Pirate4x4.com and start reading!

Originally Posted by Ryanhizzle89
That way if I go mudding, I won't have to worry about a stupid IFS and my 38's will be a hell of a lot better. Thats why I want it .
Then you better swap the rear axle out to something heavier than the 9.25". These light duty rears blow up on their own with street tires. Why go muddin with your 38's only to have to be pulled out by your buddies Ford when the rear end blows.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:46 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Probably be better to go with a set of dana 60's front and rear so you dont have to worry about strength. But to answer your question, I think you just need to buy axle shafts with the correct spline count that has the bolt pattern your looking for.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 PM
mmstar23
Champion

thank you lifted4x4astro!!

Old 07-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Animal Mother
Captain

Originally Posted by mmstar23
dont get me wrong i think its awesome....but your question can be asked as to why even do a solid axle swap then? if its only for street use why do a solid axle swap, thats not the easiest/most common/cheapest thing to do....so if you say why 8 lugs since its only for street, then why a solid axle at all?
Haha good point, now none of this really makes sense to me. Ryan i'll give you the Dana 30 from my jeep for free and save you some dough

Old 07-11-2009, 04:07 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Why not just put a rear axle from a 2500 to match the front? Be a lot better for those 38's.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:52 PM
mmstar23
Champion

that1guy, now that is what he should do. sell the rims and get the same ones if he likes those but get it in a 8 lug and swap out that rear and you'll be set...

Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Ryanhizzle89
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lifted4x4Astro
If you are asking this you are NO where near ready to go. Go over to Pirate4x4.com and start reading!

Then you better swap the rear axle out to something heavier than the 9.25". These light duty rears blow up on their own with street tires. Why go muddin with your 38's only to have to be pulled out by your buddies Ford when the rear end blows.
Arnt you mr. happy go lucky, I have everything set to go with the guys who are doing my axle swap and fabrications for my lift, but I had one simple question that gets flamed with totally different answers.

Obviously there are different ways to do my problem, but I DO NOT want to sell my rims AGAIN, if I can just change out my bolt pattern for the front its fine, and my rear axle is fine with me because its not like im going to Moab. I want more lift, and a stronger front axle RATHER THAN THE IFS!
And this is the best way to do it so that I can play and use it as a everyday vehicle.

"Probably be better to go with a set of dana 60's front and rear so you dont have to worry about strength. But to answer your question, I think you just need to buy axle shafts with the correct spline count that has the bolt pattern your looking for."-dodge it then ram it

I will probably do the shafts liek you said. And the front is a Dana 60 with 4:10 gears. I'm just going to match gears up in the back and keep that rear axle.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A good local machine shop should be able to redrill the 5 lug pattern for your studs. I just wonder if the center hub is going to be too large for the 5 lug wheels?

Quick Reply: Solid Axle conversion.