3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 MegaCab A/C - A/C Experts Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 AM
ThaChad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, As I figured. I took the truck in today, they said the vent temp was 32 degrees, it was 77 degrees in the shop. It was colder today that it got when it was 90+ outside.

Basically I'm SOL. If/when it get's 90+ degrees again I will take the truck to the shop and see if I'll fail the temp check.

I did go by the parts counter though to find out if the compressor and/or blower fan had changed between the '06 and '09 model's. I found that the blower fan is the same P/N, but the compressor P/N has changed. The referance picture was the same between the 2 so i'm not sure if the new one will fit up exactly as the old on, or what exactly the difference is.

I don't know if chaging the compressor would even make any difference!? That is why I was hoping for some advice from an A/C expert...

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Old 07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The compressor number changed because it mounts in a different spot due to the new intake manifold on the 09 has the throttle body in the front center, so they had to relocate the compressor and the way that it mounts. No change in pumping ability.

If you were in my area, I would check it out for you.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately,

A larger compressor will not really do much of anything. The system is size matched for the inside coil-outside coil-compressor size. Probably the best alternative to modifying the system would be to increase the coil size(surface area) of the condenser coil--the one outside--without going overboard--as the design pressures would suffer.

This is the one the heat leaves from. It is possible, you may have something going on with the HVAC box too, it is possible that one of the doors isn't positioning right.
If its under warranty, I would definitely have it checked out.

Either way, you should see an 18 - 20 degf drop across the coil, regardless of ambient temp in the cab. If its 100 degf in the cab, the air coming out of the vents should be near 80, or sluightly higher, depending on how long its been running, and to a lesser amount, how much latent load (humidity) is being condensed out.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 AM
eaglestorm
Professional

dodge has a lot of prob with the recerc door breaking off and you lose air flow and sometimes the blower motor will vibrate due to part of the door stuck in it . It's easy to ck remove your glove box look up to the right of the heater box see if the recerc door is there. there is a plastic grid there to bring in the air from inside the truck. if you can not see the door stick your fingers in the lower part of the grid ( key off) and see if you can feel the door and it will move around on top of the blower. If its broken you get low flow and poor cooling . the dash has to be pulled back to repair but it's not a bad job to do

Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 AM
VP64
Captain

i thought i my a/c didnt werk either for the first year and half of owning my truck. i have the *** all the way to the blue color and it felt like the vent was just blowing air around. then someone sitting in my truck pressed the round button with a picture of a snowlfake and BAM colder air started flowing within seconds. i was like wtf no way COOL! the end

Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Glee

Does you reciver frost up with the a/c on?
I would suggest you check you condenser make sure it is clean. And change in cab air filter. If that don’t fix it then you might have contaminants in you refrigerant. But they should see that when they pressure check it.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:27 AM
ThaChad
Professional

Originally Posted by eaglestorm
dodge has a lot of prob with the recerc door breaking off and you lose air flow and sometimes the blower motor will vibrate due to part of the door stuck in it . It's easy to ck remove your glove box look up to the right of the heater box see if the recerc door is there. there is a plastic grid there to bring in the air from inside the truck. if you can not see the door stick your fingers in the lower part of the grid ( key off) and see if you can feel the door and it will move around on top of the blower. If its broken you get low flow and poor cooling . the dash has to be pulled back to repair but it's not a bad job to do
Yeah, This just happened to mine a month or so ago. I took it in and they fixed it.

Originally Posted by Glee
Does you reciver frost up with the a/c on?
I would suggest you check you condenser make sure it is clean. And change in cab air filter. If that don’t fix it then you might have contaminants in you refrigerant. But they should see that when they pressure check it.
What's the reciever? I know sometimes with the A/C on I will get a fog coming out of the vents, the dealer said it's 'nothing'.

This last time when I took it in, they evacuated the system and recharged it. It hasn't been real hot lately to see if it's any better.

-ThaChad

Last edited by ThaChad; 07-18-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 AM
kev2
Veteran

dealer said a 32* vent temp? is that correct.... I am very suspicious aagain I would suggest you get a temp gauge and ck that vent temp

Old 11-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Texruss

It's obvious you have a dust-caked AC sock filter clogging your output. I know this because it is an acknowledged design flaw on the Megacab and corrected from 2007 on. Great idea to help stop cabin dust, but no user access to clean it. It cost me $440 dollars at the Dodge dealership to remove the sock (best policy as it will clog again). You are lucky to have a warranty. I didn't. Force them to open the dash and remove the sock. It will help immensely on super hot days. I think they owe 2006 owners a free repair, but they won't man up to their mistake.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Makkybarr
Smile

Why not try AC condenser? Even as a kid, cars and trucks have always been my fancy. When my family acquired a GMC truck for our farm in my early 20's I eagerly took charge of its maintenance and repair needs from simple auto lights replacement to handling AC condenser matters.

Quick Reply: '06 MegaCab A/C - A/C Experts Needed