3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 MegaCab A/C - A/C Experts Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:04 PM
ThaChad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 MegaCab A/C - A/C Experts Needed

Hey All,

I have an '06 1500 MegaCab, we ALL know that the A/C on the MegaCab doesn't really work that well. From everything I've read Dodge used the same A/C compressor and blower fan in ALL the Ram models, which is Bad engineering at best.

Anyway the last 95 degree day we had, I had the A/C on full blas for over 4 hours before the truck FINALLY got cool enough that me and the wife stopped sweating and the kids stopped screaming in the back seat. This is UNACCEPTABLE..

I've already taken it in 2 times in the past 2 years and was told that it is working "in spec". I guess if you were able to ride inside the air duct it might be ok, but to the rest of the world it's not working in any acceptable fashion.

The truck is still under factory warrenty untill April 2010, but at this point I doubt Dodge will do anything to fix this. So i wanted to ask any experts what exactly CAN be done to fix this? Is it possible to install a larger compressor? Will that make any difference? What about a bigger blower fan? I am thinking its more the compressor because the air isn't even cold coming out of the air vents, it's cool but not cold. Sure more airflow would be better but if the air isn't cold what good is more airflow?

Any information reguarding this is much apperciated..

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Nope there is something wrong with yours. I only have a QC, But my cab can get really cold really quick, Even on a 100+ degree day. In fact I am so used to my other car not really getting cold that I tend to over compensate in the truck and freeze the family out before I realize it.

One thing you might try, There are 2 settings on your AC. One pulls the hot air from outside. This setting works, But if it is really hot out it doesn't work as well.

The other setting re-circulates the cab air and cools it further. I tend to start this setting to begin with then change over to pulling the fresh air.

Other than that, Maybe your losing 134a. Have them do a pressure check.

kinda off topic, however, This made me realize something else, I don't really notice any MPG drop with the AC on. Last trip with the A/C on the whole way I saw a .5 mpg drop. This was by doing the full math and not the trip computer. This is gotta be the first vehicle that I have ever had where I didn't lose a full 2mpg's.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
shbiv

I have a 2007 Mega Cab 1500 and I don't have the problem. I live in New Orleans where we are extremely hot during the summer months. I knew there were problems with the 2006 Mega Cab, but I thought there was some change made for the 2007 and above Mega Cabs. If we could find out what change (if any) was made that might help to get you a fix.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:49 AM
ThaChad
Professional

Originally Posted by 05RamMan
Nope there is something wrong with yours. I only have a QC, But my cab can get really cold really quick, Even on a 100+ degree day. In fact I am so used to my other car not really getting cold that I tend to over compensate in the truck and freeze the family out before I realize it.

One thing you might try, There are 2 settings on your AC. One pulls the hot air from outside. This setting works, But if it is really hot out it doesn't work as well.

The other setting re-circulates the cab air and cools it further. I tend to start this setting to begin with then change over to pulling the fresh air.

Other than that, Maybe your losing 134a. Have them do a pressure check.

kinda off topic, however, This made me realize something else, I don't really notice any MPG drop with the AC on. Last trip with the A/C on the whole way I saw a .5 mpg drop. This was by doing the full math and not the trip computer. This is gotta be the first vehicle that I have ever had where I didn't lose a full 2mpg's.
I know other Mega Cabs have reported this problem... I have an appt to have it checked AGAIN this week, but I don't expect them to do anything, they will just say it's in spec. again.

As for MPG, V-8's typically don't see much of a MPG drop from A/C, it just doesn't drag them down enough, unless you were fully loaded in the bed and/or hauling a trailer, then I could see an MPG drop. I only get 9MPG anyway..

-ThaChad

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is NOT a fix, but merely a band aide. I have a "Kooler Air" unit that I use to keep the tent cool when camping in hot summer months.
Basically it's a fan that inserts into the top of a 25 Qt. cooler. It works very well, especially in small spaces, and at $40, it's cheap.

I know it sucks to have to consider loading a cooler with ice and set it inside the cab just to do what that factory A/C is supposed to, but it beats sweating your a$$ off.

I got mine at a camping and boat show, but found the link online:

http://www.kooleraire.com/index.htm

Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 AM
kev2
Veteran

sorry I cannot get the text of this for some reason - likely my computer skills-
tsb 24-021-01...referances AIR flow on mega cabs, thats all I know you might ask dealer..

Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Run the a/c in the recirculation setting with the air coming out of the dash vents only (next to the last notch on the left). This will recool the air in the truck and cool faster.
You do have alot of cab to cool ant it will take a bit to cool it down. Not 4 hrs for sure!!
You might also try a different dealer if possible. Some are better than others!!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealerships alot of the time will half a$$ their way around repairs. What I would do is take it to an AC shop and have them do the free check up for you. Most of them will do the checking right in front of you. The reason that I mention this, is that one of the tests will be to check the temp of the air actually leaving the vents in the cab. You made a comment that the air coming out of the vents was not cold enough, this is why I bring this up.

After the tests, if the shop says it is ok, then you will have to look into something else. But if he says that there is a problem, or that it should be blowing colder, then you can take his free estimate right up and take that to the dealer for proof.

BTW, I had a '06 Mega and living in south Florida, I feel your pain on the AC thing. The only problem that I had was keeping the back cool, I had no problems keeping the driver and front passenger areas cool.

I just have one question, how do you have your vents pointed? If you have them pointed away from you or towards a window that the sun is beating on, you are kinda defeating the purpose of the AC. You should have the vents pointed directly at you, cooling you down. With 4 vents in the front and 2 in the back, everyone should be able to have a vent pointed right at them.

I will just assume that you have the AC set to recirculate for better cab cooling.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 AM
ThaChad
Professional

Yes, I have the vent's pointed at me and it's set to recirculate of course. I only have the dash vent's turned on. I roll down the window to let out the HOT air inside the truck, after a couple of minutes I roll up the windows and allow the system to cool, Only it doesn't.. If you put your hand RIGHT infront of the vent it's cool air, not COLD.

I was going to take the truck to an A/C shop and ask them about possibly a larger A/C compressor if that would help, but I thought I'd post here first so I knew if I was getting right answers at the A/C shop. Of course a larger blower fan would help at circulating the air better, but I am more worried about getting the air COLD in the first palce. I don't know if replacing the blower with a larger one is even possible?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
kev2
Veteran

I am curious what is the vent discharge temp?
A little 1" round thermomiter available at parts stores A/C shops.

Quick Reply: '06 MegaCab A/C - A/C Experts Needed