3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sound System Help...Underseat Subs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:35 AM
MAHUNA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System Help...Underseat Subs

Hey, I have a 2008 Ram 1500 quad cab...I want to put in a sound system with underseat subs, want to fill the pockets under the back seats on both sides, so 2 subs...does anyone have suggestions for what size subs to get and also where to get mounting boxes that are custom built for those pockets, I have heard of a lot of people building there own but i dont have the time or resources for that right now...also any suggestions on new speakers or amp would be great too...thanks a lot

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

i dont think he is a sponsor here but joe fox makes a fiberglass box called the foxbox with many variations.

http://www.foxacoustics.com/

JBL makes a PROBOX its cost more.

I plan on using Alpine Type-R subs. 500w rms, 1500 peak and you can find a set on Ebay for 199.00 maybe cheaper

Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
VP64
Captain

the boxes are not hard to find ive seen plenty of premade boxes that go right under the rear seats for dodge qc

as for subs i always like 12s. if u are tight on space they have shallow mount subs the do not require a big enclosure. i also like alpine and kicker brand

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got to becarful on selection because theres not alot of room you can find a mdf premade box online or locally i paid 75 for mine new at alocal shop but like i said not alot of space in boxes so you have to watch your mounting depth of the speaker u choose currently im runnin a cheap kicker 10 comp and plan on upgrading around xmas time to a shallow mount something not sure what yet but that way i can have more airspace to hit harder

Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a foxbox and JL w6 10s and they are AWESOME!!!! Def go foxbox!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:56 PM
yfz450r

mtx makes a nice tunderform box that fits under the seat for 2 10" speakers you can get it preloaded or just the box, if you get it peloaded the amp is built in to the box

Old 07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Foxbox I hear can clear MANY higher end subs without issue's. Cheaper boxes can only fit shallower subs which are generally lower entry level and won't give great output at higher volumes.

I would say get 2-10's or 1 ported 12" sub. Reason is because there is a limited amount of allowable "airspace" to be contained. Most you'll get is .75cu/ft of sealed airspace per sub. That's good for a 10" but it's kinda small for a 12". You won't really be able to hit the low notes of the 12 like your suppose to and then you won't be as tight or punchy as the tens either. A ported 12" sub usually takes up about 1.5cu/ft of airspace. That's why I vote 2-10" sealed subs or 1 12" sub in a ported box.

You gonna upgrade your door speakers? I've got a complete set of Polk speakers out of my '08. Been in for only 6months or so. 6x9's 3-ways for the front doors and 6.5" 2-way for the rear doors.
Only reason for sale is because i got a great deal on some older MB Quart Q series components. The Polk speakers sound great. Very loud and very clear. I had 100w rms to each speaker and they never even thought of distorting. They take 300w.

I would say get 2-10's or 1 ported 12" sub. Reason is because there is a limited amount of allowable "airspace" to be contained. Most you'll get is .75cu/ft of sealed airspace per sub. That's good for a 10" but it's kinda small for a 12". You won't really be able to hit the low notes of the 12 like your suppose to and then you won't be as tight or punchy as the tens either. That's why I vote 2-10" sealed subs or 1 12" sub in a ported box.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:28 PM
HoustonDodge

What I had done was the console between the 2 front seats I had taken out and a custom box made with 2 12s aiming downward and a space (hole, cubicle) at the top to put things and the original console lid put back on and the box wrapped in the same color carpet as my interior. I have 4wd and they even built around the shifter on the floor. The system will blow away many with 4 15s but you will pay for it...I would do it that way. Go to a place that does custom work and not just sell you a run of the mill box. Like I said it is more expensive but it will BOOM.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM
08DodgeTRX
Professional

Originally Posted by HoustonDodge
What I had done was the console between the 2 front seats I had taken out and a custom box made with 2 12s aiming downward and a space (hole, cubicle) at the top to put things and the original console lid put back on and the box wrapped in the same color carpet as my interior. I have 4wd and they even built around the shifter on the floor. The system will blow away many with 4 15s but you will pay for it...I would do it that way. Go to a place that does custom work and not just sell you a run of the mill box. Like I said it is more expensive but it will BOOM.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:48 PM
MAHUNA

Thanks for all the input, what I am looking at since a couple commented about it is getting the foxbox for 2- 12" and throwing in the alpine type-s 12"...they have a 5" mounting depth and the foxbox gives me 7"...any input?? anyone running the alpine type-s 12" subs?? also input on door speakers?? I was looking at pioneers just from a friends suggestion...

Quick Reply: Sound System Help...Underseat Subs