3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 PM
runvs
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll trade for some set10 wheels or stock 20 inch newer style wheels

Old 09-19-2010, 11:29 PM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie

Originally Posted by firerescue90
im looking for a set of 20" stock rims for my dodge.if anyone is selling any let me know
Im looking to sell mine they are the flower peddle one also

Old 09-20-2010, 11:49 AM
02Regcab
Professional

Hey guys !
I just oredered a set of Belltech #5987 Drop Leaf springs for my rear of my
Reg cab and they are supposed to lower 3.5". I have 2 questions
#1, Can I still use lowering shackles at a later date to bring it down another 1.5" to a full 5" drop ?
#2 , If I keep it only a 3.5" drop in the back what shocks do you recommend? I have only seen 0"drop and 5" drop shocks but nothing in between..
I also got McGaughy 2" Front drop Spindles to bring the front down a little too. but my understanding is the spindles dont effect shock stress as opposed to springs because they keep same suspension geometry,, this true..?

thanks guys !
ill put up pics when the order comes in and its all installed..
(PS i was gonna do a flip kit but my factory leaf's both snapped in the same week so it was a cheaper alternative to OEM springs)

Old 09-20-2010, 01:25 PM
runvs
Veteran

sorry srt10 wheels !

Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02Regcab
Hey guys !
I just oredered a set of Belltech #5987 Drop Leaf springs for my rear of my
Reg cab and they are supposed to lower 3.5". I have 2 questions
#1, Can I still use lowering shackles at a later date to bring it down another 1.5" to a full 5" drop ?
#2 , If I keep it only a 3.5" drop in the back what shocks do you recommend? I have only seen 0"drop and 5" drop shocks but nothing in between..
I also got McGaughy 2" Front drop Spindles to bring the front down a little too. but my understanding is the spindles dont effect shock stress as opposed to springs because they keep same suspension geometry,, this true..?

thanks guys !
ill put up pics when the order comes in and its all installed..
(PS i was gonna do a flip kit but my factory leaf's both snapped in the same week so it was a cheaper alternative to OEM springs)
Hello,
I'll try to help, #1. you will have to see what kind of clearance you have with the frame. By not flipping the axle you have a whole different set of problems. With the spring on top you may be very limited in clearance. Generally when travel becomes a problem C notching provides the added needed clearance but your springs are again in the way. Most traction bars are made for a flipped axle. So you will need to fabricate something to fit. I would recomend returning the drop springs and get some new or used springs and just flip the axle. It will be easier and I think cheaper in the long run.
#2 Once you get the axle configured like you want measure the travel you have and go to a shock chart and determine which shock best suits your application. I use the Monroe chart, if you don't like Monroe shocks, cross reference them to your choice. #3. If you only have changed the front spindle the stock shock demension is what you need. Good luck...

Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by runvs
sorry srt10 wheels !
I saw the picture you posted of the rear of your ride, the Cadilac tail lights look great. Gives it a serious old school custom look. I like plain and simple but that mod is very appealing. Well done....

Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 AM
firerescue90

I'm wanting to buy some asap.I'm new to the forum word and don't quite know how to do it all yet soo if you wanna sell em e-mail me

Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
SLT8
Record Breaker

x2 I agree. Very sweet and clean.

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
I saw the picture you posted of the rear of your ride, the Cadilac tail lights look great. Gives it a serious old school custom look. I like plain and simple but that mod is very appealing. Well done....

Old 09-21-2010, 02:16 PM
runvs
Veteran

thanks guys yeah i like a stock clean looking truck but i have a s10 383 stroker hardtop convertible with deville lights and thought the older lights would set off the A** of my truck as well

Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

alright guys im in the oct totm in the 3rd gen ram general discussion....i could use a lil love in there fellas....

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....