3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012 | 01:51 AM
shrimp_2
Rookie

Originally Posted by thumperk15
Yes, it'll drop it 2/4.5 inch and if you decide to go 4/6 all you need is spindles and reinstall your stock shackles.
okay thanks. I'll look into it when i find money lol. your truck makes me want to get 24's and ditch the 22s

Old 03-03-2012 | 02:04 AM
thumperk15
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrimp_2
okay thanks. I'll look into it when i find money lol. your truck makes me want to get 24's and ditch the 22s
I liked the silver 20's just fine. I must have been trying to impress someone lol. I do like the look but it's on the verge of losing what the point of it was for...pulling some fairly bit loads. I got a good deal on these 24's and I'll buy some stocks for hauling longer distances. 22's will look good, 24's on the verge of gaudy IMO, if I found the same style wheels in a 20 I'd trade these in a heartbeat. I think wheels are too large if you can't lower it on them. I bet I could do another inch lower on mine but I want some of the truck still in it lol.

Old 03-03-2012 | 02:14 AM
shrimp_2
Rookie

I liked the silver 20's just fine. I must have been trying to impress someone lol. I do like the look but it's on the verge of losing what the point of it was for...pulling some fairly bit loads. I got a good deal on these 24's and I'll buy some stocks for hauling longer distances. 22's will look good, 24's on the verge of gaudy IMO, if I found the same style wheels in a 20 I'd trade these in a heartbeat. I think wheels are too large if you can't lower it on them. I bet I could do another inch lower on mine but I want some of the truck still in it lol.
yeah i went with 22s so i can actually go lower lol. plus 24s were a lot more than 22s. so far i havent had to tow or carry large loads so no complains. when i do the 2/4.5 drop do i need new shocks or stock fine? my truck is stock other than 2 shackles with 305/40/22s

Old 03-03-2012 | 09:39 AM
thumperk15
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrimp_2
when i do the 2/4.5 drop do i need new shocks or stock fine? my truck is stock other than 2 shackles with 305/40/22s
Umm yes probably so, 4.5 is taking a drop on the stock shocks. Did I swap mine? No, I have the stock shocks but I'm also riding on stock rear bumpstops. I sacrificed the ride quality on the rear to be low and ride about level with a 16ft trailer and my average weight 5,000lb toys. I'd say get new shocks though, they surely could only help you lol.

Old 03-07-2012 | 10:34 PM
JustINploided
Amateur

Looking for a nice lowering kit would be my first was told to get a belltech im looking for a 2/4 or possibly lower and if possible bags but im a baller on a budget and bags are pricey correct. Would i need to get new shocks with it too or just keep my stock ?

Old 03-08-2012 | 12:34 AM
thumperk15
Veteran

[/B]JustINploided[B]

Well, decide on a kit, and for example I went with the Mcgaughy's 2/4.5 kit which can get me 6 in the rear if I dont use the shackle that's in the flip kit. All I need to go 4/6 is front spindles. I would highly recommend shocks but mines 2/4.5 on stock shocks and lower and get shocks for sure.

Bags? I have 2 bagged and bodied Chevy trucks. You're looking at upwards to $10,000 to have someone do it right. Your average bag kits are $1,500. Now if you want to Z one, there's a grand to have your Dodge Z'ed to sit level. You want to Body that beast, most shops that'll do you right, $1,000 per inch, and you're probably looking at at least 3in, maybe 4in, I'm not good with the Rams.

That's all guesses but that's close if not nail on the head. My opinion? Lower it cheaper by thousands and have a better truck, bags ruin what's a good truck lol.

Old 03-08-2012 | 04:37 PM
JustINploided
Amateur

pardon what do you mean by Z'ed? oh wow sounds like its a lot more pricey then i thought i was thinking to bag it would just cost around 2 grand

Old 03-08-2012 | 04:52 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Originally Posted by JustINploided
pardon what do you mean by Z'ed? oh wow sounds like its a lot more pricey then i thought i was thinking to bag it would just cost around 2 grand
You can Z a frame to gain a level stance. Take my '67 C-10 for instance, a Z is free unless you pay labor costs, a Porterbiult dropmember is $2,500. Now, take this year Dodge, you need to Z the front to lay level, you need to bodydrop to lay rockers but what style? There's stock floor and traditional, stock floor is just that, the other and you lose head room because floor raises. Now, most bag kits are $1,500ish but they need put on. So, will you use a panhard bar causing axle shift at different heights or pay $500ish for a good 4-link, you could use a wattslink? If you decide to bag get me your plans and I'll get you a close price but that's the short rundown.

Old 03-08-2012 | 04:53 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Oh and plan on narrowing the rearend like 2in on each side.

Old 03-09-2012 | 09:58 PM
JustINploided
Amateur

You can Z a frame to gain a level stance. Take my '67 C-10 for instance, a Z is free unless you pay labor costs, a Porterbiult dropmember is $2,500. Now, take this year Dodge, you need to Z the front to lay level, you need to bodydrop to lay rockers but what style? There's stock floor and traditional, stock floor is just that, the other and you lose head room because floor raises. Now, most bag kits are $1,500ish but they need put on. So, will you use a panhard bar causing axle shift at different heights or pay $500ish for a good 4-link, you could use a wattslink? If you decide to bag get me your plans and I'll get you a close price but that's the short rundown.

I just want It leveled and also be able to drive over speed bumps with out scraping. Sorta wanna keep my head room I am a pretty tall man. Whats a wattslink. I have no plans Just trying to figure out how it all works and what to do!! I want it lvl low able to bag up to drive over curbs i assume ill need a skid plate... and my flowmasters dont want them to scrape.

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....