3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed, spindles always first.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:21 PM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i do a 4/6 kit it will come with the spindles. from the way im looking at it just new 2" drop spindles are $450 w/o shipping and a 4/6 drop would be around $670 w/o shipping and then all i would have to do was get a few little mods and get me lower and get my buddy to make me a C notch that is actually worth something.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:41 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tx,
Not to dampen your excitement, but with 2" drop spindles and the bump cups removed my 285/50-20's will rub on the inner fender wells on full compression. I installed aftermarket 1-5/8" bumps and they keep the tires from rubbing. What I am trying to say is that the front inner fenders are shallow and you will probably need to remove them going 4" in the front and still have any usable suspension travel. The rears if I dropped 6" would require a notch as you indicated and either the fender lips cut and/or a different rim tire combo. Many aftermarket 20 rims are 8", not the OEM 9 inch so that might help. Or a 17" rim and a smaller tire to keep everything inside. By no means am I saying not to do it, but keep in mind you may have to make a lot of changes to make it all workable with a 4/6 drop. Have a honest talk with someone with a 4/6 drop and note all the little details that was done to make it work. Good luck.. Post pictures, everyone loves a 4/6 drop.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 PM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Tx,
Not to dampen your excitement, but with 2" drop spindles and the bump cups removed my 285/50-20's will rub on the inner fender wells on full compression. I installed aftermarket 1-5/8" bumps and they keep the tires from rubbing. What I am trying to say is that the front inner fenders are shallow and you will probably need to remove them going 4" in the front and still have any usable suspension travel. The rears if I dropped 6" would require a notch as you indicated and either the fender lips cut and/or a different rim tire combo. Many aftermarket 20 rims are 8", not the OEM 9 inch so that might help. Or a 17" rim and a smaller tire to keep everything inside. By no means am I saying not to do it, but keep in mind you may have to make a lot of changes to make it all workable with a 4/6 drop. Have a honest talk with someone with a 4/6 drop and note all the little details that was done to make it work. Good luck.. Post pictures, everyone loves a 4/6 drop.
Thanks Red, Well ive heard that i can actually run as low as i think it was a 5/8 with my 22X9.5 rims and a few of my buddy i think are actually still running with their wheel wells in and are lower then that but i need to double check on that

Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 AM
ricofv

ok ,still havent got my helper bags .. but i think im goin to c-notch it first. im bouncing off the frame alot with this 2/4.5 drop .... fig if i did the helperbags that i'd just have to keep them stiff so i dont bottom out.
so looking at doin a mild c-notch and then the helper bags.

anybody use a mild c-notch ? and whats a good brand to use ?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:31 AM
ricofv
Old 11-28-2010, 05:44 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I think there may be an alternative to notching if you are only occassionally bottoming out and don't intend to go lower using a Aeon spring (A155-65). This is a passive system that replaces the bump stops. They are rated at 650 lbs and fully compressed they are only 3/4" high. And are short enough not to raise the ride hieght. Basically a super bump stop. I haven't tried them but am hopeful the will work.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:49 PM
ricofv

hmmm ,got a link for them ?

thing is , is that i have like 2 1/2 inches of clearance right now. i need some helper bags cause i pull a 16 ft trailer with 2-3 4 wheelers.... but when not towing , if i hit a dip it bounces off the bump stops. had one bag off deer corn in the back and it was hitting just goin over speed bumps at wal-mart.. lol

i need more clearance

Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by ricofv
hmmm ,got a link for them ?

thing is , is that i have like 2 1/2 inches of clearance right now. i need some helper bags cause i pull a 16 ft trailer with 2-3 4 wheelers.... but when not towing , if i hit a dip it bounces off the bump stops. had one bag off deer corn in the back and it was hitting just goin over speed bumps at wal-mart.. lol

i need more clearance
Here you go, http://timbren.com/aeon-single-convolution-springs.htm

I have 3-1/2 inches from frame to axle and these are 2-1/8 tall and compress to being 7/8" inch tall under full compression. They would not raise the ride hieght and would only come into play as the axle is driven toward the frame. Inititally starting with 300 lbs and increasing to a full 650 lbs at full compression. So they, would be rated to assist as a pair between 600 lbs -1300 lbs as a totally passive system.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 PM
fordmandodgefan

any one know who has a 2/4 drop for a 04 4x4

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....