3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, get this. We had a decent ice event christmas eve. I had to work, I get off at 11pm, so you know it sucked getting home. Anyway, ya'll know how much has come off the rear end of my truck. Took the spare off and the bumper. You know the drill. Anyways, my back tires are almost bald. I figure I'm def gonna get stuck on my way home. Not the case, actually I did not stop COMPLETELY at any point. Figured that would b a sure way of getting stuck. Yes, I did roll stop signs and a couple red lights. But, I was going maybe 2mph, and nobody was on the road. Anyway, my point is, how in heck did I NOT get stuck? With all those things stacked against me, I figured I'd be off in a ditch somewhere. I mean, I came from Maryland, so winter weather driving ain't no biggy for me. But, ice, is a different story. I don't care how bada** your rig is, 4x4 or not, you're not going anywhere in ice unless you're very, very careful. People don't understand that concept down here, I'm doing maybe 10mph on the HIGHWAY, I got people in 4x4 trucks, hummers, all passin me doin like 45-50mph. People are dumb down here. I'm sorry if that offends any of you "born n raised in texas" people, but it's true. N heck, it's so dangerous for everyone else on the road. I was prayin the whole way home, not that I was worried about wreckin but that I was worried about people hittin and killin me cause of their stupidity. Man, guys, I'm sorry to rant about this, but it's got me hot. Especially with us "supposedly" havin another ice/snow event tomorrow n wed. Gonna b fun. Thank god I'm off both those days. Hope it's gone by thurs, otherwise it's gonna b a slip n' slide on the roads again. LOL.

TTYL, guys. Again, sorry for my absence.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:48 PM
tuned93
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live in fl... cant relate, sorry lol

Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

I got the 2/4 kit(coils and flip kit), and I just got a house and shop and we close Jan. 29th. I can use the shop on that day but I'm getting excited about having it lowered. The guy that bagged my 67 Chevy said he can do the kit tomorrow for $200. I thought about asking for $100 and I'd help any I can and learn a thing or two. Should I do it, $200 seems good but holidays broke me and I'm ordering 22/24's for another truck. What's the going rate on this kinda drop installed?

Old 01-01-2010, 11:51 PM
SomeGuyWithGuns
Amateur

Hello,

new to the forum...I have a 06 QC, just lowered it two days ago. Used the Mcgauhey's 2/4.5 kit and Nitro drop 2's but left factory shackles on it. from the looks of it right now I will have to cut the coils a bit to lower the front some more. I am bottoming out with just me in the truck. I saw an earlier thread about helper bags but did not see a answer...I might have missed it. any suggestion? what has worked for you guys...thanks for your help.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Originally Posted by SomeGuyWithGuns
Hello,

new to the forum...I have a 06 QC, just lowered it two days ago. Used the Mcgauhey's 2/4.5 kit and Nitro drop 2's but left factory shackles on it. from the looks of it right now I will have to cut the coils a bit to lower the front some more. I am bottoming out with just me in the truck. I saw an earlier thread about helper bags but did not see a answer...I might have missed it. any suggestion? what has worked for you guys...thanks for your help.
Congrats! You sir have just installed a 6 inch drop in the rear. I did the same. LOL. DON'T CUT THE COILS, just buy Drop Spindles and use the coils as they came. You will, once everything is done, have a 4/6. Most people will tell you you need to c-notch the rear frame, I didn't. The only time I bottom out is if I'm going to fast on a residential street or I got a loaded truck, 2 people in front, 3 in back. Then, yeah it does bottom out, if I'm not careful.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

joe the key is to not stop i roll through every stop sign and time my lights perfectly so i never stop. slow and easy. it is always fun to mash the gas and kick the *** out sideways though.

someguywithguns did you retain your factory bump stops? that may be a problem. helper bags will do that help

Old 01-02-2010, 12:54 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Stopping isn't when I bottom out though. It always happens when I am going down the highway at a high rate of speed and hit a small dip, however big enough to cause me to bottom out. Or when I am going about 10-15 over on a residential street. Same prob there, too many small dips. That's where I bottom out at. But shoot, if I could just learn to not speed, I wouldn't EVER bottom out.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
SomeGuyWithGuns
Amateur

I removed the factory bump stops and replaced them with the ones that came with the kit

Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

welcome guy with guns...show us some pics of that beast...its funny joe you are leo and come on here complaining you speed to much ....sorry but typical every leo i know breaks the law more than a reg citizen.....thumper i would do it offer a hudo and help nothing wrong with learning that way you see what he does and now you know what to do if it needs fixin.....

Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

i was talking about on the ice buddy

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....