3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A few Questions about the DMH Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About this switch.
What you need to do when you have finnaly fitted everything, is to get under the truck.
Then, with the cutout closed get someone to activate the switch and watch the cutout blade open underneath the truck. Time how long you need to keep the switch activated to makke the cutout go fully open and then, when you need to do this "on the fly", use this time value.
You won't screw the motor that way.
If you keep the switch activated for too long, it WILL burn out the motor.
I've been doing this for 3 years now with no problems.
Oh and BTW, 3 years with it opening and closing at all revs whilst moving, with no problems.
Hope this helps?
AL.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 AM
06 RMK 900
Rookie

Originally Posted by abarmby
About this switch.
What you need to do when you have finnaly fitted everything, is to get under the truck.
Then, with the cutout closed get someone to activate the switch and watch the cutout blade open underneath the truck. Time how long you need to keep the switch activated to makke the cutout go fully open and then, when you need to do this "on the fly", use this time value.
You won't screw the motor that way.
If you keep the switch activated for too long, it WILL burn out the motor.
I've been doing this for 3 years now with no problems.
Oh and BTW, 3 years with it opening and closing at all revs whilst moving, with no problems.
Hope this helps?
AL.
Thanks, I have been watching on Youtube and you can actually hear it open and close and tell when it's open when the engine is off. Thats what I had planned on doing, Read another post about 4 seconds it took to open.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
06 RMK 900
Rookie

Well I got my cut out welded in and Wired up. Did everything myself. I really was amazed on how well my welding turned out. Was going to have someone else weld it but everyone wanted $70 to do it so I gave it a try and it turned out great.

Only problem I have is that it sometimes won’t open or close all the way. I think the paint on the inside is holding it up. I plan on just going in with a file and taking the paint of so it open and closes easier. Other than that it sounds awesome.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Mine had that issue as well. If you double up on the gasket (take the gasket they send with it and use it as a template on a new piece of gasket material) it should work out fine. We noticed it didn'y open and close right after it was installed and welded up so we did what we could with a dremel and grinder but in the end the doubled gasket did the trick.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06 RMK 900
Well I got my cut out welded in and Wired up. Did everything myself. I really was amazed on how well my welding turned out. Was going to have someone else weld it but everyone wanted $70 to do it so I gave it a try and it turned out great.

Only problem I have is that it sometimes won’t open or close all the way. I think the paint on the inside is holding it up. I plan on just going in with a file and taking the paint of so it open and closes easier. Other than that it sounds awesome.
Also check the gasket that goes between the y-pipe and cutout motor, sometimes that gets in the way of the valve closing all the way.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
hemipower05
Professional

ya im definately gettin these cut outs tooooo... ive been thinkn of gettin a custom exhaust done since my trucks extremely quiet with a 40 series FM muffler.... i plan on gettin the at3030 muffler, and want that cutout in the exhaust preferably right after the exhaust manifold... i want my truck soundin like a nascar when im drivin with it open!! lol if its that bad to open/close em while drivin, where could it be placed so its obnoxisly loud but has the normal roar at the flip of the switch? would it be better to run 2 single exhaust lines with two cutouts??

Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
hemipower05
Professional

i have a lot of exhaust questions because i have had 2 different mufflers on my truck and both just dont make my truck sound like the beast it reallly is...

Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
06 RMK 900
Rookie

Go with the Cut out. I placed mine right in the middle between the Y-pipe and the muffler. If I get a chance I will try and get a video clip of how it sounds. If you youtube Cut outs you can find lots of video clips with Rams that have them.

Thanks Everyone think I might try adding another gasket sounds like a good idea.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06 RMK 900
Thanks Everyone think I might try adding another gasket sounds like a good idea.
My gasket started falling apart after about 6 months and a piece got in the way of the valve closing. I took it out and haven't had a problem since running it with no gasket.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Well you're lucky teach, mine wont open all the way without a doubled up gasket on there. They didn't do a very good job at quality control on the flowtech pipe.

As for 1 or 2 cutouts on your truck, personally I would only go with one, two would be nice if you had the motor built up enough that you dont loose any low end but with out a cam / heads / headers to make up for it I would not go the double route. Even with the single one you can loose some low end depending on the mods done to the truck already. I can vouch for that personally, when I first put mine on I was running faster 0-60 times with closed running through the catback than with it opened up, however, opened up on a dyno showed a higher peak power gain than with it closed.

Quick Reply: A few Questions about the DMH Cutout