3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Suspension - No springs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RamMan
Mind you they used t-bars in the rear because they were stronger and resisted the roll of the rear axel under the emense power of some of these cars. Even to this day you find people converting from rear springs to torsion bars in alot of muscle cars.

Basically a torsion bar is a metal bar that returns to form after being flexed. In fact a spring is a form of torsion bar, Just the ones in are trucks take different shape. instead of a coil, they are generally straight.

If you want to see a really good example of a torsion bar, Look at those flex frames on eye glasses and imagine that scaled up a bit.
I've NEVER heard of torsion bars in a rear suspension. What vehicles had those? Are you talking about ladder bars? Those are a form of traction control coupled with coilovers. Cars at that time had either leafs (all mopars) or coils (GM A bodies) out back.

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 08-12-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I think you're referring to ladder bars in the rear, not torsion. And 4-Link setups ARE independent, each corner reacts separately from the others depending on terrain. That's why all trophy-trucks/pre-runners use that set-up, or a 3-link setup.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Originally Posted by CreativeOffroad
Yeah, I think you're referring to ladder bars in the rear, not torsion. And 4-Link setups ARE independent, each corner reacts separately from the others depending on terrain. That's why all trophy-trucks/pre-runners use that set-up, or a 3-link setup.
Your right, I was thinking of the ladder bars.

On a side note, I thought I read somewhere the other day that there was going to be a factory option for airbag suspension on 2010 1500's. anyone heard anything about that?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Originally Posted by CreativeOffroad
And 4-Link setups ARE independent, each corner reacts separately from the others depending on terrain. That's why all trophy-trucks/pre-runners use that set-up, or a 3-link setup.
Not 100% true. There are also 3 and 4 links used with solid axles. Usually for major rock crawling such as the XRRA.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Oh damn, I completely forgot about rock crawlers haha. Let's put it this way, high-speed desert terrain is alot easier to navigate with a 4-link ifs setup.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Okay, can someone, please show me a 4-link ifs setup? To run a four link you'd be running a solid axle and a solid axle can NEVER be referred to as IFS. Let look into this some more, the "i" in IFS refers to independent, ie; the passenger side tire moves up and down "independently" from the the drivers side with either "A" arms or trailing arms, each side is "independent" front the other. I've never seen, heard of, or can imagine someone connecting a four link to an "A" arm or trailing arms. Now with a four linked solid front axle if I moved said passenger tire up compressing it the drivers side tire is going to roll onto the outside tread shoulder, which is not independent, what I do to one side effects the other in some way. Almost all the trophy trucks I've seen are running long a$$ front A arms and a long travel swing arm in the rear. And as far as car shows go, I've been to enough to know what ladder bars are, I can also tell you what a suicide daygo'd front suspension is. Hope I'm not going on a tangent, but I think there are a few misconceptions suspension systems in this thread.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hoss356
Okay, can someone, please show me a 4-link ifs setup? To run a four link you'd be running a solid axle and a solid axle can NEVER be referred to as IFS. Let look into this some more, the "i" in IFS refers to independent, ie; the passenger side tire moves up and down "independently" from the the drivers side with either "A" arms or trailing arms, each side is "independent" front the other. I've never seen, heard of, or can imagine someone connecting a four link to an "A" arm or trailing arms. Now with a four linked solid front axle if I moved said passenger tire up compressing it the drivers side tire is going to roll onto the outside tread shoulder, which is not independent, what I do to one side effects the other in some way. Almost all the trophy trucks I've seen are running long a$$ front A arms and a long travel swing arm in the rear. And as far as car shows go, I've been to enough to know what ladder bars are, I can also tell you what a suicide daygo'd front suspension is. Hope I'm not going on a tangent, but I think there are a few misconceptions suspension systems in this thread.

You know, I was thinking the same thing but I dont know too much about trophy trucks and the hardcore ifs setups they use so I didnt say anything about it.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 PM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoss356
Good post, and i agree 99% but...

almost all consumer trucks these days come equiped with anti-sway bars in the front, be it a SFA or IFS therefore you cant say an IFS front end is a true IFS because as one side compresses the other side does the same in order to keep the truck relatively level in turns. This hinders the ability for both sides to travel in a true independent fashion, even when goin over the small stuff like expansion joints or speedbumps. But, take your sway bar off and you'll notice a HUGE improvement in the ride especially when goin over the bigger stuff...at the expense of stability of course.

So when you think about it, todays IFS's reacts quite similar to solid front ends in terms of bump absorbtion all because of this neat invention called the anti-sway bar!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:17 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why for offroading it's one of the first things removed/unhooked.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by PETE_YK
Good post, and i agree 99% but...

almost all consumer trucks these days come equiped with anti-sway bars in the front, be it a SFA or IFS therefore you cant say an IFS front end is a true IFS because as one side compresses the other side does the same in order to keep the truck relatively level in turns. This hinders the ability for both sides to travel in a true independent fashion, even when goin over the small stuff like expansion joints or speedbumps. But, take your sway bar off and you'll notice a HUGE improvement in the ride especially when goin over the bigger stuff...at the expense of stability of course.

So when you think about it, todays IFS's reacts quite similar to solid front ends in terms of bump absorbtion all because of this neat invention called the anti-sway bar!
I knew somebody was mention the sway bar, don't forget solid axles also need them for street use. Now, keeping in mind it's sole purpose in to reduce body roll by tying the wheels together, it still has enough flex to allow the wheel to move separately during bumps and pot holes or fast moments. But tying this back to the original topic Curry Enterprises offers an actual torsion based sway bar for jeeps owners who are too lazy to get out and disconnect the sway bar manually.

Quick Reply: Front End Suspension - No springs??