3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No power

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
scubamado
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hi All, Just introducing myself. I just bought a 05' Ram 1500 SLT less then 60 days ago has 68,000 miles on it and I am finding issues with it. Don't know what has been done to it except duel exaust with Y pipe and 20" wheels have been put on it.

Problem is I have no power. As soon as I hit an incline of any size it boggs down and all I want to do is turn around and go back down the hill. Kind of imbarrassing if you know what I mean. Had The local rearend shop wants to change the gears out but then I was told to just get a programer cause the trucks that come stock with the 20" wheels have the same rearend as the stock trucks with 17" on them. What to do????? any ideas would be greatley apreciated.

thanks.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
scubamado
Default No power

Hi All,

I just bought an 05' Ram 1500 SLT to pull my little 17' travel trailer thinking it would be no problem...... LOL, Well let me say I had to use my toyota RAV4 to pull it. Yes you heard it correctly.

Nice truck with duel exaust and 20" wheels. whats could be the problem?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:53 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF Scuba. A tuner would definently be cheaper than gears... What motor does the truck have? I am gonna move your thread over to the 3rd Gen Ram guys and they maybe able to assist you more. Good luck!

Btw Welcome to DF!

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 08-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
scubamado

I have the 4.7 V8 Sorry. Thought I listed it but guess I forgot......

Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I would maybe try a tune up, check your plugs, wires, air filter and such. As "BOLT" said a tuner would be cheaper than gears but both would definitely pick it up. If its got 68K on it it should have had the plugs changed but if you don't have any documentation then I would prolly change them and do a complete tune up, changing all the fluids too. Thats just a thing of mine when I buy a used vehicle I do that just for piece of mind. BTW welcome to DF!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which engine? This would help us greatly to explain the problems. Im just doing this to save time for other expert.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by scubamado
Hi All,

I just bought an 05' Ram 1500 SLT to pull my little 17' travel trailer thinking it would be no problem...... LOL, Well let me say I had to use my toyota RAV4 to pull it. Yes you heard it correctly.

Nice truck with duel exaust and 20" wheels. whats could be the problem?
this sounds like a bad joke. it just couldn't get it moving? or it was too slow? had to rev to high?
an 05, even with the 4.7, should be able to pull that trailer with the rav 4 on top of it.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

how much does your trailer weigh? how steep a hill you talkin? no check engine light?

edit: threads merged

Last edited by xfeejayx; 08-10-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by BEAR
I would maybe try a tune up, check your plugs, wires, air filter and such. As "BOLT" said a tuner would be cheaper than gears but both would definitely pick it up. If its got 68K on it it should have had the plugs changed but if you don't have any documentation then I would prolly change them and do a complete tune up, changing all the fluids too. Thats just a thing of mine when I buy a used vehicle I do that just for piece of mind. BTW welcome to DF!
Do you think that just usual maintenance crap like that would do this? If the truck boggs down when going up a hill without the trailer even on it, wouldn't that be a sign that something is definitely wrong? lol.

I pulled a trailer when I still had my 4.7 and it was no problem at all...Something sounds messed up with his truck.

Like he said though, those guys telling you to re-gear sound like they are just trying to get some money out of you for sure.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
scubamado

Hi guys thanks for all the responses.

Not a bad joke. the truck really has no power. have to keep it reved up to do just about anything. The trailer doesnt even weigh 0ver 4k...... lol just going down a flat freeway, as soon as the tranny shifts to the last gear I might as well get out and walk. cruises ok at 60mph on flat ground but try to do the 70mph speed limit on I-5 thru Sacramento, CA the truck is so load cause you have to keep it in a lower gear just to go.

I will do a tune up. and see how that goes. engine sounds great, no misses or anything. You don't think it could be the tranny do you? I'll change the fluid for that too.

What programmer do you guys reccomend?

Oh and by the way I'm not a guy Just a gal who likes her trucks

Quick Reply: No power