3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need a law enforcement perspective ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 PM
casper3380
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To subnit5, glad to see you are ok from that incident. I my self am in the academy now and am entering this field. It has nothing to do with the ticket, look at the end result. I don't want some mad man running around shooting at police, do you think that he would be afraid of shooting at you? If he shoots at police over a simple traffic infraction, your meat. It is a difficult job that you wouldnt know unless you were in it, and very dangerous at times. As for the original post, aside for being hard to understand, your best bet is to be courteous when pulled over, it is more likely to get you a warning. Being belligerent will only make matters worse( no matter to what degree of belligerence). I would have given you a warning at best, not really worth the time over something so trivial.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
There's no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid people. As to that question, are you seriously going to ask something stupid like that about "making the state a few hundred" for running a stop sign? Say someone you love was in the middle of that intersection and he ran that stop sign. Oh, whats the big deal, he ran a stop sign. I'm betting you damn sure want him to pull someone over for that...Do you honestly think the whole point of it was to "make the state a few hundred bucks"?

You're obviously missing the point behind my question, so let me try to elaborate and put it into terms you can comprehend. I'm not disputing the fact people shouldn't run stop signs. I am however trying to understand why an individual would risk their life for a traffic violation. I can understand bringing down gangs, drug lords, murderers, rapist, etc; but a traffic violation? We all know (even officers) that ticketing is a major part of state funding. This is why you see police more often during these gloom economic times setting up speed traps. Traffic tickets aren't solely issued to improve the safety of other motorist.
This is the fact the spawned my earlier question.

Since you like to ask questions like that, are you going to ask a service member, especially one overseas, if the measly amount of $$ they pay enlisted people is worth getting shot at? Most people who become cops don't initially decide on that vocation because they want to power trip. Rookies are overly enthusiastic, it happens everywhere. Now do some people abuse their authority? Damn right, my uncle was one of them (NJ state trooper) and we've all seen examples.

Completely different. Risking your life by pulling over an individual for a traffic violation is a lot different than risking your life for the sake of this great country. 95% of my friends are active military. I myself am currently in AFROTC and obtaining my degree in Aviation Training. Two of my best friends are overseas in the Marine Corps. To answer your question, yes. It is worth being shot at if that is what it takes to protect the nation. It's not about the money.

In my own personal experience working with the marine & landside police (state, county & local) in various states (I'm USCG), the state and county guys tend to be more professional and have less attitude and ego than the local guys, always with your notable exceptions.

It seems people misinterpreted my comments as being negative to the police force.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

See the thing I see is that 99 percent of Police officers are nce down to earth guys who care for their community and will protect the area from the bad apples of society. I have met many more nice officers than not nice officers. I have total respect for any officer as long as they show me respect. I undertand that the job is scary and yeah not everyone has a good day we are human. The reason so much negativity come towards cops is because people never tell us about the good experiences they have with law enforcement. No one cares to mention the druggies taken off the strret the muderer's and rapist's put away or the scheming ******* that take money from old people. Rather they are too caught up in how officers wronged them for their own wrong doings. Im not perfect and yes I have bad mouthed officers in some of my discussions but this is only a small fraction of the enforcers out there. We should be thankful for all members of law enforcement because we have no idea how lucky we are not to have to deal with the bull**** and greasy people that they do.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 PM
dodg360
Rookie

My last comment in this thread....The Oklahoma City bomber was caught by...you guessed it, getting stopped for a simple traffic infraction. The more contacts you make, the more likely you'll find the big fish. Criminals drive cars and commit minor infractions.

Also, I really don't give a crap if the state makes money off the citations I write. I write them because people drive horribly and I'd prefer they not take out my family. Most accidents (many fatal) were caused by a "minor" infraction. It's all about education and holding people responsible for their actions. It's called "law enforcement" for a reason...to enforce the laws which were created to keep people safe. FYI, I'm VERY leniant on speed and most citations were written because of the idiots that say, "Don't you have something better to do?" Well, rockstar, you weren't getting that ticket until you said that. That person is obviously not going to change their actions, so a ticket will make a bigger point and hopefully keep them from continuing that behavior. And yes, I'll risk my life for a minor infraction...it's what I'm paid to do.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
It seems people misinterpreted my comments as being negative to the police force.
You're obviously missing the point behind my question, so let me try to elaborate and put it into terms you can comprehend. I'm not disputing the fact people shouldn't run stop signs. I am however trying to understand why an individual would risk their life for a traffic violation. I can understand bringing down gangs, drug lords, murderers, rapist, etc; but a traffic violation? We all know (even officers) that ticketing is a major part of state funding. This is why you see police more often during these gloom economic times setting up speed traps. Traffic tickets aren't solely issued to improve the safety of other motorist. This is the fact the spawned my earlier question.
My comprehension is fine. Your articulation, on the other hand...I'm reasonably certain that they didn't know (or expect) when they pulled said @sshole over that it was going to be a shooting gallery. I do however agree about the whole ticket thing being pushed more for revenue and numbers. It's just that you never know if it IS going to be some nut with an assault rifle or just some mouthy little f*cker who thinks he knows all.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

everytime i get pulled over the cops take my weed.... i mean really!?!? wtf!!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:19 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

regardless of what happened, demand their supervisor. rookies, no matter what officers try to buffalo you with, have that chip on their shoulder. if you ever feel that the situation is ridiculous, demand their supervisor. all officers have to meet that demand. as a warning, use it cautiously though. for one, its gonna hold you up longer. two, if and when sup comes out, depending on situation and attitude, you could be digging your self a hole. used it once, watched rookie get chewed the **** out, was given an apology and sent on my way.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:20 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

Originally Posted by nim81
everytime i get pulled over the cops take my weed.... i mean really!?!? wtf!!
Lololz

Old 08-15-2009, 04:21 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Alberta, if you have a expired copy of your pink slip, or registration with a current, up to date copy, that is a fine.

I was pulled over leaving a bar parking lot, not a problem, I was the designated driver of my girl friends seinna and her group of partying house wifes.

As I'm sorting threw the expired pink slips and regestration to find the correct up to date copies, the officer asks were are you going, where have you been, have I had any thing to drink to night.

I was polite and when the office returned my license, he told my girl friend he could issue a ticket for having copies of expired pink slips, regestration, but he was not going to.

This officer had my respect right from the start and I thanked him, constable, ( last name on shirt lappal )

Last edited by cyclone429; 08-15-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cyclone429
In Alberta, if you have a expired copy of your pink slip, or registration with a current, up to date copy, that is a fine.

I was pulled over leaving a bar parking lot, not a problem, I was the designated driver of my girl friends seinna and her group of partying house wifes.

As I'm sorting threw the expired pink slips and regestration to find the correct up to date copies, the officer asks were are you going, where have you been, have I had any thing to drink to night.

I was polite and when the office returned my license, he told my girl friend he could issue a ticket for having copies of expired pink slips, regestration, but he was not going to.

This officer had my respect right from the start and I thanked him, constable, ( last name on shirt lappal )
Same I got busted doing 25 over in a company truck and guess what no insurance papers he still gave me the ticket but spared me the failure to produce insurance ticket which i thought was cool he said I know how small comanies work papers get lost but I know your covered just keep er slowed down have a good trip. That was cool.

Quick Reply: I need a law enforcement perspective ...