3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Tick

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Libtech
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Tick

So I have done some reading on the subject and still somewhat concerned. I can hear my hemi ticking on my '05. It has 98K Km on it right now. 2 K left on warranty. I hear it mostly when I am up against a wall driving or idling sometimes I can hear it from the drivers side wheel well.

Is this going to cause me some major issue, or should I have Dodge look and fix it?

There was a post awhile ago that I cam across which I have pasted below, is it true?

Chrysler has known for some time how to correct
"Hemi tick" but so many engines and $ are involved
that they are afraid of issuing a recall or TSB.

They have a solution that your dealership can find
by checking their
"Star Online" computer data base
for solution number K59926684 or K21050787

The ticking problem is that the valve guide internal diameters are too big,
and the solution involves putting in new valves with oversize stems.

If you are still under warranty
Chrysler will pay for this if you complain enough,
but if you are out of warranty
it is an expensive repair.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Libtech
Rookie

In regards to that posted service bulletin, is it true? Do they actually relate to the issue and could I take them in with me to the dealer and say look at these bulletins...

Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

They will send you out the door.

No worries man. My 2008 Ram started ticking at just 400miles. 6,000miles later. No change

It's valve guide slop

Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

I don't worry about mine, but it really can do damage after a while. If you can get them to do it, great. If not, it's not the end of the world. Though I would almost worry about them going into a perfectly good engine, might screw up something else.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Libtech
Rookie

Hmm alright thanks guys.

You mean it CAN? or CANT? do damage? I am worried slight that it will. I get the feeling its a lack of oil thing as when the engine revs up a bit it seems to go away slightly.

Oh welll, I'll watch it I guess. only 2K KM left on warranty so I dont want to be out for a new motor. I love the truck and glad I bought it a couple weeks ago, but I had buyin used for this reason hah.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

it CAN do damage. if the valve is wobbling around in there, it has the potential to drop eventually...but I also have the potential to fall out of my chair. neither has happened yet

Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Anything that makes noise inside of an engine can do enough damage after a while to sieze something or make in inoperable. How long will that take? 20k? 100k? 200k?

They are going to tell you that when it breaks then they will fix it. EWspecially with the miles you have on it and only a short while for your warranty to run out.

Mine was noticeable from even 10ft away until I poured in some Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer because I didn't wanna listen to it. It quieted it right down. Less noise=less damage

Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Libtech
Rookie

Lame hah. I know if I had to rebuild my motor I couldnt afford it right now. Bleh maybe I should sell the bloody thing.

Its odd you know. If I start it after sitting for awhile you hear it from the drivers side. Like a slight deisel truck noise that others have mentioned. Then if I rev it up a bit for 2-3 seconds and let the RPM's drop it seems to just about go away. Which makes me wonder about it taking a minute to get the oil up to the top possibley.

Is Lucas Synthetic Stabilier an oil additive and do you have to be useing Synthetic oil? I am using 5W20 Quaker State conventional.

I was also looking at Lucas's fuel additive with injector cleaners, the stuff is oil based, anyone used that before?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Libtech
Rookie

Well.... We'll see what is happens but I just called my local dealer about it. He asked me how many KM were on the Truck. Then said sounds like you might have a sticky lifter, but lets bring it before the warranty is up and get it looked at. We won't charge you anything.... I was kind of in awe about that last part, I didn't have to ask for anything.

So I am going to drop it off next week and see what they say. I'll update you all later on it. Though he also told me there's no way for it to fall through, they only go so far and the most that would happen is you would misfire on that cylinder...

Last edited by Libtech; 08-13-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I doubt it's a sticky lifter, but hey, maybe they will do a free fuel injector service for ya....lol

Lucas Synthetic I believe can be poured in conventional oil as well. They do make a conventional stabilizer that's half the price.
Lucas Fuel injector cleaner is the best stuff out IMO. No crazy harsh chemicals to dry your seals. I use the stuf every oil change. Buy the big Gallon and you'll save money.

Quick Reply: Hemi Tick