3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do you clean your trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean your trucks?

Ever since I started driving, I can never make my mind up about what is the most cost effective, effective, time effective way to clean your vehicle. About every 3-4 months I have my vehicle detailed, but during those segments I go crazy with how to wash my truck. I've done it all; touchless, brush, and hand wash. The touchstones car wash doesn't touch your paint, but it also doesn't do **** for taking any of the dirt off, it just puts a polish over the existing dirt. The brush wash almost always looks amazing, but something just seems wrong about letting those brushes smack my paint at high velocities. And the hand washing almost always takes about an hour and a half, is hit or miss depending upon how the drying process comes out, and makes a huge mess.

Yesterday I wanted to get a wash on the new detail and went through a touchless. After parking it in the sun, I noticed all of the dirt was still there and that it had just glazed over it. So this morning I went through the brush-wash and plugged my ears and closed my eyes as I heard the brushes smacking my paint, however, it came out amazing looking. I would prefer to do hand washes, but they are time consuming, messy, tiring, and only a seasonal solution because it's Maine.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:50 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do the self wash place once a week. i have it down to a science now and can get my truck done in 45min to an hour. i only claybar, wax once a every 2 months

Old 08-16-2009, 02:55 PM
shadow11
Veteran

I wash my truck myself once a week by hand. No car wash place can do as good a job as you can do. Also I wax it every two weeks.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wash my truck about every 2-3 weeks and I take it to the high pressure wash and use the foam brush and also take my shammy it takes about 30 min to get it all done and always llooks fantastic as well and i always use the clear coat protectant and everything just beads up and runs away

Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

You'll never beat doing it by hand, your self. IMO if its worth doing its worth doing right. Take your time and remember perfection takes time. I only go to the AUTO car washes if its been raining for days and I can't wait to get some of the gunk knocked off or if I've been muddin and need to wash the underside. And then I usually go home and finish the job. Ain't no high velocity brush touching my baby!OH AND btw when I say AUTO car washes I mean the kind where you get out and grab the spray nozzle and wash the truck yourself. Lazy won't get you no where.

Last edited by BEAR; 08-16-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:03 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the summer i wash at home with the hose every 1-2 weeks, but in the winter our water pump is unhooked so i cant use the hose... then i go to to the do it yourself high pressure washes. the problem is, when its cold outside the water freezes before i can dry it off. I dont have a nice heated garage to thaw it out in either. and i usually spend twards $10 at the so it yourself wash, and **** off the guy behind me who has been waiting for a half hour while i handwash my truck

in cold climates its a pain in the ***, but it is especially important to get the salt off...

Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM
mbarclay

i wash mine by hand at least once a week the only time i go to the car wash is in the winter the do it yourself ones and about once a month only in the winter i go to a drive through place that gets the undercarriage to remove the salt and crap.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM
bloodySUNDAY134
Professional

i wash mine once a week depending on the weather. i like going to the do it yourself wash and use the high pressure hose with the scrub brush. then i take it home and wash it by hand and do a more detailed job. i wax once a month. i can usually do everything in about 2 1/2 hours maybe a little more, but i like to wash my truck, it's therapeutic for me. plus it's black so i can breathe on it and it gets dirty.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

I hand wash mine about every other day. I'm a firefighter on a military base and work 24hr shifts. With so much down time(expecially on the weekends) I go nuts trying to keep myself busy. Washing my truck and listening to some tunes is a good way to kill a couple hours. And I know it's done right too. Even in the winter I can pull my truck into the high bay and wash/wax it and leave it there till it's completely dry before pulling it out again.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 PM
VP64
Captain
Default dont forget your tire shine!

i like keeping my truck clean, especially since ive been having it during my hs years. and if you know hs then u know how everyone checks out peoples rides as they leave the parking lot.

so i began washing my truck about 3 times a week. now-a-days i just clean it once a week. I try to start my cleaning when the sun is setting so my driveway is in shade. I can knock out the whole process in average about an hour.

only concern i have with washing my truck so often is that i added a lot of stuff on my truck now and i dont want to ruin them or even break them by hand washing. I have a lot of little things that are tinted chrome but one thing for sure that gets a little duller after each wash are the parts that i sprayed paint over. thats why im repainting and retouching them up, but this time im going to use a clear coat, duh.

Last edited by VP64; 08-16-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: omg dont forget your tire shine

Quick Reply: How do you clean your trucks?