3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED Bulbs and HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive got pics of my HIDs in the link in my sig also. There are some with one side of the truck running 6k and the other side running halogens.

As for the LEDs, they are a direct swap and it doesnt matter what tail you run. You just take the old bulbs out and put the new ones in.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
TheBaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 8000k for heads and fogs from the vendor on here. I love the heads, they've got a real nice blue tint, but not enough to get pulled over for. However, the fogs which are also 8000k aren't quite as blue as the heads. It looks kinda silly to me as I've got nice bluish heads with pretty much straight white fogs. I'm thinking about just replacinjg the fogs bulbs to 10000k to try to match the blue-ness.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like 6000k may be what you want. I've got a set of 6000k HID's in our Accord and they sound just about like what you want. From a distance coming down the road they look blue. Up close they just look blueish white but not pure blue. I've got a set of 8000k HID's in the bike also but they are a bit more blue. Mine are not from the vendor here but 6000k should be 6000k as long as it's a true 6000k. I got mine from XenithXenons.com While they were great I think I'd go with DDMTuning if I ordered more as they are a ton cheaper and get great reviews.

As for the LED's if your hoping for more brightness I'd do some research. They don't seem to put out as much light in light housings as halogens do. I saw a good reference site with pictures comparing them but I can't remember the link. It was on a Honda forum I'm on. They may be brighter right there but didn't seem to put off near as much light as the stock oem tail light bulbs did. I will have to see if I can find a link.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I found a few threads talking about them but I can't find the one I remember seeing with the good pictures.

I'm not sure if the ones with LED's all around and on the top would be as bright as stock or not but my guess is not as none of the others seem to be. I've not read of many people being satisfied with LED's for brake lights.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:42 PM
albertadodge

Is it true that the HID's dont like being turned on and off?
Does the computer chip cancel out the day time running lights??
I know that was a problem with the older HIDs

Old 08-20-2009, 10:34 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by albertadodge
Is it true that the HID's dont like being turned on and off?
Does the computer chip cancel out the day time running lights??
I know that was a problem with the older HIDs
If they turn on and then off too much, you'll fry the ballast.
I don't know much about DRLs, but unless you have a Ram in Canada, you won't have to worry about that on our trucks in the US.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:01 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBaker
I bought the 8000k for heads and fogs from the vendor on here. I love the heads, they've got a real nice blue tint, but not enough to get pulled over for. However, the fogs which are also 8000k aren't quite as blue as the heads. It looks kinda silly to me as I've got nice bluish heads with pretty much straight white fogs. I'm thinking about just replacinjg the fogs bulbs to 10000k to try to match the blue-ness.
Hmm...this kind of concerns me, especially considering my fog lights are completely smoked out. They might need the 10k to accommodate the extra darkness to match the headlight. Sucks I just ordered both kits in the 8k. Anyway I can change the order while it's still fresh??

Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

I don't think that there will be any way to match your temp. of the headlights. The fogs will never match being that they are dimmer. Going 10000k might look even worse being that you will lose light from the higher temperature bulb. And 8000K shouldn't look white in anything. Each 8000K kit should be the exact same color. They are all the exact same bulb. The only difference is how they attach to the vehicle, and what kind of connector they use. As in a GM 9005 won't fit our 9006. The connection is different. So Baker, you mustn't really have 8000K if they don't match in color that well.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 AM
TheBaker
Professional

Well I know I definitely got 8000k in the fogs and heads, the heads like I said, are a noticable blue. But the fogs just seem pure white, even from a good distance. I'm probably going to order 10000k for the fogs and just change the bulbs and see how it looks. If it looks stupid, then o well I wasted 35 bucks and i'll put the 8000k back in. I parked right in front of my garage door and turned both of them on and between the heads and fogs is a distinctive line from bluish to pure white. I'll try to post pics soon.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Well, I found a few threads talking about them but I can't find the one I remember seeing with the good pictures.

I'm not sure if the ones with LED's all around and on the top would be as bright as stock or not but my guess is not as none of the others seem to be. I've not read of many people being satisfied with LED's for brake lights.
LEDs brightness are measured in MCD. I can take a pic of my tails with the lights off and another with them on if anyone wants to see how bright mine are.

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs and HIDs