3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give props to GM Vortecs. Seems like they've mastered the 4 speed automatic too, even though the rest of the automotive industry has moved on. I have a feeling a nicely hopped 5.3L and tight 4L60E could convince me to give up the stick shift in a truck. A GMT800 long bed regular cab, with the 'angry eyes', is a very handsome truck in any trim. Clean and straight.

Last edited by cramerica; 09-01-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

The SS should whoop you. Those trucks flat out move. Those engines were designed for horsepower and speed. However, a terrible response on GMs part to the Ford Lightning.
Anyone with a Hemi going stock for stock to an SS, I have a hard time believing the Hemi won.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain

I could believe it. I raced a chipped SS when I was only chipped with air intake (come to think of it I still basically am) and it was a decent race. He only beat me by MAYBE a truck length in a quarterish mile. Car and Driver did the comparison when the SS first came out against a regular cab hemi and the hemi won in just about every comparison.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:25 AM
RamIt33
Professional

Well MC35 the SS is rearwheel drive and it is stock other than the intake it has. My truck is SC with intake exahust with x pipe and a TBS. And you said your buddy won stock to stock but barley. Maybe i have a better chance

Okay guys i am going to get a hold of my buddy that knows who drives this SS and i am going to record it FOR SURE to see the out come. Personally from what i experienced for the lil while we messed around that truck aint got much more than mine.

Any preperations you guys may have for me before i do? Should i bet him any Cash on the race??? Remember where i live the Elevation is 6500 feet above see level so maybe that truck dosent perform as good as my Hemi does up here..

Could that be a plus for me??

Last edited by RamIt33; 09-02-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

My money's on the SS. Don't kill anybody racing around.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

With this said, even if an SS can win a race against a stock qc Hemi....I think the Ram 1500 is an all around more valuable truck. Think about, a ram 1500 with four doors, four wheel drive, and a hemi serves as a much better asset than a Silverado SS. Sure the SS will win, but while the SS is barely beating a Hemi which can actually be used as a truck and have room to play with performance vehicles, I just have a ton of admiration for the Ram with the Hemi. It's just more practical. I love having a TRUCK that is meant for work, but has the performance of many strictly performance labeled vehicles, you can't get better than that.

I think the SS looks great, but c'mon, imagine trying to load some cement bags in the back of that bed, the bed would be hitting tire within five bags..

Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 AM
dunerider650
Veteran

Those 6.0ls are VERY good motors and mod very well....get high hp numbers fast and very easily...also lighter and you can get the ss intimidator that is 2 wheel drive so its even lighter.....

Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Eaahhh... MY truck could own that one in the video! Lol!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
V10Venom
Captain

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
With this said, even if an SS can win a race against a stock qc Hemi....I think the Ram 1500 is an all around more valuable truck. Think about, a ram 1500 with four doors, four wheel drive, and a hemi serves as a much better asset than a Silverado SS. Sure the SS will win, but while the SS is barely beating a Hemi which can actually be used as a truck and have room to play with performance vehicles, I just have a ton of admiration for the Ram with the Hemi. It's just more practical. I love having a TRUCK that is meant for work, but has the performance of many strictly performance labeled vehicles, you can't get better than that.

I think the SS looks great, but c'mon, imagine trying to load some cement bags in the back of that bed, the bed would be hitting tire within five bags..
I agree, the hemi ram is more well rounded but why would the chevy squat like you say? Are they weaker suspensions in the SS? I highly doubt it. Maybe even stronger. I know before my overloads my truck fell on its *** with a trailer hooked up and my father in laws chevy rc/lb didn’t squat an inch. I still like chevy drivetrains, but like the look of dodges. I wish I could hook up a 6.1 hemi to a chevy transmission with a ford 9in rear end. That’d be rather sweet!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I'll put my money on the SS beating you by a full length give or take. The reason I say that is that I have raced my uncles SS quite a few times just to shut him up at family get-together's around the holidays:

His Stock Vs Mine Exhaust Only - his beat me every time by a full length, light to light.
His Stock Vs Mine Exhaust + CAI - Still beat me every time, not by as much though, light to light
His Stock Vs Mine Exhaust + CAI + Superchips Tuner + Sticky Tires - Neck and Neck race, He'd win some I'd win some, never by more than half a length either way light to light.
His Stock Vs Mine Exhaust + CAI + SC Tuner (w/ modified shift points) + Tires + 4.56 Gears - I'd take him by a full length or more every time light to light. This was the last setup I have ran against his.

These trucks suck as far as getting power to the ground, even with that last setup I raced him with, I was only putting 266hp/284tq to the wheels. Gears and the weight difference is what did it, he was running his truck hard (no sand bagging) and I cant see the SS putting down less than I was at that time.

Also.... Before you go out and spend some major $$$ on a new performance transmission, I would strongly suggest looking into a new torque converter. I can honestly say that it is the BEST mod I have done to date, it really woke the truck up, even more than the the gears did. I dont have a dyno result with it on but I will get one one of these days when I can go down there again, but my 0-60 times have been significantly lower than they were before I put it on. And you can really feel it on the butt dyno. It just drives so much better.

Quick Reply: Hemi vs SS