3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
Glad I got a Hemi then.

Did you get the truck from a dealer? They may work with you on the repair. But if you signed the as-is papers, they don't really have to.
Depending upon mileage, here in NY, purchases from the dealer are guaranteed for 30days minimum. The lower the mileage the longer you get. 90days maximum for any non-maintenance issue's.
If you lived in NY, that would be covered. However, they would actually only replace the bad side and not do both.

If your head is cracked or warped, plan on that $1400 figure going up quite a bit.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 AM
WWJD
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure hope this doesn't happen to me.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 AM
gmb4fords
Veteran

yea im in the same boat, i think my truck would have to sit for a while if that were the case... unless i could to a junkyard and find another one.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:15 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i hope i dont have this problem what can i do to prevent this from happening?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jusjay727
yeah i hope i dont have this problem what can i do to prevent this from happening?
Flush your coolant at 50kmi, change your oil regularly and then hope for the best!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Pay close attention to your cooling system. Keep all fluids topped off and replace the thermostat at or before 50k miles with a high quality replacement. I have two friends waiting on me to work on their trucks now because they overheated and blew head gaskets. One had a stuck thermostat, one just lost coolant and didnt realize it untill it was already hot.

When you replace the thermostat, make sure the bleed port on the stat is clocked to the 12 o'clock position. Open the bleed port on the housing where the upper hose goes into the front cover (hex plug, right where the hose attaches) This will ensure that no air gets trapped in the block!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 PM
countrygirl4X4

the warranty from the dealer doesn't cover a blown head gasket...

but there was obviously something the mechanic missed prior to my purchase that made it overheat- so they're saying they will 'do what they can' whatever that means- i'm staying on it though, trying to get them to help. they wanted me to have it fixed at their dealership. (a small used dealership) i told them no way, i dont want the same mechanics 'fixing' it that missed the problem to begin with. I had plenty of coolant, no water in my oil- so we're waiting to find out what made it overheat.

the shop that is fixing it said the 4.7s are well known for cracked heads when you blow a head gasket- and he said at that time i should possibly look into getting a new engine.

he quoted me at 1500-1700 a piece for the heads depending on what he could find.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:15 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

horsesapples i make sure my fluids are fresh im very **** at preventative maintenance i was getting ready to change my tstat and i was going to put a 180* stat in prolly from napa will that help i figure it will keep the temp down ....

Old 09-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Wow, rebuilt engine through Pep Boys is around 2300$ and comes with a warranty, they even warranty labor if its done by an ASE mechanic

Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jusjay727
horsesapples i make sure my fluids are fresh im very **** at preventative maintenance i was getting ready to change my tstat and i was going to put a 180* stat in prolly from napa will that help i figure it will keep the temp down ....
We are in the same boat weather wise, hot and humid. The additional heat down here seems to be rough on these engines, its hard to get parts for 4.7S here because there are so many with weeping head gaskets. Most I have dealt with are pulling water into the cylinder, most still have descent compression and dont mix water and oil, they just seem to burn water.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket