3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-Co...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Ra...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Da...Q5fAccessories

A used 4.7L engine can be had all day for $1500 with low mileage. Most of the accessories are included as well so there won't be much to transfer over. I would check AllData for complete engine swap times, but it has to be right around the same price as having your headgaskets replaced. The engine idea is the way to go if you had a bad head, but then you'll be $6-700 into labor before you even know. It's something your gonna have to think about before they get started.

The dealer says they will help you best they can???Yeah right. They are saying that so they can get the money for doing the work.
Another thing. You say the warranty doesn't cover a headgasket? What waranty do you actually have? The 30day thing like we get here in NY??? Just because you have a leak or problem with your headgasket doesn't mean the headgasket was the culprit. Does their warranty cover a cracked or warped cylinder head? If so, a cracked head would ruin the gasket. I'd be all over them to replace the issue.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:31 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Horseapples
We are in the same boat weather wise, hot and humid. The additional heat down here seems to be rough on these engines, its hard to get parts for 4.7S here because there are so many with weeping head gaskets. Most I have dealt with are pulling water into the cylinder, most still have descent compression and dont mix water and oil, they just seem to burn water.
well i dont have a problem yet but iwant to deter that prob i only have 61k on the ticker and dont want probs like that so i will soon be changing fluids and stat for the fear of something going bad....

Old 09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

http://www.lemonjustice.com/BuyerNotice.php

First things first. Find out what was promised and what was posted in the window.
Let us know so we can help you better.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jusjay727
well i dont have a problem yet but iwant to deter that prob i only have 61k on the ticker and dont want probs like that so i will soon be changing fluids and stat for the fear of something going bad....
A good electric fan is a good idea as well if you live in town, the clutch fans dont seem to pull enough air at idle to keep them cool in traffic.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
countrygirl4X4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my warranty was 30 day/1000 mile

it covered engine- internal lubricated parts
transmission- internal lubricated parts
and required all work to be done at their shop.

their mechanic will not touch my truck.
after saying it was good to go- and three weeks later this happens? nope.

i dont care what the warranty said- i'm still after them for helping me with at least a portion of the cost.

the guy that sold it to me is also a personal friend, so he's talking to the manager, owner, and mechanic to see what can be done.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Take the rebuilt engine route if the heads are cracked, as stated above, many can be had for a reasonable cost with warranty.
Hopefully the dealer will help you out somewhat.
Please keep us posted as to how you make out.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
countrygirl4X4

we had some really bad flooding here on the coast not too long ago- so the shop is swamped with work- they still won't get to it for another week- and IF its just the head gasket issue he said another week to get everything done.

i miss my baby

Old 09-06-2009, 03:47 PM
bolang
Professional

When it's time to replace t-stats get a fail safe.If it fails it sticks open and not closed.Worth the 3 to 5 extra dollars.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by countrygirl4X4
my warranty was 30 day/1000 mile

it covered engine- internal lubricated parts
transmission- internal lubricated parts
and required all work to be done at their shop.

their mechanic will not touch my truck.
after saying it was good to go- and three weeks later this happens? nope.

i dont care what the warranty said- i'm still after them for helping me with at least a portion of the cost.

the guy that sold it to me is also a personal friend, so he's talking to the manager, owner, and mechanic to see what can be done.
So, that means if your head is cracked, then they have to pay the entire repair bill!!! FYI.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:07 PM
matty_p
Professional

If your heads are cracked, I have a set I would be willing to part with. Was planning on having them re-done and putting them in my truck, but I have a baby on the way and all modsare currentlyon hold by orderof the WIFE!!! Still ale to do the small things I want to do. Let me know. They are off of a 2002 dakota with about 60,000 on them. Never been checked over, but my buddy gave them to me when he pulled the motor and put a 360 in.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket