3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Keyless entry remote program?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:30 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keyless entry remote program?

I bought a 05 ram and it came with only 1 key so i had 2 more made at walmart and they work fine.now my ram has only 1 lock or key slot on the drivers side door only so i bought 2 remotes off ebay so i could have keyless entry.i currently do not have a working remote so does anyone know how i can program the 2 remotes i bought? I tried to google it but none of the methods worked so does that mean i have to bring it to the dealer?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Ram4wd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say that you had two keys made that work. Are you saying that they will start and run the vehicle? That surprises me; I have a 2006 and a cut key will start my truck it will run for a few seconds and then shut-off as the key does not hold the computer info nevessary.

The first thing to make sure of is that you got the correct remotes off ebay AND that they have never been programmed. You can not re-program the remotes.

A dealer is probably your best bet, but some locksmiths can program these keys as well. Of course if they screw it up; well probably too bad; I don't know.

To program a key yourself, I believe you have to have two already programmed keys. It may even be that the two keys not only have to be programmed, but also original keys. There are some constraints on all of this.

Good luck

Old 09-06-2009, 11:50 PM
countrygirl4X4

i'm curious about the same thing- i too only received one key- and only have one key slot on the drivers side. call me lazy- but its a pain in the butt.

i was told to take my truck to a dealer and they can order the right key/entry remote according to my vin number. (of course, i have now learned not to trust this dealership farther than i can throw them, so they may be wrong, i have yet to have checked this out)

Old 09-07-2009, 07:08 AM
JOHNSN10
Captain

My 05 ram does not have a chip in the key and yes my walmart keys work fine in the truck and it doesnt shut down or anything when i start driving

Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Normally, you need a working remote in order to add a remote. A dealer will need to program one of the remotes so you can program the other one. I don't know if a locksmith who sells transponders can help, but it's worth a shot.

You can reprogram the remotes -- you're programming the truck, not the remotes. I have two remotes I bought off eBay and they work fine.

Aftermarket cheap keys don't work if the truck has a security system. The key needs a chip the computer recognizes, or the key doesn't work properly.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNSN10
My 05 ram does not have a chip in the key and yes my walmart keys work fine in the truck and it doesnt shut down or anything when i start driving

2005 all have Sentry II. which eans a chip inside the key. Even prior years before 2003 have Sentry I that have a chip in the key. Newer factory Sentry II keys are gray colored and Sentry I keys are black clolored. Now, I'm talking just the key itself and not any fobs seprate or attached to the key itself.

In order to program ANY key, you must already have 2 Original programmed keys. If you don't have 2 programmed keys, then you need to go to the dealership. If you have 1 programmed key, I think a locksmith can help you out as they have a hand held device that allows them to program additional keys, but generally you must buy the keys from them for a free programming.

Ram4wd, yes you can re-program already programmed keys. I could sel u my fobbs as long as the serial numbers mach and you could get them programmed. i dunno why you think otherwise???

Old 09-07-2009, 01:58 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, the truck learns the key, you could actually program the remote part of the key to work on multiple Dodges, they just wouldn't start them.
I have bout 3 of the non-remote chipped keys from a seller on Ebay, had them cut at Walmart and programmed them. I have one for each of my 3 Dodges so that if I lose one of my remote keys, I can buy a replacement and still have 2 working chipped keys so that I can reprogram the replacement, myself, without paying a dealer to do it.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:16 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

All i got was 1 key from the dealer. I went to walmart and had 2 keys made (no chip inside) i used the blank $1.99 keys that walmart sells and they both work in my truck.i can start it and drive around all i want and it works fine.i use those walmart keys all the time for my truck. Now i need to get these fobs to work but i dont have a working one so i guess i have to go to the dealer.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNSN10
All i got was 1 key from the dealer. I went to walmart and had 2 keys made (no chip inside) i used the blank $1.99 keys that walmart sells and they both work in my truck.i can start it and drive around all i want and it works fine.i use those walmart keys all the time for my truck. Now i need to get these fobs to work but i dont have a working one so i guess i have to go to the dealer.
Sounds like someone disabled the Sentry theft system using a starscan tool. Just make sure the dealer doesn't turn it back on per say when they program your fobbbs for you. The fobbs should be easily programmed if your keys are working. It's the keys that you need to go to the dealer to have programmed(or atleast the rest of us do)

I was able to turn Ford's PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) off in my Mustang with a custom tune, so Sentry should be able to be turned off as well but with using a starscan tool. That is my only guess to why your not having any problems.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
countrygirl4X4

i only got one key as well- with no chip.

unless they began putting chips in the solid metal keys, lol.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry remote program?