3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhead Console Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 12:37 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Overhead Console Install

I was a little worried about the outside temp readout too but apparently the sensor is already on the truck because that works just fine. And my maplights work great and OH WHAT A NICE FEATURE. Removing the entire headliner requires nothing more than a 10mm socket, wrench or driver, a torx screwdriver(not sure which size now), and a little patience. The a-pillars are held on with 2 10mm bolts located inside the grab handles then just yank and the clips will release, the visors are held on with 3 torx screws each, again just pull down once those are removed, then the hooks front and rear are kinda 2 part, you can see the seam in them and if you pull on the back/lower part it will seperate and acts like a push lock, once you get it all the way down then just pull them out (the backs are MUCH easier than the fronts. then the headliner just pulls out, remember to unplug the dome light which can come out with the headliner, and watch the 3rd brake light plug as it is also attached to the headliner. It really was an easy install, hardest part was cutting the headliner to the right size since I didn't have a template.

Dodge is great about making these rigs easy to upgrade people. DON'T be afraid to work on the truck!!!!

Old 04-22-2005, 03:26 AM
BlueDodge
Rookie

Well got my Service manual in...now I just need to understand the wire scemes hehe.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:25 AM
RebelRam04
Rookie

OK here are the pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/14287/F75FE5D2D24546DFA6FDBA6F2A48547F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14287/CEA7527C915545AB8726383337C51B00.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14287/AB17686D80584C81B178267BB5770E6B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14287/E3CDD93306E8432EAF7C4C6E0B3BBBC4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2005, 04:46 AM
cjmrdc
Rookie

Rebel, that's neat to hear about. I was wanting to do a push-button ignition, but (maybe stupidly), i kind of want to lose the key. I'd rather my system not let the car start unless the fob was used to open the doors, that way - fob the doors open, hop in, push button start - no key, just a fob. The only problem i've thought of is having to get the ignition to the on and off positions, i've pondered just hooking up a toggle out of site under the dash. that way, just reach under, flip the ignition to on and push the button (which I'd like to mount where the key currently goes), get tow here you're going, flip the toggle off, hop out - and lock the doors, and even if someoen broke in - unless they knew where the toggle was, they could push the ignition button all day with no luck.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:01 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie

that is doable if you use a starter kill type of alarm or keyless entry system. The wiring shouldn't be that difficult as long as dodge doesn't use a transponder key system which I'm not sure if they do or not.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:28 AM
BlueDodge
Rookie

Hey Rebel I got a problem.
I got one of the crimestopper alarm/keyless entry systems and some 2 wire lock actuators, but I just can't figure out how to wire the two together. I would like it to work the way yours does with both doors unlocking together with just one push of the button. Thanks

Nice work on the overhead.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:17 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie

I'm using a crimestopper actually. it's easy, just hook one wire of both actuators to the lock wire and the other wire of both actuators to the unlock wire from the system. Which wire is which will depend on your actuators so you might have to reverse them after you check it but that is all you have to do, just link the wires from the 2 actuators together. rememeber to attach like colors though

Old 05-16-2005, 01:42 PM
BlueDodge
Rookie

sweet thanks Rebel

Old 05-22-2005, 11:59 PM
zealous

I installed the overhead console on my 2003 Ram 1500 stx after reading about your success. However, I still have two issues.

1. The overhead map lights do not operate independently form the dome light. I can switch them off, but they only operate when the dome light is on. I studied the wiring schematic for hours and everything looks right. Any ideas?

2. The harness was missing the purple/red wire which is the wire that turns the overhead on. I have it temporarily wired on all the time. What did you connect this wire to?

Thanks in advance.

whiteram

Old 05-23-2005, 02:46 AM
RebelRam04
Rookie

Ok I'll have to check my diagrams again for the computer on wire (switched power) but for the map lights I had the same issue and found it easiest just to wire both power wires for it to the constant power wire I ran to the overhead. The domelight controller wire is doing wierd stuff to the maplights so I just hard wired them so they work no matter what, you will have to watch that you turn them off though since they won't have the auto off feature anymore. I will get back to you ASAP on the switched power wire thing.

Also on my 4.7 the overhead continues to misread the MPG but the dealer said it would be simple for them to recalibrate it, I think this is simply because it is out of a Hemi or 5.9 truck and mine is a 4.7 ofcourse.

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Install