3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear axle

ok, my father has a 05 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7 4X4... he has to get the reae axle rebuilt, and he asked me to ask you guys, how can he find out if he has a limited slip rear, open carrier or what does he have...

anyone can help me?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:21 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

request a build sheet from the dealership. i got mine through a member here by the name of Parts and Service. or you can just do a burnout, see if it leaves 2 marks or 1. or jack up the rear of the truck, spin one tire by hand, and see if the other spins with it.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the cover off

Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

both good ideas but oldirty's way is more fun

Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok well he doesnt do very crazy **** with his truck.. it brakes doing that stuff.. but it is what i would do... and as for the build sheets... is that like something free? i know i can go to the stealership and give the vin to get that... but if i pull the cover, how can i tell?

i think i may just have him jack the truck, turn the wheel foward, and the other wheel should turn foward too right? would the driveshaft/ drivetrain stop the other tire from turning, and then make it turn the other way? or am i wrong again?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:14 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok well he doesnt do very crazy **** with his truck.. it brakes doing that stuff.. but it is what i would do... and as for the build sheets... is that like something free? i know i can go to the stealership and give the vin to get that... but if i pull the cover, how can i tell?

i think i may just have him jack the truck, turn the wheel foward, and the other wheel should turn foward too right? would the driveshaft/ drivetrain stop the other tire from turning, and then make it turn the other way? or am i wrong again?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ramhunter9
both good ideas but oldirty's way is more fun
I know, but with the OP saying the rear had to be rebuilt, I just figured it wasn't driveable.

Jack the entire rear end up, leaving the truck in park. Try to spin a wheel. If it spins, and the other wheel spins oposite, it's a reg diff. If it doesn't want to move, it's a LSD.

Last edited by Mega-Hemi; 09-16-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Or you can jack up one side with the trans in N. Try to spin the wheel. If it and the driveshaft spins, its a reg diff. If it doesn't want to move, its a LSD.

Quick Reply: rear axle