3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are ported throttle bodies worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
moe's and fastman do NOT increase the diameter at the plate. it is tapered down at the plate, and opens back up towards the other end.

the benefit it will give you is that you get more flow right when the plate starts to open.

What I have been saying from the get-go.

Last edited by dirtydog; 09-21-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:16 PM
RubberFrog
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, opinions are great and bench racing is full of them....

If the bernoulli effect is BS, why does nasa use it to design the shape of rocket thrusters? Why don't they just make them all straight?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

I didn't say the bernoulli affect is crap (carburetors wouldn't work without it), I said 'increasing flow due to the Bernoulli affect is crap'.

having a venturi does not increase the volume of air. it increases the velocity. Now if you were to increase the diameter over a longer length, then yes you have decreased restriction. but over the few inches of length that a TB is, the actual increase in diameter isnt doing much to reduce restriction.

that being said, I think a throttle body is still a good mod for him. hell, I suggested it to him. taking out half of the bar will give you some top end, and the fastman is obviously smoother, which will help cut down restriction also.

btw, the rockets on a space shuttle are BIGGER on the open side, so if what you are saying is true they would RESTRICT flow, not help it.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

I agree with you. But I've gotta comment on the rocket.... My TB is bigger on both ends...

Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

You sure about that? The fastman site says he bores them all the way through for a true bore, not one that tapers in the middle by the blade.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I agree with you. But I've gotta comment on the rocket.... My TB is bigger on both ends...
so why did you bring up the rocket

I could have sworn someone on here that got the fastman wrote a review and said it was tapered. If i'm wrong and it is all the way through, I think it's a no brainer for your truck.

going to a 85mm TB over a 80mm (stock is 80 right?) gives you a 13% bump in flow right off the bat,
+ whatever you get from removing one side of the bar,
+ whatever you get from reducing restriction along the outer wall because its smoother.
having dumped a grand or so on your exhaust, a 15% increase in flow on the intake side for $300, IMO, is well worth your money.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:55 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

So I just got an email back from them.

Hello Ryan I do modify the Hemi TB's. I Front Side Taper Bore and Half the Shaft. I can also Knife Edge the Blade but that can cause a code because it really increases the sensitivity. No reason I can explain. It works for most andnot for some. If you want the knife edge and it does not work I can returnit to a stock flat blade. That is the only issue I have had in my effortsto make the best TB I can. If interested the price is $125.00 plus $12 shipping. I can modify yourexisting TB or get a brand new one from Dodge for $100.I will be heading out of town late week so the sooner I know the betteralso. Feel free to call my Cell or order online using any order form andput 5.7 Hemi in the comments area.I look forward to helping you meet your performance needs.
Thank you Dan Arcand
So from his email:

1) The kinfe edge does not work with everyones TB and can throw codes for one reason or another. Does anyone know how much it increases the sensativity of the throttle over one that does not have the knife edge?

2) From the sounds of it, I have to either send him my core (which unfortunately I cannot have my truck down for that long) or I have to get one from the dealer for $100 and send it to him. Are TB's really only $100 from the dealer? Also doesn't sound like there is a core charge either since he cant do one without me sending him one.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by truckin151
You sure about that? The fastman site says he bores them all the way through for a true bore, not one that tapers in the middle by the blade.
Maybe for the 4.7 stuff.

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
so why did you bring up the rocket
I don't get the question. Is there something in the bernoulli principle that only applies to the vacumn side?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:21 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If the blade area doesn't change, you will increase velocity, not cfm. Same amout of air, just moving faster.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

i tried reading this and all i remember is nasa made the rockets go faster...

did we come to an agreement on anything? lol

Quick Reply: Are ported throttle bodies worth it?