3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to Prevent being Towed

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Prevent being Towed

Okay, well its beginning to be quite an issue around here. Predatory towing. If you don't have a parking sticker in the wrong apartment complex, you lose $250 in a few minutes...rediculous

Do any of you have any ways to prevent this? I heard there are none, and figured there has to be something being that we have huge heavy trucks?

And no a holes that say " dont park in an illegal spot", you dont always know its illegal

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM
sos
All Star

Well you can do things like turn your wheels all the way to the right or left and pull into the spot nose first. This makes it very difficult for them to pull the truck out in the first place without risking your truck hitting the car parked next to you, and requires them to use a flat bed truck or dollies... They might not be willing to do all that work when there's an easier target. Of course this won't completely prevent it because there are ways around that, but it's a bit of a deterrent.

Or if you have connections, you could always get a boot and put it on your truck when you park.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:55 AM
motorhead426
All Star

Thats funny! Put a boot on the wheel so they 'don't' tow you. I would have never thought of that.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM
VP64
Captain

reverse park and put your handbrake on

Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

1. Bag your truck so it sits on the ground when parked
2. Lift your truck high and put massive tires so it will be hard to tow/boot
3. Park in 4wd?
4. Run a chain through your wheels so they won't spin.
5. Use common sense and don't park where you know you're not supposed to. That's like going into someones back yard that has 5 pissed off pit bulls AFTER passing a sign on the fence that says "beware of dog"

Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Matt99
Champion

Well in Baton Rouge after a LSU game, I got towed twice in one night. Over $500 in charges. I swear, I parked in a spot I thought was OK and everyone else was parking in, walked up to the bar, walked in, saw that it was way too full, and by the time I turned around and walked back out my truck was gone. That is what they call Predatory Towing.

Its ridiculous, there is no parking and the towing yard is full all night long. I guess thats their money night

Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Dont know if it would work at night in a popular bar/club area but if you take a few orange construction cones and put them behind or in front of your vehicle and put a light bar on top of your truck (make it look like you are working) they cant tow it, or at least it'll deter them from towing it for a little while. Now if they do tow it, and you were not doing any "work", you're pretty much SOL.

Since I use my truck for work sometimes and there is no buisness logo or anything on it I have to do the cone thing when I go out into the field. Most security guards and tow truck drives just drive by and leave me alone. Every so often I get asked what I am doing or if I absolutely cannot park there they find me and let me know I need to move.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankfully this type of towing is illegal in GA. The law actually specifies that no towing can be "automatic". Someone must call for each vehicle they wish to have towed. The company cannot cruise the lot looking for cars to tow.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that happens here alot also.usually by the one scummmy scam of a towing company we got here.the others are o.k. I think pretty sure what you do, they've seen it and. there gonna tow it no matter what you do.unless you drive a tank.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

I was scared this crap would happen to me yesterday, I had to setup an internet connection for an older lady in town and I had to park in the residents section of her apartment building. I got out and this older guy looked at me like wtf are you doing parked there. I started thinking of ways to keep from being towed. I thought of the 4 wheel idea (if i had 4x4) I also thought of the e-brake but I'm pretty sure that only locks up the rear wheels. If there had been more cars in the lot I could have just turned the wheels but I always park in the middle of nowhere to avoid door dings and such. Thank god it was still there when I got done though.

Quick Reply: How to Prevent being Towed