3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:38 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that we drive TRUCKS, not race cars. If you want a really fast truck, you are going to spend serious bucks. Putting on a CAI and new muffler realistically will get you 10-15 horsepower. Unless you are willing to go big and get internal on the engine, it ain't gonna happen.

I did a CAI and muffler simply in the hopes of getting a little bit better mpg (once again, a truck not a Prius!) and I want the engine to run better. Sounding better does not hurt, either.

I used to laugh my a$$ off when I had my Vette at the teens that had Mustang GTs with flowmasters on them. You would think that they added 50hp just by adding mufflers. They always wanted to race me and I would always oblige them by whipping their tails. Ah, I miss those days.....

Old 10-08-2009, 03:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08RamMan

I used to laugh my a$$ off when I had my Vette at the teens that had Mustang GTs with flowmasters on them. You would think that they added 50hp just by adding mufflers. They always wanted to race me and I would always oblige them by whipping their tails. Ah, I miss those days.....
Well, i didn't have dronemasters. I had Magnaflows on my 97 mustang and i would have demolished your vette and wiped that smile off of your face...lol
I never provoked a race, but had many vettes/camaro/TA's think they would just tear me a new one. I even smoked the 07/08's.

....but....I wasn't anything close to stock....lol

Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

After re-reading my post, I do sound a bit preachy....

someone earlier said they were power hungry but didn't want to spend money on a s/c.........well guess what? If you are power hungry, you bought the wrong vehicle! LOL

Keep in mind that the Hemi might make 345hp and 390hp in the new ones, but it is still powering a 5-6K pound vehicle. New Corvettes have 430hp and weigh about 3200 lbs. Do the math.....

Old 10-08-2009, 03:56 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Well, i didn't have dronemasters. I had Magnaflows on my 97 mustang and i would have demolished your vette and wiped that smile off of your face...lol
I never provoked a race, but had many vettes/camaro/TA's think they would just tear me a new one. I even smoked the 07/08's.

....but....I wasn't anything close to stock....lol
LOL

I was not close to stock either. I was pulling 4th gear chirps with freakin' drag radials on....kind of cool....best pull was 12.90 in the 1/4....
then Houston Raceway Park said if you broke into the twelves, you needed a roll cage. But that was way back in 1995!

But I was mainly referring to the little punks that only had Blowmasters and thought they could whip anything on the road!

And the point is not to hijack the thread, but paying that much for a manifold will only net you a few horses....you need to go full throttle to benefit.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:19 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08RamMan

Keep in mind that the Hemi might make 345hp and 390hp in the new ones, but it is still powering a 5-6K pound vehicle. New Corvettes have 430hp and weigh about 3200 lbs. Do the math.....
The difference here is that the Rams have terrible drivetrain loss and get them about 250rwhp if your lucky. Flywheel HP means nothing. What matters is how much power is at the rear wheels. Drivetrain loss is huge from one vehicle to the next, so realistically you cannot compare engine outputs at all.
For ex. the Tundra's have only 20% drivetrain loss. Just because their engine output may be the same as the 09's, they are generating more power at the wheels than the Rams.
I'm not a tundra fan at all, just using the drastic differences in comparison. BTW, Truckin did their review of the Tundra nd did some Ram comaprisons. HERE i think most will like what they read....reassurance...lol

Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Good read.....

Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Two things about that intake.

(1) It clearly states that the adapter for the TB puts in tin the stock location. Well, this is true if you own an 09. My TB is over 1/2 back on the manifiold so this is wrong.

(2) it has short runners for no torque, would work good on a Challenger perhaps with a high revving 6.1L. It would also work ok if you have forced induction such as a blower or turbocharger.

(3) It does look cool as hell. Much like the Ford Sullivan intakes.

I'd love to have the T/A Challenger for sale there, though!!

Last edited by lxman1; 10-08-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
Two things about that intake.

(1) It clearly states that the adapter for the TB puts in tin the stock location. Well, this is true if you own an 09. My TB is over 1/2 back on the manifiold so this is wrong.

(2) it has short runners for no torque, would work good on a Challenger perhaps with a high revving 6.1L. It would also work ok if you have forced induction such as a blower or turbocharger.

(3) It does look cool as hell. Much like the Ford Sullivan intakes.

I'd love to have the T/A Challenger for sale there, though!!
1) Wrong. It states that 09's are still in R&D. 09 TB is at the front and points straight up. Prior to 09, it puts the TB at the location FOR THE INPUT ON THE SILENCER (the hat). Gotta watch the video. If you look at a stock hemi top, where the air inlet on the hat is where the TB ends up on that manifold.

2) Yup, but would be a good choice for a forced induction setup.

3) True

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 10-08-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u want a race machine buy a srt 10
this guy kills everybody. check out his other videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1z8lAeiw9c

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08