3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Dodge Ram, 9" Lift: Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
rydesolow
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Dodge Ram, 9" Lift: Questions

Hey, I posted here a while back getting opinions on lifting my 02 dodge ram 1500 SLT Plus 4x4 5.9 9". It was 6" fabtech, and 3" body lift. Anyway, I have her lifted 9" now, but still have the factory rubbers on it. I'll be putting on 37x12.50R17's soon. I have a few questions, though:

What is the front axle called in this damn truck? It has IFS, and I want to put 488's in the front and rear. I know the rear is a Chrysler 9.25, but what is the one in front? How hard is it to do the gears?

Second, I have ye old 360 on an auto trans... Desperately lacking power. What are the best mods to get some more grunt out of this good ol motor? I had a 98 ram sport 1500, same motor, and it felt like it had more *****. It would rev to 6-7k rpm. The "newer" motor in my 02, same damn motor, and it feels a lot less beefy. Was this because my 98 sport had 373's and this 02 has 355's? Input would be appreciated!

Third, the overhead console with the computer doesn't turn on. It was odd, because last summer, when the days were about 95 out, the overhead would turn on and work perfectly! Showed MPG, trip, maint, compass, temp, etc. But it only did it a few times. Think it is just a loose connection up there? Any ideas how to safely remove and diagnose?

And last of all, the heated seats don't work. I hit the button to turn them on, light is solid for a minute, but then flashes and shuts off. Relay? I have no idea on this one.

Thanks for all the help friends!

Oh yeah, here is my truck with the factory baby tires on 9" of lift: (sorry for bad iphone quality)

Last edited by rydesolow; 10-07-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a picture that we could use for reference, If you don't mind would it be okay if I copied and saved it?

I dont believe that the 4x4's can do 4.88. Only 4.56,I might be wrong.

Check your over head console's fuse. Mine has a bad tendency to blow.

If you are looking for some more power I would look at the Superchips 3815 route, alot of people are selling them for pennies on the dollar right now because the newest technology is out for their trucks. But wont be addressed in your motor. But if you plan on getting a cam in the future you might as well buy SCT. Right now it is 375 for the tuner and a life time of free custom tunes. I can give you a link and a name for that if you are interested.

Also headers help low end, and switching to an E-fan will free up some 10-15 hp. Also working on exhaust and CAI will help it breath better and get better mpg/hp.

I think that will give you enough things to think about for now. Welcome!!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

wow, def get new rubbers.
OE is correct, can't do 4.88s in the front, 4.56 max.
SC 3815 makes a BIG difference on your engine. pick up a used one (unlocked of course) and it will by far be the best hp/$.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Id would like to know how high the middle of your frame if off the ground. I wanna do a BL too but got a few other things holding me back

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

The 02 5.9 may have death flash on it, I dont think mine has it, but I also think one of the previous owners had a superchips on it. But it was something that the dodge dealerships did to all the 99 to 01's and I would bet they did it to the 02's also since it is the same engine... A superchips or an SCT will make an enormous difference in your truck, it will be like night and day. The other guys who have them and have seen differences will have nothing on the change that it makes in your truck if Im correct. And another reason is probably because of your gears, I have the 3.92's and I love them.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
motorhead426
All Star

Wow! I've never seen a 9" lift on a 3rd gen 1500. Can't wait to see it with the new tires on it. Make sure you post of some up close pics.

I agree with most of these guys on the performance mods. I have a SC3815 that I'm selling. I'm not completeky sure if it'll hook up to your truck though. You might want to do some researching. I had it on my 2005 Hemi, and then my buddies 2003 Hemi (for a week). I it's unlocked for sure. Just not sure about the non-Hemi application. Anyone have a comment on this?

The 4.56 gears will be the most beneficial to you. I had 3.55's for a few days before I installed my 4.56's (with 35x13.5R18 tires) and the transmission couldn't hold 60MPH without downshifting all the time.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 AM
rydesolow
Veteran

You guys are awesome! Great information so far!!! As regards to the picture, sure you can save and use it, doesn't bother me at all. I have a few more if you'd like me to post them up. And I will def take pictures with the new rubbers on her when I get them.

It looks like I am going to get that SC 3815. "Deathflash" sounds exactly what they might of done.. On my crossmember in front of my engine, there is a dealer sticker that reads "PCM Flash" or some nonsense like that.. Hmmmm... I wonder.. :X :X :X

Also, I will go with 4:56's front and rear then. How much does this install usually cost?

BTW, awesome looking Ram's. I will also go measure the ground to the middle of my frame if you'd like, but remember, I have baby factory tires on her right now. Their only like 28" tall, lol. So naturally, the frame will be lower to the ground then if I had the 37's on it. But you could calculate the dif.. 28" tire -> 37" tire = 9" difference, divided in half because a tire is a circle. So we will have to add 4.5" to our final measurement, or however you want to use that measure for.

Anyway, I'll post up again soon!.. I'm going to go check my fuse.. Lol..

Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM
rydesolow
Veteran

OH! And I looked up SC 3815, it works with those hemi's and 98-02 360's 5.9L's!! Cheers! How much are you selling yours for? I'll take it, if the price is right!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Prolly a nooby question but what's the death flash? O and if the OP doesn't buy your SC I might be interested if there is a night and day difference.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

Death flash... I'm "guessing" it's when the dealer reprograms the PCM. It's written they did it, shortly after my truck was manufactured. Runs like a damn 4-cyl. SC 3815 claims about 50 horsepower, and 50lbs torque on the 5.9L.

Quick Reply: 02 Dodge Ram, 9" Lift: Questions