3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd question regarding lifting the rear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Add-a-leafs are what I am going to look at soon.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but dont they make the ride without load less stable?

Old 10-12-2009, 02:26 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the bags man they give a way better ride and are adjustible

Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchy
but dont they make the ride without load less stable?
Yeah, the ride with no weight in the back tends to be bouncy with "add-a-leafs", bags are the way to go.
I was mainly just saying before that blocks can cause axle wrap if you load up your bed so I'd stay closer to 1" blocks than 2"...

Old 10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly is axle wrap?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

Axle wrap as per Arizona Driveline:
Axle wrap is the rotation of an axle opposite the circular torque created by acceleration. Axle wrap is normally a vehicles problem caused by soft or worn out springs. Axle wrap is one of the major drive shaft breakage problems in lifted vehicles and can be cured usually by ladder bars or traction bars that prevent the axle from rotating. If the axle rotates too much, the pinion yoke and the drive shaft yoke will hit and pry themselves out of position. That is when people say, "I keep throwing u-joints." People say the same thing when the U-bolts are over-torqued.

Axle wrap in the rear is up. This means that when you accelerate the differential tends to twist upward. Most lifts come with shim blocks that twist the pinion up in order to reduce angles. However, the provided shim block does not solve all angle problems. You must know and adhere to the rules for using two u-joints drive shafts or three u-joint drive shafts. A two u-joint drive shaft: the angle at the top is equal to the bottom within 1-2 degrees. Three u-joint drive shaft: (One with a CV) All the angle at the top, and the angle at the rear u-joint is within 3 degrees of zero. In other words, the drive shaft is a straight line with the pinion within 3 degrees.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

I have rear add-a-leafs and 1" billet blocks on the back of my 1500 and I have the Firestone Ride-Rite bags. The base plate mounts on the axle and the upper bracket bolts in place of the upper bump stop, after the lift the airbag was about 4-5 inches short of fitting. I found a company called EZ-Ride that makes airbag spacers from 2"-6", in tapered and non-tapered set ups. You're supposed to order the spacer that is equivelant to your lift, but I set the bag in place first and measured it to see how big of a spacer I needed. The Firestone airbag kit is universal 2wd/4wd, so I think that's why I needed a 5" spacer. The main reason I installed the airbags was because I have a RCSB and I was getting A LOT of wheel hop after the add-a-leaf, and it helped immensely with that. Good luck with everything

Old 10-13-2009, 12:28 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Personally, I added an add a leaf and have had great luck with it thus far. My truck rides quite smooth in my opinion, with the shocks that josh sold me. I never hit the gas on my truck either though, I am very smooth on my throttle, and my rpms are always relatively low... I baby my truck... I have a superlift 2.5 inch add-a-leaf, and a 2.5 inch leveler kit on the front, all around I am really happy with my truck! I would bet that if you have a half ton and you want to lift it a little, like just between and inch and 2 inches, then just get a set of airbags for a 3/4 ton dodge.

Quick Reply: Odd question regarding lifting the rear.