3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chains

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:42 PM
pcollins
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chains

Guys,

Looking to get some chains for my 2wd for the upcoming winter, just in case. I have been looking around but am unsure which are the best to get. I have Cooper Zeon ltz's 275/60R20.

For example, out of these: http://tirechain.com/275-60R-20.htm , which would you say are the "best"?

Also, as someone who has never used chains before, when are they needed for use? If I live in the Denver metro area and want to go skiing up in the mountains, do I put the chains on straight from my house for the full 2 hour drive? Or do I pull over somewhere along the way once it gets hairy and then put them on?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to this winter business

Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

never used chains before but those diamond heavy duty reinforced look like they would work but that might even be overkill

Old 10-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Ram4wd
Rookie

pcollins,

About chains, let me take a stab at it. I live in Oregon and depending on where you are in the state you can have a pretty real winter, or next to nothing at all. I drive a Ram 1500 RCLB 4x4. Last Year I bought chains at a Les Schwab outlet and they recommended, for my truck, the Heavy Duty cam lock chains. These are more tedious to put on and take off as you have extra chain links you will need to tie, or cut, off. If you don't they will destroy your wheel well. I learned that one the hardway - fortunately it was on a Chevy 1/2 ton!

In my job I drive a 7 ton bus, 24 feet long with rear duals. We used to use cable chains on these, but the tires are pretty much a lame street tread and in a bad situation, the tires would just turn inside the cable chains. Also, since these buses are driven by a Ford Power Stroke we also broke a lot of them.

The past couple of years we have gone to the "quick" install diamond pattern chains as shown in the upper left most photo on your included link. These work much better, offer significantly better traction, but are still relatively easily broken by our buses. Knowing this I asked about these type chains for my truck, rear only, and was told they did not recommend them and so went with the heavier chains as described above. Last year we had a very heavy snowfall winter and for 10 days in a row we had over 12" of snow on the ground and roads. I chained up and ran that way the entire 10 days of the storm. No problem.

Some of the pickup drivers where I work came in with nothing on running only A/T type tires; BFG and Michelan mostly. Where I lived was never plowed and with the chains I felt I had better stopping power; especially once the roads became more icy rather than just snowy.

Now, to a more direct answer to your question. First off check with your state transportation dept. Oregon has a whole lot of info on their web site. Also, in oregon 4wd vehicles are not generally required to chain up; even when chain laws go into effect unless specifically indicated. They only went to that level for a few hours twice this past winter. The standing requirement on 4wd vehicles is that they have "traction" tires installed, however.

I would suspect that since your truck is only 2wd, you are going to be subject to any and all instances of required chaining. You might check with some of the other people here, or a trusted tire dealer in your area. However, depending on the situation overall, you might do just fine with one of the "quick" install, diamond pattern chain brands. As I said that we run them on 7 ton vehicles, and you weight in at only about 3 tons; give or take. The real advantage to these are that you can readily put them on or take them off as road conditions change; without having to raise the vehicle.

One issue you may face, in snowy conditions, will be the general lack of weight over your rear tires. Many people add sand bags to aid in traction in inclement conditions. Again, others here will probably offer ideas in this arena as well.

Hope this helps

Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Ram,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give your input. I appreciate it. I forgot to mention in my original post that I will have upwards of 400 lbs in the bed during winter, so the weight shouldnt be an issue.

Good call with the transportation department, I will give that a look to see if there is any info available.

I was really interested in people's advice about which style of chain to get. I have been leaning towards those diamond shaped chains, but am unsure, as you said, to go with the regulars or Heavy Duty type. I DO NOT want to bust up my wheel well, haha. I am curious if I will have the clearance in there to run the Heavy Duty's. And, last but not least, something easy to put on and take off is a definite plus!

Also, should I be getting chains for all 4 tires? Just the rears? Just the fronts?

Ahh the decisions,

Thanks for your input

Last edited by pcollins; 10-02-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

It snows in Arizona?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
It snows in Arizona?
Actually, yeah it does. But I have moved to Denver.... time to update the info i guess

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say studded snows would be a better way to go. Especially if it's just for a weekend trip and your not up there day in/out.
Michelin makes an awesome non studded snow tire call X-ice/2 but they are very pricey.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i can remember right colorado has chain stations along side of the highways for when they require chains and when they dont because big rigs have to pull over and put chains on and take them off so you could do it there or at your house shouldnt hurt you to drive on them for a bit if conditions permit but thats about all the knowledge i have on the subject

Old 10-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Last year I bought 2 sets of the diamonds pattern chains from les schwab during the snow storms just to have em, unfortunately I never got to test them out since the combination of my BFG all terrains and a light foot had me going anywhere I wanted to. So I never got to test the chains out and I even had to take the ones I bought for the front back since I found out you can't chain the front on the 4wd's. So I know it doesn't help but those are the one I have, good tires and throttle control will get you far, I didn't even throw it in 4wd half the time.

edit: If you decide to buy snow tires, studded or not, Nokian tyres are the best in the world, they hold the speed record.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCXka...layer_embedded

Last edited by Hoss356; 10-03-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss356
I have, good tires and throttle control will get you far, I didn't even throw it in 4wd half the time.
If there's 1" hardpack on the roads, I"ll throw it in 4wd. As long as it's sliding, there's no reason not to. It's not hurting anything and it makes playing that much more fun

Quick Reply: Chains