3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I was thinking SCT from hemifever for berndog as well. I've seen a lot of good reviews and when I talked w/ him he always got back to me quickly and let me know exactly what was going on. BTW berndog here are the links to the threads http://www.*********.com/forums/show...p%3BG+chrysler and here is the OP's impressions after I think he had to send it to them a second time http://www.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210292 (put "dodge talk" in w/ no spaces where the *'s are for the links to work). It seems like he was happy w/ it after he got it back the 2nd time but I don't know if he had to pay them any more or what, which is why I want to know how they do and if they have decent customer service. Eventually I think he got a Diablo from what I can tell.

Last edited by chambers; 06-12-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:39 PM
berndog67
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that sucks, didnt know they had some bad customer service and some possible bad tunes and or programming, i was thinking about SCT, but im unsure with the SRT8 6.1 injectors, 6.1 cam, 6.1 valvetrain, headers, full exhaust and intake, because idk if it will help the computer learn and run good, i know on its own it will def have problems and will take forever to run right, thats why i was thinking about B&G, cuz i heard some good things about there ability to do custom tuning for my different setup, does anyone know if sct, diablo, or superchips would be best for my setup and whether or not any of them would make my setup run right as far as the fuel and timing tables, i do want the ability to change octane too, cuz i usually run 91, but after everything is running good and i feel secure in running it through its paces, i do want to see what it will run, im hoping for 12's, but we will see, it is a RCSB, so that is def helping me get there, but the math is also helping, because i should have between 400 and 450 hp, dont know for sure til i get it running, because i cant really find anyone with anything like my setup, basically my motor is as close to an SRT's 6.1L hemi as you can get, the only real difference is that i have obviously have the slightly smaller displacement and the torque oriented truck intake(i do plan on changing that to the 6.1 setup soon too!), but i also have a much better intake system, complete 3" dual exhaust, e-fan, tuning advantage, weight advantage, etc.. so i guess we will see what the time slips say right

oh and a project update, i finally finished the exhaust and 02 sensor setup, started filling fluids and testing for leaks, no leaks so far! keeping the fingers crossed! looks like i need to get more trans fluid, thought i had more than i really did, and i dont seem to have any power steering fluid either, so tomorrow ill being getting and filling those and charging the battery, cuz its def dead or as close as you can get, so hopefully ill be starting it tomorrow or the day after!! oh and i did finally get the photobucket account i setup for the project updated, man the pics dont do it justice at all, i wish i had the extra money to get my tig welder fixed and use stainless for the exhaust, then this project would def look even better yet, looks like i need to get some more POR-15 that im using on my other frame off restoration project to undercoat my hemi ram, cuz she is starting to show her age underneath!

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Dodge%20Ram/

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the computer can learn it, there are guys already running it.

email hemifever@aol.com

I think thats his email address. Or email KRC

http://www.krcperformance.com/

they are the ones to talk to.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Yea I'd give any of the custom tuners a chance that can get you the handheld so you can have the option of multiple tunes. If they can't do it I'm sure they can point you in the direction of someone who can.

About B&G I pm'd the guy who's thread I linked to and he said B&G did a good job and they didn't charge him extra for the re-tune (they even overnighted it to get it back to him quick). I assume b/c it wasn't running w/ the initial one they sent him. That being said they clearly state no warranty or responsibility if their tune causes problems and also have a $150 charge for retuning listed on the site.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Just curious how much this buildup has cost u. Would it have been cheaper to buy a stock 09-10 Hemi motor? I've heard that the stock 09+ RCSB HEMI RAMS run pretty close to that same 1/4 mile time. Just wondering. Ur thread us huge, didn't wanna have to se!rich throufh the whole thing. Sorry if my question brings about feelings of redundancy. Lol.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM
donjohnk
Veteran

Dam Bern.... I wouldnt be able to handle that kinda of task. Your in Upstate NY, Id like to see that thing run.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM
berndog67
Rookie

Originally Posted by RawRam2006
Just curious how much this buildup has cost u. Would it have been cheaper to buy a stock 09-10 Hemi motor? I've heard that the stock 09+ RCSB HEMI RAMS run pretty close to that same 1/4 mile time. Just wondering. Ur thread us huge, didn't wanna have to se!rich throufh the whole thing. Sorry if my question brings about feelings of redundancy. Lol.
no thats ok, i dont mind answering any questions, i know that there are many of us out there that wanted to do this swap, but im pretty sure im one of the few that has actually dont it completely, so to answer your question it might have given me the power i was looking for (course im always wanting more, so i would have built it up anyways) but every sensor, mount, system, harness, etc.. in the truck would have had to been changed, making it much more expensive, using the 05 setup gives me many options to use the older and newer systems, but while using the 05 pcm, which is the engine and trans computer all in one, unlike the 03 and 04 setup which has two different computers and not much tuner support, plus the motor and trans that i got from a wrecked 05 durango would work 100 percent with the 05 setup as far as the sensors go, so that would be one less headache and save a little by not have to change sensors, and as far as the total money spent on this project, i actually dont know, when im dont soon and all is good, i will post a breakdown of everything, but for all the bigger things i can tell ya that the motor was 1300, trans was 500, various emissions parts totaling 150ish, ecm was 50 ( i got a deal), exhaust i built myself with summit racing parts but somewhere around 500 i think, but thats the headers right to the tips, 02 sensors were 115, 6.1 cam upgrade was 220, now those were most of the main parts i got originally, now when i found out my harness would not work and couldnt find an 05 engine bay/PD harness for the life of me, i went to hotwire auto and bought chris's $1500 conversion harness, now those are all the main parts, i have def spent more than that i know, considering all the clamps, hoses, fittings, hardware, tools, etc... but hopefully that sums up some of what your inquiring!

Originally Posted by donjohnk
Dam Bern.... I wouldnt be able to handle that kinda of task. Your in Upstate NY, Id like to see that thing run.
yeah its quite the task, alot more so than i expected, especially as far as the time, energy, sweat and the wallet! and im about 50 miles north of albany, so when it runs, im def down with anyone who wants to roll with me, i def plan on running this hard when i get a little used to it of course!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran

I'm actually thinkin of doing a 6.7L diesel swap. Complete driveline also.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 PM
berndog67
Rookie

jeez a 6.7 swap, now that would get my light truck some torque!!

well a project update!! ITS ALIVE!! ITS ALIVE!! (insert ace venture jokes, etc...)

finally fixed every leak and malfunction, had two exhaust leaks, had a problem with the 03-04 starter setup, was not strong enough at all, i did have an 05 starter i got in case, well i def ended up needing it, the only thing is that i have 03-04 hedman shorties, of course they didnt clear the 05 passenger side header, so i ended up using the stock header on the passenger side so i can get this inspected and renew my registration, then ill be getting some pacesetter LTs, i have heard they are pretty good, especially for what power im going for, i did have good fluid pressures and fill levels, no mechanical problems once the starter was fixed, i did also have a transmission pan leak, looks like they hit the gasket/rtv area in two spots with an angle grinder and they skimped on the rtv when the trans was drained and filled with royal purple before i got it, so when i filled it the first time it leaked, but man it was nice to see purple coming out when i pulled that pan, least i know the previous owner actually cared about the durango, so hopefully it lasts a long time! course i plan on putting in the stage 2 valvebody soon along with a deep pan and temp sensor, so this is really just to break it in for now, oh and does anyone know if the gasket or the rtv is better, because i have heard the rtv is better for the stock pan, cuz its steel and is usually beat on and not perfectly straight, and that the gasket is recommended for the after market ones, like cast aluminum, cuz its stronger and does not bend so the gasket seals better, i did use the gasket for now so it will be easy to clean it and replace the valvebody and pan here over the summer, i dont have any leaks or problems yet, so idk

well the first time i started it i threw 8 codes! the first 3 were pending codes, so they will be gone when i take it out on the road tomorrow, the 4th was the ambient air temp sensor, which i havent got yet, so that was expected, the last four were all trans codes, the first trans code was a system malfunction, the last 3 were all low, high and over drive line pressure codes, of course cuz i havent run the truck yet, so there was no fluid in every place within the trans, on the second startup all the codes cleared except for the ambient air temp sensor obviously, so i should be good for the road hopefully, i went through like a dozen start and run for 5 mins and shutoff cycles, trying to get the pcm to learn all the mods i have done, especially the cam, man that idle is ranging alot, starting to get better, i need to get it out on the straight local back roads now to get the rest of the rpm range learned, cuz it should chug out a few times still until it gets used to the trans, my driving style, etc... ill get some pics and vids as soon as i get a chance, cuz i still have to get it inspected and registered before too long cuz im overdue and i dont need anymore tickets, it will be two year in sept since my last one and i want to keep my trend going!!

ill update tomorrow after i get some road time on it and let you guys know how it is, man i cant wait, i have almost twice the power that i did from when i first got the truck, and an extra gear, so im hoping for a little bit better gas mileage too, especially due to the JTEC to PCM change!!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
jerre.place

Sounds awesome. I have a few questions as I am doing my swap to the same exact truck with the 07 Hemi and trans. Did you have to modify your oil pan and why and how? Also did you go with an electric fan to get more hp? What headers fit in the engine compartment? Do you know anything about the OBX kit on ebay that comes with the CATs, headers and y-pipe?

FYI I replaced all of my wiring with the 07's and put in the complete dash as well instead of doing all the research for pin outs.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!