3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Raaaamyourmom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 Dodge ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi. I blew my engine and my friend wrecked his 04 Dodge ram. He's giving me his engine which is also a 5.7 hemi. I was wondering. Instead of installing the 04 pcm and harnesses if I use my 03 pcm and harnesses on the 04 hemi. Will it run correctly or no?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

As long as you are swapping just the engine you will be fine with your existing PCM and harnesses.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Black Jack
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot clown pole unless I just had uber cheddar to spend. I remember a guy on a Jeep forum talking about wanting to swap a Hemi in his Grand Cherokee WK. After much deliberation I believe he wised up after given much info to abort his dilusion of "Hemi Madness" and said some bs about dropping a 350 in it. Well anyways I think it would be a wanted swap if I had a 4.7 but I'm sure that it's expensive and consuming with at Ram also. I'd say replace the 4.7 and build it up. i know that with as much money as someone would spend swapping crap out and dealing with inspection headaches, I'd use that money and build the 4.7 from bottom up. Either that or make your Ram a mud toy or track terror and just buy a used Ram with a Hemi.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

YES- I put a 2004 Motor AND transmission in my 2001 Dakota Quad cab and used a 2003 wiring harness ..It's not that big of a deal..I drive my truck daily..
BUT- If you can get the 2004 Harness and computer that came with the 2004 Motor and Transmission you would be better off for a couple reasons..One : is the EGR..The 2003 didn't come with an EGR setup- So you'll have to take it off or by pass it like I did mine..Two- Is the fact that a 2003 has a separate ECM and TCM and they don't sell a lot of tuners or chips to work with the ECM and even less to adjust the TCM and transmission...They sell a better selection of tuners for the 04' and 05'..This is not a big deal if your staying stock,and you have a 5-45 RFE-/and Not a 45-rfe....Other than that you should be fine with that swap..
If you need pin-outs and harness information go to my thread "Dakota Hemi Swap!!!With Pics!!! You'll find detailed info on that swap and all the wiring info you need...If you have questions you can write me// @- gbgbrose@yahoo.com..

Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 AM
berndog67
Rookie

yeah sorry for the lack of forum activity, been working six days a week to finish getting the the rest of the closing costs for a house im getting, that plus the snow i havent worked much on it in a couple months

anyways yes i would recommend using the 05 pcm and harness over 03's and 04's any day, the trans programming upgrades make a huge difference, its like night and day when it comes to the upgrades that u do to the engine, due to more power getting to the ground, better and firmer shifts, etc...

and weedahoe if ur looking for an 05 harness and computer, i have several 05 computers extra from my swap, cuz i bought like 4 or 5 back then, hoping at least one would not have a stock security system, cuz if its enabled its useless, cuz it cant be reprogrammed easily, so hows 60 bucks sound and ill send ya one, cuz thats what i paid for each of them, and yes they are all free of skim keys, oh and hit ebay for the harness, i have seen a torrent of harnesses from 03-09 hit ebay the last month, ranging from 250-450, so there not too badly priced either, and many have the best offer option too, so theres a chance for savings too

now as far as my hemi ram, im kinda still in the same boat i have been for months, i just cant seem to get the dam thing outta park, it runs and great might i add, i know that cuz every time i start it and let it run u can see all the neighbors blinds and shades start moving, windows closing and heads turning, but the fact that im still paying the payments and insurance for it and cant drive it really just sucks, now i have determined the problem to be mechanical i believe, because there are no codes or fuse problems, i tested all the pins in the trans connector and nothing wrong there either, even checked them against the wiring diagram to see if one or more were wrong, but everything is right, so my next day off im going to take and remove the shifter cable from the trans and put the truck up on jack stands and see if i can get it outta park by shifting it by hand and see if the cable isnt shifting it to the right spot, cuz there isnt much else that can be wrong, if anyone has any other ideas let me know, cuz im about to put the old trans that was in it back in to see if its the trans itself, cuz my trans shops around here wont take a look cuz its "too modified" of a truck, that they dont even want to try, believe it or not one of the trans shops said they might have changed the shift range indicator in the column or dash might have been changed from 02 to 05 and that might tell the computer theres something wrong so it doesnt shift outta park due to that, now i have never heard that about any car, but im going to pickup an 05 dash from a hemi ram that my local used parts place just got in, so maybe that might help, im also looking for an 05 column too, figured i might as well get that swapped out so i can use the cruise if i want to later, oh and i also picked up an 05 srt10 ram dash on ebay for cheap back in december, so when i get this truck moving and shifting right, ill swap that dash in to see if it works and ill let u guys know and have pics, cuz i havent heard of anyone doing that yet, so i figured that if it works it would be a nice little upgrade and face lift over that bland dash that most rams have!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

THX but I just bought a 05 PCM and all the harnesses. 06+ has MDS so cant use those.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Barn..I had trans shifting problems when I first started my truck.Does your neutral work ? When you put it in neutral "Will it roll"?If so then it's "Most likely"-mechanical..If not, check these wires..
PCM-C4.plug wires.
Pin #.wire Colors may be different,but pins "should be" the same.
#11-T140(yl/gy) Pressure control Solenoid.
Check your grounds...
#12.Z908-#13.Z977-#14.Z904-All should be (Bk)(-) These are sensor Grounds for this plug.If somethings not grounded good it will give you problems.
#34-T13(dg/vt) Should be another sensor ground. (-)
#18-T515?(yl/db) Trans. Relay"Control".To Transmission..
#19-T16 (yl/or) Trans.Relay "OUTPUT".Make sure these two wires aren't switched.
#28-T16 (yl/or) Trans.Relay "OUTPUT"I didn't have these wires right.that's why mine would not shift...
#38-T16 (yl/or) Trans.Control,Relay OUTPUT..All output wires go to the relay in pdc.
#37-T42(dg/yl) TRS-T42 Sensor.- I think this is your Park Neutral wire.
Check these two...
#29-T50(yl/tn) Low/Rev-Pressure switch Trans."sensor".
#10-20 (dg/wt)Low/Rev-Solenoid "Control"..
Check these two..
#15-T1 (dg/lb) TRS - T1."Sensor"..
#16-T3 (dg/db)TRS - T3."Sensor"..
The last thing is the C-1 Plug #26-(wt/or)."IF" it's there,it's for the SCI Receive.It might not be there...
The wires listed are wires that can cause the transmission not to shift from the park position.I don't claim to know everything..This is only a suggestion as to what "might" be wrong.I hope it helps.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:08 PM
jimbodude

Try “painless wiring”. A company that specializes in wiring modifications and building harnesses.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 232 Likes on 212 Posts

Ten years, dude LOL

Old 11-03-2021, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Ten years, dude LOL
Almost 11......

Good thing necromancy isn't actually illegal.

Quick Reply: Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!