3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
berndog67
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i know its been awhile since i have updated, this project has taken alot longer and alot more money than anticipated, but im literally finishing the last bit of the exhaust today, and hoping to start and do some testing today or tomorrow, so fingers crossed and knocking on wood i should be done with this and finally drive it again!

well to address some concerns about the motor mounts, those were test pieces if you read the whole thread, cuz i have had many questions about that, as you can tell from the plates behind the motor mounts, they have alot of holes and slots i used to get the motor straight and level, i finally found the setup i liked and worked, so i tacked them with my little 110 mig, cuz thats all i had out and setup ready to go, and as for the pic, yeah it was taken too close and the flash was on, so it looks alot worse! after getting everything else test fit, i have since taken them out, made a permanent plate with just the four holes and tig welded them, also as you can tell some of the bolts were the old stock ones and some werent even in all the way, i was just to excited about getting it in and finishing the test fitting that i had to snap a few pics, but anyways there is the explanation of those not so good tack welds

well as for the whole project, i have since changed out many things to make my truck obd2 emissions compliant and so i wont throw any codes, i have custom mounted the ait sensor in my custom dual inlet ram air intake, you cant even tell its there unless you really look

i have put in my custom built complete wiring harness from HotwireAuto.com, let me tell you yes it is pricey at 1500, but he knows his stuff, he is doing the same project i am, he can tell you everything you need to know about his swap too, i wouldnt go anywhere else again for questions, he also flashed my computer for my vin and setup, and well finding a computer was 3 months in the making too! i just had the worst luck and came across so many used parts places that lied it made me sick, but i eventually found two that would work, so i had both flashed for my vin and setup, im using one now, and the other is going to B&G Performance for a good tune for my crazy setup, now the harness plugs in nicely and works great, routing it is the fun part, cuz there is extra length for which i asked for, so it doesnt even look like i have a harness in the trucks engine bay, the only thing is that i couldnt use my fuel injection harness that i made (the blue one!), because his setup is the whole thing, goes right to the injectors and everything, but thats ok, ill find a nice home for it eventually

i finally got all the plumbing and electrical done too, it really is weird how similar the 4.7 and hemi setups are, but every size hose, length, routing, sensors, etc.. were different, what a headache hitting the local hardware store two or three times a day is, plus all those fittings and plumbing adds up too, i have cobbed up the 4.7 overflow tank over the passenger side fenderwell for now, thats just til the srt10 overflow tank shows up, i figured the extra coolant and ease of mounting and placement of it would help out, im going to mount it next to the radiator on the passenger side, plenty of extra room there

the emissions system sucks! sorry had to get that out, for rams the 02 and older have the ldp system, most 03's and newer will have the nvld system, yes they look simialiar, but they work completely different ways, and the newer one will have less lines to route, so it creates headaches there too, so the hemi has to have the nvld system, because it is completely electronic, and it is really hard to find a used parts place that will actually keep them is very hard, i was told it was because they rarely break, so its would be a waste of inventory space, so if anyone is planning on doing this swap, plan on either getting a wrecked ram with everything you will ever need, or look online and literally search every parts place you can, i found my unit on ebay actually

oh and a really great national parts search engine is: www.car-part.com you can search most used parts places in the us, i did find a few parts i needed on there like my computers, and a few miscellaneous parts that i couldnt find locally

as far as the exhaust goes, i had some real headaches too, i first started with the stock manifolds and was getting just a pacesetter y-pipe and use my stock 4.7 cat section of pipe, because from there back i have my own 3in dual exhaust, the problem is that the stock cat section of pipe is 2 1/4 and i would have 3 in before and after the cat, so it would be very restrictive, plus i need to run 4 o2 sensors not 2, so i came across a deal on ebay again for a new set of holley/hedman shorty headers, then i made a nice big order to summit racing equipment for a bunch of 3 in bends from 30 to 90 degrees, header extensions and a 4' piece of 3in pipe, cuz i had some already but not quite enough to do the rest of the exhaust, i basically ran the exhaust down each side of the frame rails with a magnaflow universal 3in catalytic converters inline, until they get behind the transfer case, and just before the frame cross member i ran the passenger side exhaust straight across under the transfer case and then both go back into a y-pipe, then into the muffler, which is a single inlet with dual exit, it came with the dual exhaust kit, and i dont have the extra money right now to make the system a real dual exhaust all the way back, but i made the y-pipe in line with the muffler, so all i have to do is cut the y-pipe and remove the muffler and put in dual glasspacks with some more straight pipe, but for now this system should sound and work great! very unrestricted! i hope i pass emissions and the dreaded look over part of my dam nys inspection i have to get soon, cuz im overdue actually! oh and as for headers that are supposed to be for stock ball and socket type connections, STAY AWAY FROM THEM! they cant be bolted to any size reducer or flange, they use 2.75" flanges so i found out, so you have to use there y-pipes, but i made there headers even better and made it so i could bolt on my 3" header extensions by cutting that ball and socket joint off and welding on a 3" flange over there 2.75" flange, that way i can bolt on the 3" header extensions i got, it also made the headers less restrictive, this exhaust is def setup for no restrictions, i should be able to put a lot of power to that motor and that exhaust will only get better sounding and still flow good too!

well today ill be finishing putting the o2 sensor bungs in, filling the rest of the fluids, charging the battery, cuz yes it is dead by now, and testing, so hopefully it will be done soon, cuz im dying to drive this bad one to work and all over town too! the local cops should be interesting to see how many times they try to pull me over for loud exhaust, ill have to have my receipts with me to avoid the bull crap tickets on that one!

as always the photobucket account i setup for this project i will finally update later after getting back from working on the truck, cuz i need to get up there and finish it, later

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Dodge%20Ram/

Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
berndog67
Rookie

well i have gotten plenty of questions about my setup so i figure ill list all the major things i have done, cuz i have done many different things to my hemi, i have even done a few things to make it look different, many of you realize the intake as the most obvious one!

• complete 6.1 cam and valvetrain upgrade
  • ported and polished the heads, intake and throttle body myself
  • cut all unnecessary plastic off the intake, looks more like a cross between a 4.7 truck intake and a 6.1 car intake!
  • Taylor shorty 8.2 mm wires
  • blue heavy gauge grounding kit
  • 09 Challenger SRT8 fuel rail
  • 09 Challenger SRT8 fuel injectors
  • Hedman/Holley Shorty headers w/ ball and socket joint cut off
  • complete dual 3" exhaust with free flowing cats and muffler
  • electric fans
  • royal purple for all fluids of course
  • i have a stage 2 valvebody for the trans coming and a performance torque convertor
  • i also have one of my computers going to B&G Performance for a nice tune up, because my setup needs new fuel and timing maps for sure!
well thats what i have done so far, but there will be plenty more in store in the future for sure!!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Blk05HEMI
Veteran

Wow Good job!!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Matt99
Champion

I bet that thing is gonna roll

Old 06-12-2010, 06:35 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job I hope you have more ludk than I'm having with mine.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought yours was all up and running hemidak-quad?

Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berndog67
  • i also have one of my computers going to B&G Performance for a nice tune up, because my setup needs new fuel and timing maps for sure!
Let me know how that B&G tune works out and how they treat you, I'm looking into having them flash my pcm as well and I've read a lot of mixed reviews.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM
berndog67
Rookie

Originally Posted by chambers
Let me know how that B&G tune works out and how they treat you, I'm looking into having them flash my pcm as well and I've read a lot of mixed reviews.
really, i havent heard anything bad, has anyone had one done up by them that can give some insight, what are the cons or problems people have had

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
Good job I hope you have more luck than I'm having with mine.
why are you having trouble with anything, cuz im pretty much done, so i could prolly answer any questions or solve most of the problems your having

Old 06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I've seen some reviews of guys getting the pcm back and it caused a CEL or some other issue and Dave wouldn't respond to their emails for a retune. There was also a thread on dodge talk where Nick/airram talked about how he spent almost $1k on a B&G and was very disappointed. I'll see if I can find it again.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why don't you just run SCT berndog.

Chambers, obviously you can't because of your motor. But I don't see why berdog doesn't go to a fully custom/adjustable tune.

Quick Reply: Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!