3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

picked up my tires yesterday FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:02 AM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disturbedgator
Thanks for clearing that up! Didnt think they would post 4 times while i was posting!
Cant wait to see another 2wd truck lifted to hell, with huge rims and little sidewall on mud terrains. Ill take my so-so modded truck in the rough stuff any day over that. But congrats on your mods! To all their own!
thanks

Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disturbedgator
Thanks for clearing that up! Didnt think they would post 4 times while i was posting!
Cant wait to see another 2wd truck lifted to hell, with huge rims and little sidewall on mud terrains. Ill take my so-so modded truck in the rough stuff any day over that. But congrats on your mods! To all their own!
why does mud matter??

Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 AM
xill
Captain

figured this would come up... i got MTs cuz they look way better on my setup than ATs or street tires. same reason people switch their grilles, add chrome fender trim, paint the headlamps, put on halos, or remove their badges. it's just the look and style that appeals to them. honestly there's no mud in my neck of the woods, only hard sand (which even honda civics have zero problem treading through), which is odd considering every other truck on the road out here sits on 35s with 18s or 20s and a 6" lift. so really there's no logical reason for my tire choice other than personal preference and my own desire to be a little different from the rest of the traffic. a countless number of people drop their truck an inch from the pavement and put on 22s or 24s with little rubber band tires which render their truck completely useless for hauling anything other than groceries. it's kind of funny that i posted on here a month or two ago showing off my new LED 3rd brake light and everyone had nice things to say about it. those that didnt like it didnt say anything. it's not like that added to my truck's performance, it was purely for looks. the difference between that change and this change is money. but what people don't understand is that it's my money that i earn on my own and spend how i please. its only when you start spending alot of money do people for some reason get critcial as if it somehow puts a dent in their own bank accounts. no worries my family is well taken care of, my bills are always paid before their due dates, i tithe 10% every week, donate to charities every month, and i didn't purchase anything on credit, so the money i spend on my toys doesn't detract from any of my responsibilities or hurt anyone in any way at all.

if i'm ranting i apologize, but i've seen this on almost every other truck forum i've read so far and i wanna stop it here before it even starts. if you like what i'm doing then a big thumbs up to you brother, you understand me if you dont like it (and have no constructive criticism to offer), then there are many other threads on this site that you will enjoy, so dont waste your time with this one

Old 10-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Curiusgeorge
Rookie

Well said! I'm in the budget phase of building my truck because I had to take a lower paying job after I closed my business. That being said, I can't remember having a better time with a hobby, or a internet forum. I was really depressed after my shop closed and now I look forward to coming on here and finding my next mod and searching craigslist for parts. IMO, there's nothing more satisfying than finding a good deal or completing the latest mod. My family now knows to buy me parts for bday and xmas gifts.

Eventually, I'll put a lift on my truck, but then I'm gonna have to carry around a ladder so my wife can get into the truck. She's only 5'4".

Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said man. i like what your doing, its gonna look sweet. its your truck and do what you want to it.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:53 PM
xill
Captain

thanks guys, i just dont want this thread to become a bashing session like all the others out there. thats just not what i come here for.

im with you curius, i love this hobby, i love my truck, and i love these forums! its been years since i was into modding out any vehicle, but this is my first truck believe it or not. before this i was into f-bodies but always had an eye for the rams. im having a blast with this and thats all that matters to me keeps my mind off of work and there's no greater satisfaction to me then cruising the town in my truck. its my escape

Old 10-18-2009, 02:32 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Man you suck lol. I'm trying to figure out how i can afford my 285's and you get these.

Here's my question. The truck in your picture is a 2500 so it has the heavy duty brakes, steering, and axles. How is the front end of the 1500 going to hold up to the size of these things? Thats a lot of weight with the wheels and the tires. It just seems the ball joints, tie rods, and brakes will be screaming for mercy with these. Sorry to be the downer. I'm just curious.

BTW I have the early 4.7 which makes less power than yours. With 4.88's it ought a be just fine. Good luck.

Originally Posted by xill
here's a pic of the truck i fell in love with, this is pretty much what i'm modeling my ram after. only difference is he's got rockstars instead of monsters

Old 10-18-2009, 02:36 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by That1guy
Man you suck lol. I'm trying to figure out how i can afford my 285's and you get these.

Here's my question. The truck in your picture is a 2500 so it has the heavy duty brakes, steering, and axles. How is the front end of the 1500 going to hold up to the size of these things? Thats a lot of weight with the wheels and the tires. It just seems the ball joints, tie rods, and brakes will be screaming for mercy with these. Sorry to be the downer. I'm just curious.

BTW I have the early 4.7 which makes less power than yours. With 4.88's it ought a be just fine. Good luck.
Our trucks, 37s are about all the bigger tires that you want to turn, myself, I don't know any difference in weight between his tires and 37s.
However this turns out, it'll be very interesting to know. If he does everything properly and isn't too hard on it, he shouldn't have any problems.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
That1guy
Veteran

I know what you mean. I'm sure there is a big difference between 37's with 17 inch wheels and 24 inch wheels. Just seems to be alot for an IFS system.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:13 PM
ram man17
Captain

I love what your doin with your truck! If I could, I would do the EXACT same! But I have some really disappointing news for you........now you cant go through the mcdonalds drive thru anymore! And even if you went to drive thru without those clearence bars I know for sure the person handing you your food would have to climb out that window to hand you your food! haaha that would be a sight to see! But on the bright side, your truck's gonna be gorgeous!

Quick Reply: picked up my tires yesterday FINALLY!