3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Anybody else get this at 120k+ miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
mellino19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystro
You must be talking about buying a used Audi S4 because a new S4 is around $55k??? You can almost buy two new Ram 1500 for that. Strange leap of vehicles. Kinda like saying my Honda Accord sucks so I am going to buy a Porsche 911.
haha oh of course used, hahah I get what you're saying. well yea i was looking at like, 2000 S4's they're around $8-9000.

I like all different cars that why its such a weird jump, I want too many lol.

One main thing that drew me to it was the twin turbo v6 and its AWD capability. but the thing that drew me away was the retardedly high cost of maintaining it and how much just an ENGINE COVER cost (like $300 FOR A ****ING COVER!!) so i'm staying american until I have a full-time career job.

it's just basically one of the cars I like that would have ***** and move in the winter here in boston thats another big reason i liked it

Old 10-24-2009, 08:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

No way in hell I would by and 2000 S4. Thats a car thats seen some miles and usage and got some age. With those things there you are asking to donate a lot of money in parts and special tools

Old 10-25-2009, 01:42 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

WHy would you go thru the fenderwells to get to the plugs that are in the middle of the valve covers? Maybe with a body lift, but I will be able to get mine from the top. It's just a little tight around the brake booster. No different than the DOHC 4.6L that I put plugs and wires on today.
If the plugs were in the side of the heads like the wedge engines, I could understand the fenderwell thing.

The 4.7L plugs are up top by the intake manifold. Even easier to access than the Hemi.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

With mine, it was just easier to pull the wheels and liners. Im sure you could get a ratchet in there for the plugs and coils but there is so many wires and other things on the top side of the VCs and engine. There is very little on the bottom side of the VCs.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:47 AM
hemidel
Professional

I know its already been resolved, but im with everyone else about the maintenance. Im sure you have a good truck, but preventive maintenance is the key to pro long life of your vehicle. Just think of it this way, would you rather pay for afforadable maitenance, or pay for costly repairs....... Well, good luck on your truck.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
mellino19
Rookie

Oh you guys are gonna LOVE this!!! So friday, truck is running great, no problems, oil level and pressure is fine and full, all gauges are fine. I park at my work, 7 hours later I leave that night and my truck sounds like ****, like, beyond it. First I hear what sounded like a pouring or dripping, but it had no scent at all, sounded like it was in the front right by the passenger floorboard. I pulled out my obdII reader and it says I have a misfiring cylinder in one of the cylinders I just replaced, must be a coil pack now. I put the truck in drive and started going and when I hit about 3K RPM's before the shift it starts to sound weird as hell, like not right at all. I didn't know what the problem was so I continued to drive, but like an old lady not even going over 30 worried something might happen.

The next day I have my father listen, at first he asked if the sound usually clears up, I didn't know what he meant because I didn't hear and puttering but since he has the ear for it noticed it, he leans in on the engine and pulls the throttle body to give the truck some gas while in park (running obviously) and when it hit a certain RPM he heard the noise I heard the previous night. He instantly has an "oh ****" look and tone of voice, while I'm standing there like what what what what?! He says the engine is wrapping, meaning its on its way out...So of course the both of us are like, what the **** now I have to get a new engine.

We looked online and saw tons of reviews for the 02 4.7L saying that there are rocker problems, they just pop off and this could be the sound. Also the 4.7 apparently has sludge build up problems EVEN WITH SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE! One guy's review said he got oil changes every 1500 miles and had the receipts from Chrysler and everything and this still happened to his truck, the sludge built up and something happened with the rocker and the engine just went.

I'm hoping this can be just a rocker fix, but if I have to get a new engine I will not be happy...I'm just glad he's knows people and we may be able to pull a 4.7 out of a totaled durango from a body shop by his work for cheap. But if it's gonna be a lot and I can't do anything then my Ram may have to go bye-bye

Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 PM
tazzar2009

I would look into this a bit more, while it could be a rocker issue I would also concider blown headgasket or cracked head. Some of these had issues with the heads cracking between the exhaust valves with higher milage. Since you have had coolent issues with blown hoses and heater issues those all can point to a blown headgasket do to high pressure in the cooling system as well as air in the form of exhaust getting forced into your radiator. Blown headgaskets and cracked heads can also be caused from not bleeding all the air out of the system when you refilled coolant( see my edit below). The headgasket leak can usually be detected by testing the radiator for combustion gases via an inexpensive testing kit available at most any automotive parts store.. I hope it is just a simple rocker issue. While you have it tore down drop some 206 cams in there

EDIT: I didn't get far enough into your thread to see you have other issues now. Ok first off these trucks are known for having air pockets in the aluminum heads and heater coil if you don't bleed them out. You replaced the hoses but when you replaced them and refilled your coolant did you remove the plug on the thermostat housing and bleed the air out of the system? Also it can very well be a clogged radiator or heater coil. I have heard of some of these having cast iron peices clogging radiators that didn't get cleaned out from the casting of the block. I would start with the air bleed port first since it is a no cost fix if thats your problem, then I would get a radiator cap test and check the cooling system.

Last edited by tazzar2009; 11-01-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:21 AM
maxmumboom

I have had/have similar problems. I purchased my 02scsb 4x4 4.7l 1500 a year an a half ago with 92k miles. my first issue was a misfire at the #2 cyl. i pulled the plug and the tip was missing ant the rest was corroded. I replaced the plug, and had the sme problem 1000miles later. I figured it was a head or head gasket so like a cheap F_CK i used BARS headgsket repair. It worked for a while, then came back. It turns out that I had a clogged injector and i kept running lean. so some symptoms can mimic others.
Since then i have replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat, upper/lower coolant hoses.
I was geting bad mileage from dirty injectors. I fixed all of this and then my factory clutch fan went bad and stayed in the locked position, hence the bad fuel economy and lose of power. My solution????? LS1 fans from a 97 and up chevrolet corvette.
As for yourlack of heat in your truck>>>>>> I lost my heat only on the driver side of the truck. the vents blow cold. The passenger side vents blow hot. My heat only works when its set on recirculate on the first 3 fan speeds high speed fan= ice cold air. I cant figure it out. I have flushed my coolant system several times ans still nothing. Some tech pages and info on this forum point to a bad door/flap under the dash in the HVAC system.

The audi idea sounds great, if you can swing it go for it. I drive a 91 Skyline GTR, an 08 EvoX, a 97 Vette, and my most driven 02 ram. (Before someone flames me about the cars, ill post pics )
I hope this helps someone.

If anyone need help with the ls1 fan walk through, let me know itll make a how to on it.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
mellino19
Rookie

my dad pulled the valves off and looked at everything, it was the rocker which slipped off the camshaft i guess, he fixed it and its hoping it'll stay, but we're gonna order new camshafts anyways

Quick Reply: Anybody else get this at 120k+ miles?