3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery not holding volts

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
dazza
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery not holding volts

Hi All

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram quad cab 5.7 Hemi here in the UK, if i dont use it for 3-5 days the battery goes flat, it has an alarm fitted and i am told its not that that is draining the power, how can i find out whats wrong with it, i haven't left the lights on and it has the Battery saver fitted which cuts off the power it the lights are left me!

Please Help

From Across the Pond

Darren

Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you need a new battery.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:57 AM
dazza

Originally Posted by nim81
sounds like you need a new battery.
Sorry forgot to say i have just paid £300 quid for a new Ulimate Profromance battery, thats $480

Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have access to an ammeter, you can measure the current draw at the battery with the truck off. This will show you if there is a parasitic draw someplace. You can then remove 1 fuse at a time to see which circuit is causing the problem. A bad alternator will cause an excessive draw as well when shut off.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, i agree on testing the current draw on it so you can narrow down what is causing the dead battery.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also check your alt fuse i had one in my old truck just blow from installing new battery which caused the alt to not charge battery? just an idea also most auto stores here anyway will test alternators for free....

Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you got one out of a bad batch, is there a warranty?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 AM
dazza

Thanks for all your replys, no there is no warranty, i will do the battery checks with the meter and let you no the outcome, its been converted to LPG duel fuel and was wondering if the LPG computer is staying on! i have been told that there is a trickle charger that fits to the battery and plugs into the house mains that will give it 12volts but i would rafter check the cause first!

Many Thanks

From across the Pond

Darren

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

i would put on a charger in the mean time until you figure out what the problem is. Draining the power out of your battery on a regular basis is not good for it. it needs to keep a constant charge to last.

One thing you could do without much effort. Unplug the battery's positive terminal afte the battery if fully chagred and let it set for the few days if you can afford it. If the battery has full charge after then, you know the problem is from an accessory drain.

Also, i purchased an Optima battery for my Mustang. it went dead within 2 weeks. i got another one and the same thing happened. i found out later on that if you don't fully charge certain batteries, they will not "learn" to hold a charge and they go bad real quick. this is similar with Lithium type batteries used everyday. Those are reccomended to fully charge and then afte they are charged, try and recharge them again before use. this method actually teaches the battery to hold more of a charge and last longer. Although most batteries off the shelf are done this way from the factory. it's just that they sit on the shelf for a few months before they get charged again.

Quick Reply: Battery not holding volts