3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torsion leveling and front end wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Trigger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion leveling and front end wear

Hi guys
Please don't shoot me I did a search and my question was not directly answered.

I would like to put a 2" torsion key leveling kit on my 04. (No cranking) Just to get it level. Nothing extreme. Maybe install a slightly bigger tire.

What kind of front end problems will I encounter after installing these? I drive all street.
I'd like to hear from some of you who have had your torsion keys in for several thousand miles. Will I be replacing ball joints each year? How fast will it trash the CV joints?

Last edited by Trigger; 10-27-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:08 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

alot of people have theirs leveled without any major problems that i have heard, just get an alignment after

Old 10-23-2009, 03:21 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I did a leveling kit with new keys and have regretted it ever since. The reason is because I went with the included add-a-leaf and a little longer shocks. The longer shocks cause the upper ball joints to max out too often causing the joint to fail. I'm at 80k miles (50k with the leveling kit), and I'm on my 3rd set of upper control arms. I'm going full suspension lift when I get the money. Just don't raise the rear or put on longer shocks otherwise you'll be in the same boat I am. Also, I don't wheel my truck at all. just leave the stock keys in and crank up the bars, and you should be good to go.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Trigger
Professional

I don't want to just crank the stock keys up. If I do this, I'll buy aftermarket keys. Will stock length shocks work with a leveling kit? I have a set of Bilsteins on now with only 10k on them. I'd hate to get rid of them. They are an excellent shock.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

just save yp and buy a suspension lift or a body lift. you are going to run into problems eaither way keyss with stock shocks will bottom out on every bump longer will put wear on components its a toss up .

Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey just crank them. I cranked mine about 30k miles ago and had no problems other than my self inflicted knock. I jumped my truck and blew out a chock and now there is a knock when i hit small bumps. but hey its a truck, it'll get abused, i just will NEVER off road it again however haha. But just crank the torsions. It's FREE. Just DO IT and if you don't like it, loosen them back up.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Trigger
Professional

hmm there's a lot of conflicting info on this subject. 2 more things:

1) Will my stock length Bilsteins work?

2) Anyone have instructions on how to crank them up? Can it be done in a back yard garage?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

you can keep the stock shocks if you get relocation brackets. Just make sure if you crank or get the newkets to make sure you get an alignment done.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Trigger
Professional

Originally Posted by 02dodgeram5.9
you can keep the stock shocks if you get relocation brackets. Just make sure if you crank or get the newkets to make sure you get an alignment done.
Relocation brackets?? I wasn't aware something like this is available.

Sorry for all the questions. I want to do this correctly.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

You can find them on Ebay or you can find them on this link which is where I ended up getting them from as well as the leveling keys..pretty cheap..also that is what bilstein told me to use was the relocation brackets. Truxx makes keys as well and throw in a relocation bracket but cost a whole lot more money. But here is the link and hope that helps you out:

http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/share...t=products.asp

Quick Reply: Torsion leveling and front end wear